1.    #1  
    I just posted this to another thread as well, but wanted to start a new one on the topic. Have other folks had success dialing up to external ISPs with their Treos as well? If so, do you see those calls on the web as minutes and/or data?

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by broom
    One thing I have discovered is that the Treo300 can be used for data using either the Sprint-user01 connection OR a normal dial-up connection. If you create a new network connection ("Service") under Prefs->Network, configure it as a Wireless Modem connection dialing up to a conventional dial-up ISP, you can still connect, email, Blaze, etc. I believe it gets billed as normal minutes, rather than data, but I need to check my data usage online to really verify that (Sprint's web page for some users still thinks they're 2G, like me, so I can't view data usage yet. Weird since I was never 2G, this is a new account). Obviously it will be generally slower than 3G, but would be really nice if it's getting toward the end of the month and you're out of MB but have minutes left. Also, depending on the speed of this 3G network turns out to be 3 months from now, I'm considering getting rid of 3G entirely and just using the normal minutes instead of paying $20-$50/month for only slightly faster data.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This would be particulary useful if you can use night and weekend minutes for dialup.

In my case, I'd use the 2Mb data for business emails during the day, and the essentially unlimited night and weekend minutes to play with.

Thanks for some good thinking, Broom!

Kami
    I can confirm that this works with MSN dialup...

for user name, type MSN/username (where username is yours) then type the regular password and put whatever dialup you can find... I found one near my house, although it doesnt really matter since ld is free

Good job for finding this useful workaround... now I hope it counts as N&W minutes, so I'll wait to see what happens...
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    We can check this by doing the dial up during night/weekend, then dialing *4 (I believe) to see if night/weekend minutes are decremented. Anyone care to try it out?

Also can check the Sprint website to see what minutes are being used.
    Kami
    what speed do you connect - if you connect at 14.4 the possibibility of using minutes is there (doubt it tho), if you connect at 3g speeds - forget about it.

My understanding is that the 300 will only do 3g data, if thats the case - remember to count up those KB's
    If you are making a phone call, you are on minutes. The network does not care who you call. The system would only track minutes. The only question would be how much throughput do the allocate for voice calls???

I would ideally lke to use my laptop with the USB synch cable of the Treo, and the Treo itself to dial into AOL as an ISP. As good as the Treo/Blazer are for internet, they do not support javascript which is what I need for many of the sites I visit.

Let me know if anyone is successful.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Originally posted by cfsully
    If you are making a phone call, you are on minutes. The network does not care who you call. The system would only track minutes. The only question would be how much throughput do the allocate for voice calls???

:

Thats just it - the netword DOES care, and can differentiate. They did it with 2g and I'm sure that they have done it on the new system. Do you think that they have left such a gaping hole for realitively free data access. TRUST ME, I would love to even get 2g speeds with the treo and be charged as minutes - but its not gonna happen.