Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got a Treo 300 from CompUSA today. To begin my experience, I was confronted with where to buy the Treo and get the most for my money. Handspring.com offers free shipping and free vehicle power adapter. Sprint offers 6000 N&W minutes over 6 months and free shipping (I think). CompUSA was local therefore free shipping, and included the vehicle power adapter.

For the next phase of my experience I'll discuss activation of plan. Called Sprint at 6:30pm and off by 7:10. Phone activated. Ten minutes later I was signed onto AIM on my treo at very snappy speed and IM'ing my friends. Useful, fast, lovely.

Finally, I looked over at my TiBook running Mac OS 10.2 (oops, did I say that?) and shuddered with fear. I decided to forego Handspring's suggestions as they would have told me to f**k off being a Mac OS X user trying to buy a Treo 300, and download my Palm Desktop software 4.0 from Palm. With the exception of a problem where the Palm Desktop software tried to install PalmOS 3.5.3, which was readily corrected by deleting the update from my TiBook's hard disk, thereby keeping PalmDesktop from pushing it to the Treo, it worked instantly and painlessly by infared. I went straight to infared and haven't tried USB, I will do that in a bit. Frankly, even if IR is slower, it worked no cables no muss no fuss, and I'm satisfied. Mac OS X and Treo work great together, it's made my little Digital Lifestyle complete.
    That works if you don't have a newer PB. Hopefully the next gen Treo's will have BT built in.
    Originally posted by ijablokov:
    That works if you don't have a newer PB.
    Why doesn't it work with newer PBs? Did Apple remove the IR port or something?
  4.    #4  
    Yeah I had a newer TiBook (550) and it didn't have IR. I went out and bought the USB-Serial and Handspring Serial HotSync cable, per the suggestion on these boards, and $50 later thought "why did I go to all this trouble???" There are IR to USB solutions I believe, especially considering that the USB-Serial solution totally failed for me, inexplicably.
    Sent to Mark/Space re Missing Synch for the 300:

>Help!
    >
    >There are many of us with Treo 300s (Sprint PCS phone/PDA from Handspring)
    >but cannot USB Synch to the Mac OS X (or 9 for that matter). One guy can
    >synch to OS X but is using the optional serial cable for the 300 and a
    >keyspan serial to USB adapter.
    >
    >Can you guys figure out what is needed to USB synch for OS X? There are a
    >lot of us out there willing to pay for a solution!

Answer:
    We're looking into it, we just got a 300 today...they werent easy to find!

Watch the site for details.
    hum I have a 550 Tipowerbook and I think it has infra red, I'm gonna check that out right now......
    My G4 Titanium Powerbook, purchased Dec 01 (eight months ago) does have IR.

I am going to try and download Palm OS 4.0 and see what happens.
    Ok

Which version of Palm OS software, from what site....and did you load directly into OSX, or OS 9.2 first.....

how did you load up the Palm software exactly?
    Unless Apple has hidden the port in classic Apple style, I don't have IR on my 800.
    In the 800 they removed it... See:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

No more IR port.
    Last edited by ijablokov; 08/15/2002 at 09:14 AM.
    I can't find an IR port anywhere on this thing. If you know something I don't I'd love to sync my 300. I'm not really wanting to shell out the extra cash for cables that seem pretty redundant.
    I downloaded Palm Desktop software from Palm.com

It removed older version of Palm OS in my Apple Powerbook OS 9.2.

Then installed in OS X

I changed all hotsync prefs to "handheld" overwrites Macinstosh to be safe....

only gitch is when hotsync did the "install" part of sync'ing (this is where you can install third party apps I assume.....) it said something about installing "3.5.3" and I "cancelled" it. Changed "install" preferences to "do nothing...."

Treo seems to be fine so far, but can someone tell me what I just did?
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by dmw819
    I downloaded Palm Desktop software from Palm.com

It removed older version of Palm OS in my Apple Powerbook OS 9.2.

Then installed in OS X

I changed all hotsync prefs to "handheld" overwrites Macinstosh to be safe....

only gitch is when hotsync did the "install" part of sync'ing (this is where you can install third party apps I assume.....) it said something about installing "3.5.3" and I "cancelled" it. Changed "install" preferences to "do nothing...."

Treo seems to be fine so far, but can someone tell me what I just did?
    This is what I mentioned in my original post. PalmDesktop tries to puch the newest PalmOS onto the Treo (3.5.3) and you can't let it do that so you have to remove the installer (in the Palm folder in Applications) and you can turn install back on the in conduit but when you go up to the menu "HotSync" when in the Hotsync Manager and select "Install Handheld Files..." make sure Installer 3.5.3 isn't listed.
    Ok well

I think I stopped it from installing the 3.5.3 I hit "cancel" and it stopped, and said it would take about two minutes....it cancelled and doesn't appear to have altered anything.

When I open the Treo and check the pref's it says my version of Palm OS, is PalmOSv.3.5.2H6.0 I don't think it "pushed" 3.5.3 to the Treo....

So to be clear, one needs to go to the Palm Apps folder on your Mac, and DELETE the upgrades which start with 1.x all the way up to 3.x.x BEFORE you hotsync for the first time, or you could risk pushing the WRONG Palm OS to the Treo.
    I downloaded the Palm desktop and installed on my G4 TiBook w/IR port and OS X. Modified the sync to do no install before, then sync'd....looks good! The IR port sync works well in OS X.
    Where is the IR port on the Titanium PB 800? I can't find it.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    The latest revison of the PB (667 and 800) released earlier this year (the ones with the DVI port instead of VGA) DO NOT have an IR port. Apple never really explained why, but my guess is that they figured IR was on its way out, now that Bluetooth is on its way in. Remember, Apple has a tendency to be the first company in the industry to drop aging technology (even before it's completely outlived its usefulness).

My guess is that iSync, due out next month sometime, is going to solve most of these USB driver problems once and for all. Even if the Treo 300 isn't supported with the first release, it will be soon after. Look at how many digital cameras are now completely compatible with iPhoto, compared to the shorter list just last January. The same goes with CD-RW drives in iTunes. And you almost can't find a digital camcorder that isn't Mac compatible.

Believe me, Apple knows that Handspring has a very large Mac-user following. They won't ignore the Treos and Visors.

I suspect, by the way, that this is why Handspring seems to be doing nothing in house about the lack of Mac support in their most recent products, and why they haven't stepped in to officially endorse Palm Desktop 4.0 for OSX. They figure, why bother? Apple will come in and write everything for them soon enough. Save the R&D costs for something else.

The upside of this is that soon, no Mac user will have to worry about the install CDs on any PDAs they buy. Just plug and play, and you'll be synced up with iCal, Mail, and Address Book.

The downside is that iSync will require Jaguar. So get ready to pony up the dough for the upgrade. Not that it's not worth the $129, considering all the other new features.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Originally posted by mrjoec

My guess is that iSync, due out next month sometime, is going to solve most of these USB driver problems once and for all. Even if the Treo 300 isn't supported with the first release, it will be soon after.
    Nope. iSync is still going to require Palm Desktop (at least the HotSync stuff). You'll still need the driver in Palm Desktop for whatever device you want to sync.
    "My guess is that iSync, due out next month sometime, is going to solve most of these USB driver problems once and for all."

Well . . .

This is what Mark/Space told me about that:

iSync will not change the functionality of Palm Desktop where Clies are concerned, this shouldnt be any different where Treos are concerned.

--
    Best regards,

Mark/Space Sales

If I am interpreting them correctly, I think it means that iSync will not synch with Palm Desktop,
    and so they think their upcoming Treo Missing Synch will be needed.

NateS
  20.    #20  
    Well not to be a naysayer, but I think this is all Sprint's fault. When you visit hangdspring.com they say all the support for the treo 300 is being done by Sprint, and something tells me it was Sprint's call to keep the Mac OS out of the loop.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast