Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks again for the quick reply!

If my plan is Free and Clear with vision, and the plan includes VoiceCommand, how do I add that capability to my plan if it's already there?

Can you recommend a browser that will work to access SprintPCS?

Originally posted by Bobacus

Also on th vc thing. Bolth phones must have vc. They do not share that option. It is a phone specific thing. sorry. [/B]
  2.    #22  
    You want and check if you have vc on both phones(call up. sorry) also you maybe able to ad it to the phone that does not have it. extra cost though.

Some people have suggested xiino. I'm not to familiar w/it so try at your own risk. Also, one other reason Blazer may not work is it doesn't have th Javscript needed to support sites either. From what I have heard. Xiino seems to be better at this.
    Can dial up to an ISP be used with the Treo 300 and Sprint? I'd like to be able to surf using my night and weekend minutes.

Thanks,

Kami
    In relation to the original thread posting...

Blazer does support 128-bit encryption and the usual secure certificates. However Blazer does not always gain access to HTTPS: sites because of server side scripts which detect the browser tag and refuse to allow the session to continue with Non IE or Netscape browser ID.

Occasionally it seems to be a JavaScript or Java issue preventing access to a secure page but it is primarily the browser tag policy of the site which prevents access. If it bugs you, send a message to webmaster@<name of site> to complain about their lack of support for mobile browsers.
    The previous post seemed to imply a server issue. *2 told me a few days ago that the "site is being updated".
    Heh -- love the subject line.

Originally posted by Bobacus
    Sorry iggy (and others) I suggest you all read your users guide, literature and boxes VERY carefully. From what I've been told the 128 encryption on the blazer is not "true" 128. It is not the standard most websites have.
    Nonsense. SSL encryption is either 40-bit, 56-bit, or 128-bit. It can't be "sort of 128-bit". Blazer's 128-bit SSL implementation may be buggy, but it's either 128-bit or it's not, and Handspring's site very clearly states the former. People can read their boxes and so forth as carefully as they want, and they aren't going to read anything to the contrary.
    Rats.... My Sprint rep. couldn't find this plan....

Originally posted by dmw819
    i did not get the CS rep's name but i did get the
    $69 800/5200 8 MB plan 2 yr commitment

My rep said I could add up to FIVE phones on this plan with NO extra charges whatsoever. ....
    It would be perfect, especially when we try to add our 16-year-old once he starts driving. :-) Is there anyway you can possibly explain where to find it... or ... would you be able to go to your Sprint PCS "manage Sprint" webpage, then click on "My Plan" at the top and possibly please copy and paste the contents of the page into a message here or *anything*... because that plan is *not* showing up to all the reps.

In the meantime, I'll call back another rep tomorrow night. This time I'll make sure I have the earbud with me. Staying on hold for 20 minutes at 1:30am isn't my idea of fun if I have to hold that phone up to my ear the whole time! PLus... the music was *really* distorting, like their CD was warped! That just made matters worse. :-)

Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug
    With 6 or 7 hours of sprint hold time under my belt, I learned 2 things...

1. The speakerphone mode is a godsend if your local environment allows.

2. While I liked their jazzy hold music loop at 1st.... It drives me crazy now. I feel like that guy from A Clockwork Orange...
    Is *2 faster than a landline call to "claire" (aka the b*tch from buchenwald)?

It seems faster, but I don't have enough data to make a statistically significant staement.
    There is no way you have 5 phones for no cost. 1st is no cost. 3, 4, and 5 are $20 each. They share minutes but have their own data.

On a positive note, I have been told the audio quality is great with the Treo. I have used normal, speaker and earbud. I was concerned since I heard bad things when they launched the 180s.

On a gripe... why couldn't they make the headset a stereo jack for listening to MP3s?????
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Originally posted by cfsully
    There is no way you have 5 phones for no cost. 1st is no cost. 3, 4, and 5 are $20 each. They share minutes but have their own data.

On a positive note, I have been told the audio quality is great with the Treo. I have used normal, speaker and earbud. I was concerned since I heard bad things when they launched the 180s.

On a gripe... why couldn't they make the headset a stereo jack for listening to MP3s?????
    I don't think the Treo 300 will play MP3's will it?

Would be cool if it Did.

P.S. Cnet.com is probably going to be doing a story on why Sprint 3g is sucking so bad. They are sending some people over to look at this forum.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Sully, never say never. What you guys are not taking into account is that they have consumer plans, and BUSINESS plans. On a consumer side, only rate plans which cost more than $89.99 have free additional phones. However, I have had 5 free phones on a business plan for years. All depends on the type of plan you ask for, and the division of SPCS you talk to.

No one person is smarter than anyone else on this forum, and the arrogance people show is really annoying. Some of us have more information, others have less. Getting hostile misses the point of the board ... lower the heat on the flames, and you might acutally learn something from your fellow boardmates.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    To Dr. C and all others who anticipate 50 - 70 kbs on their Treos:

Please do not take this as a sign of disrespect, but you all do realize there is a difference (ie a factor of 8) between kilobits per second and kiloBYTES per second, right? A dial-up 56K modem can achieve speeds no greater than 6-7 kbs, and typically no more than 3-5 -- when you watch the numbers roll by (I have had blaer and a dial-up connection for about 2 years now, and let me tell you, this is not as fast as you might think)

So if you are loading a 200 kb page, please dont anticipate, even in the 50-70kbs world that Sprint suggests will be typical, it will still take you 30 to 50 seconds to load that page. That is not slow, that IS the speed a 56k modem achieves.
    Originally posted by paz5559

So if you are loading a 200 kb page, please dont anticipate, even in the 50-70kbs world that Sprint suggests will be typical, it will still take you 30 to 50 seconds to load that page. That is not slow, that IS the speed a 56k modem achieves.
    I have to agree. In my world of cable modems at home and high speed access at work, 50-70kbs is slow and I have to remind myself not to compare the two.

In addition (this has been mentioned in other posts) the hardware makes a big difference. A Pentium 4 with decent memory and video can slap the data on the screen a lot faster than a Treo.

Having used a PocketPC with a 2G phone I can tell you that the current 3G speeds are significantly faster.
    Originally posted by paz5559

Please do not take this as a sign of disrespect, but you all do realize there is a difference (ie a factor of 8) between kilobits per second and kiloBYTES per second, right? A dial-up 56K modem can achieve speeds no greater than 6-7 kbs, and typically no more than 3-5 -- when you watch the numbers roll by (I have had blaer and a dial-up connection for about 2 years now, and let me tell you, this is not as fast as you might think)

Thanks Paz, no insult taken. Yes, I am aware of the difference between 50 to 70 kbps and kiloBYTES per second. What I have been reporting is that I get around to 10kbps, or about 1 kiloBYTE per second on average.

Loading a ~ 200 kb web page takes me on average 2+ minutes.
    Originally posted by intractv

I have to agree. In my world of cable modems at home and high speed access at work, 50-70kbs is slow and I have to remind myself not to compare the two.

In addition (this has been mentioned in other posts) the hardware makes a big difference. A Pentium 4 with decent memory and video can slap the data on the screen a lot faster than a Treo.

Having used a PocketPC with a 2G phone I can tell you that the current 3G speeds are significantly faster.
    I just gave up my SPH i300 2g pocket phone / with 2g full web capable browser. From my experience 3g is only slightly faster, if at all.

I realize that a 33mhz Palm processor is going to show lower performance. Perhaps this is most of the issue -- maybe data throughput is actually on par with what sprint suggest, but the Palm OS / Blazer just can't deal with data coming in that "fast"

I still maintain, that I am only getting around 1 kiloBYTE per second, which is about 10 kbps -- an average of 5 to 7 times slower than what Sprint claims.

I've had 56k dialup for years before switching to cable modem, and still use it when I travel. This is nowhere near the speed of 56k dialup. Subjectively, I'd say its about 4x slower.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12