Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Sprint store I went to today was friendly enough to explain the "free 3 months" to me. They told me to sign up for 20mb just in case. I was able to get 3 months free data up to my paid limit. After 20 I pay, I just hope I don't get there. The store clerk thought I was an ***** when I suggested anything less than 20mb. He told me to simply lower to plan if I don't use it all. No cost. What are you all seeing?

Brother Nick
    I did the same. I was going to go with 8 MB plan and decided on the 20 for that reason. In fact there is nothing to stop you from signing up for the 120 MB plan....
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    i called customer svc for a third time, and again verified that I have unlimited data access for the first three months. I have the 2 megabyte plan for 89.99. I plan on switching to a higher mb plan when my free period is over.

I guess I'll never know until the bill shows up.
    According to their web site that isn't the case... You get unlimited data for 3 months...
    According to Josh (Sprint Customer Service), all the data is free for 3 months but for some reason he warned not to choose 2 megs and then increase to 20. He said go with 20 and their will be a refund for the charge for 20, but no actual billable charge for the data. I confirmed that while he was recording my acceptance of the plan on the phone.

I think it's free because we don't get a whole lot of it. You get what you pay for ?
  6.    #6  
    I found the smartest bunch of Sprint folks at a PCS store here in Dallas. The manager told me that the free data is going to be a problem for some people. He further explained you only get free data on the amount you have agreed to pay for. This is why he told me to go 20 then back down if I don't use it all. YOU STILL GET CHARGED FOR EXTRA DATA.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I also have been told there is a service credit for the difference between a voice only plan and the data plan you chose. If someone as seen the unlimited offer IN WRITTING please either link us to the website where you saw it, or scan te cocument for all to see. Do date, I remain convinced that the unlimited data spoken of on this board is an unsubstantiated rumor.
    BrotherNick - Everyone is told a different story. No way to know which rep REALLY knows the truth unless they wrote the billing program. Everyone will know the truth when the bill comes .

Personally I'm going with a 20MB plan.

But here is a blurb from http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp It leads me to beleive you only get what you have in your plan for free:
    As a special introductory offer, you can enjoy PCS Vision FREE for the first three months of service. To take advantage of this special offer, simply sign up on any PCS Free & Clear Plan with Vision and a one-year PCS Advantage Agreement. You will receive a minimum 2MB (megabytes) of monthly data transfer for use with any PCS Vision service.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cfsully
    the 120 MB plan....
    Sully, what 120 MB plan do they have that includes voice and data? or are you refering to a data only plan?
    Originally posted by paz5559
    I also have been told there is a service credit for the difference between a voice only plan and the data plan ypou chose. If someone as seen the unlimited offer IN WRITTING please either link us to the website where you saw it, or scan te cocument for all to see. Do date, I remain convinced that the unlimited data spoken of on this board is an unsubstantiated rumor.
    I have to agree with Paz on this point. I have not seen anything in writing or on an official SPCS web site to date to indicate that the first three months is unlimited data use.
    Basically all of the plans that are presented can have any amount of data. Sprint has provided some "typical" offerings. If you take the data off, you have a base cost.

For example, I got 2000 anytime minutes for a base rate of $79.99. I can then add data based on need. For 2/8/20 MB it is $10/20/40. But since the first three months are free, you could go for the 120 MB offering.

Ask a CSR about it.

Originally posted by paz5559

Sully, what 120 MB plan do they have that includes voice and data? or are you refering to a data only plan?
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with CSR ... according to them, them, the maximum data that can be added to the 2000 anytime minute plan we are discussing is 40MB, and that increases the monthly cost to $139 (ie. an increase of $60 from the voice only plan)
  13.    #13  
    darnell, I agree with you 100%. I haven't yet heard anything else from Sprint employees. If you go over your plan's data rate, I'm afraid you'll be paying for it.
    On the Sprint website, and if you hit *4 on your phone, at this time anyway, you find that they appear not to be tracking data usage--or at least not reporting it. Maybe they will be phasing that in.
    Kami
    Let me be frank in saying that if they were offering free unlimited service for 3 months I AM SURE they would be using the words FREE UNLIMITED USAGE FOR 3 MONTHS everywhere. But they are not using those words anywhere in writting. It's just coming out of the mouths of those suspect SPCS reps.

If we get free unlimited usage it will only be because they felt bad that the network runs so slow. I'm sure it is not part of the original plan though.
    I'm not claiming that I have three months of free unlimited service. I am stating as a fact that two Customer Service reps, as well as tech support, confirmed to me that I have three months of unlimited data access. I have to say it is pretty frustrating, because deep down inside I really don't know if I have it. At this point, the only thing I can do is wait for my bill, and complain loudly if I've been billed for my usage.

One ray of hope: ALL the 2000 vision plans are costing the same for the first three months. The 2MB, 8MB, 20MB and 40MB plans are all $89.99 for the first three months. Perhaps they're just not billing data for the first three months.
  17.    #17  
    work_permit, I think you said it with your last statement. We can all get as much data as our own plan allows for free - regardless - for the first three months. I personally think unless Sprint changes its mind we will still be paying for use over our "paid" amount.

BrotherNick
    I have no question about what I was told because I wrote it down and recorded it during my recorded acceptance of the plan. I was told that I would get "credited" for the 20 megs but not actually pay for the data usage, and since with the plan being 79 dollars/mo with a 40 dollar credit, it works out to 39 dollars/mo for 3 months, I got him to agree on the phone during my acceptance that I would not have to pay any more than 39 dollars in service related fees as long as my voice usage is within the plan no matter how much data I use.

I do believe after listening and observing that the do intend to charge for that increment over 20 megs which makes a usage counter a very valuable entity. I do have screen shots of the original offer that I'll get tonight if I have time since I wanted to see it in writing also.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    No, actually, you are still mistaken

they will charge you $119, and then credit your account $40, so your net amount for the first three months will be the $79.99

Given that you misunderstood this aspect of the billing, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume you might have also misunderstood the "free" vs "unlimited" data
    Last edited by paz5559; 08/15/2002 at 05:13 PM.
  20.    #20  
    paz, your comments went right over my head. Could you elaborate?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast