1.    #1  
    I have been using multimail for a very long time due to the fact I can read and send many different type of attachments. When Yahoo upgraded their email settings I couldn't send email attachments or send mail with Multimail because it doesn't allow for authentication. So here's my question:

Is there a program out there that will allow me to send and read email and is authenticated? I know Eudora allows for authentication, but there is no support for attachments

(What I found out about authentication, is since we are using Sprints IP address, in order to use someone's outgoing server, there needs to be authentication.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the help!!
    Check out Iambic Mail at www.iambic.com. It may do what you want.
    Originally posted by audi:
    (What I found out about authentication, is since we are using Sprints IP address, in order to use someone's outgoing server, there needs to be authentication.) Please correct me if I am wrong.
    There are two types of authentication used when sending mail, SMTP AUTH and POP-before-SMTP. POP-before-SMTP is just that -- if you POP your mail, the server will remember your IP address and allow you send email from it for the next few minutes. Therefore, any POP/SMTP mail client can handle this type of authentication.

SMTP AUTH is more complex, using encryption. Most (but not all) desktop mail clients support this nowadays (to varying degrees -- there are several different types of encryption that can be used, and not every client-server pair will have at least one encryption method in common), but presumably many handheld email clients do not have it.

Which authentication your mail server uses (if any!) depends on how your ISP set it up. POP-before-SMTP is relatively easy to set up, but is considered a hack and isn't officially supported by common SMTP and POP3 servers. SMTP AUTH is harder to set up, but does have built-in support in sendmail (and presumably other SMTP servers like qmail).