Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying from the Sprint website vs the Handspring website?

I emailed Sprint and asked them if I could switch my present Sprint phone number and plan over to a Treo 300 and they replied and said fine no problem and gave me a website and instructions as to how to do the whole thing.

But when I emailed them back and asked if this was still true if I bought the Treo from Handspring, they emailed back and said no it has to be bought from Sprint's website or their store if I am switching over from my old Sprint phone.

Can this be true? And if I do this and buy the Treo 300 from Sprint, am I missing out on a longer return privilege or better repair/replacement guarantee offered by Handspring?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NateS
    I was a previous customer of Sprint. I bought my phone from CompUSA. I got to keep my phone number and transfer service with no problems.
    They're pulling your chain. You can buy my Handspring Treo 300 and activate it via Sprint. Just another example of Sprint's not-so-knowledgeable customer service reps.

Not sure of the advantages/disadvantages. I bought from Handspring as I had free shipping, no tax (NC), and included a car charger at no extra charge (woopee). $499. Ordered on 8/12, arriving (hopefully) tomorrow (2-business day shipping - for free no less)

nobull
  4.    #4  
    Based on the replies so far to my post (thank you!), I have sent the following email to HANDSPRING and I will post their response here when rec'd.

Regards!

NateS
  5.    #5  
    I forgot to paste in my email to Handspring. Here it is:

(To Handspring Sales

"I emailed Sprint to ask if I could switch my existing Sprint PCS service and phone number over to a Treo 300 and they said yes not a problem and gave me instructions to buy the Treo 300 from their website. I emailed them back and said I wanted to buy the Treo from Handspring and got a reply that I had to buy the Treo from them if I wanted to save my current phone number etc. How can this be true? Is the representative from Sprint misinformed? I would just feel more comfortable buying from you in case of repair or replacement problems etc. Please advise ASAP. Thanks!"

NateS
    FYI....I purchased my Treo 300 through Handspring on Monday and it arrived today. I then called Sprint and had them activate the Treo phone with my old number....no problem. Important note -- do not do the Web Services Upgrade to your Sprint account when you purchase the Treo from Handspring. Wait to upgrade your service until you activate your phone.
    I purchased from Sprint online on Sunday, it arrived on Tuesday and included the free car charger. A sprint PCS representative activated by phone in 10 minutes and it has been working fine since then.
    Paul
    Originally posted by NateS:
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying from the Sprint website vs the Handspring website?
    One guy's findings on that appear in the Works with Mac OS X, IMHO thread.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 08/15/2002 at 09:34 PM.
    Originally posted by nobull
    They're pulling your chain. You can buy my Handspring Treo 300 and activate it via Sprint. Just another example of Sprint's not-so-knowledgeable customer service reps.

Not sure of the advantages/disadvantages. I bought from Handspring as I had free shipping, no tax (NC), and included a car charger at no extra charge (woopee). $499. Ordered on 8/12, arriving (hopefully) tomorrow (2-business day shipping - for free no less)

nobull
    I ordered from Handspring on 8/12 with 2 day shipping. The prder never got past "credit card approved" so I went to compusa and got one and cancelled the online order.

You can buy a sprint phone from anywhere and sprint will activate it. The only issue you MAY run into is if the retailer will NOT sell you the phone because you already have service and the realier cannot get the credit for activating it.

So buy your phone from whereever you you feel comfortable with and dont worry about transfering the number to it.
  10.    #10  
    Reply just rec'd from Handspring:

Thank you for contacting Handspring.

You can purchase the Treo 300 from our website and simply select that you currently have a Sprint PCS plan. When you receive your Treo 300 call
    Sprint to switch to the Treo 300 on your plan. If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Care team at 1-888-565-9393.

Response I just sent to Sprint:

Pankaj,

Are you sure about this statement that I have to buy my Treo 300 only from Sprint if I want to switch over my existing Sprint PCS phone number and service plan?

Handspring tells me I can buy it from them and Sprint will still allow me to keep my existing Sprint phone number and plan if I desire, and I have also
    spoken to five people who did not purchase their Treos from Sprint and Sprint still allowed them to keep their existing phone number and plan.

Please reply. Thank you.

> From: "Pankaj S." <ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com>

>
    > This is in response to your inquiry regarding Treo.
    >
    > You need to buy the handset from a Sprint PCS store or web site.
    > Please double-click on the link below. It will help you find the
    > nearest Sprint PCS store to you.
    >
    > http://www.sprintpcs.com/learn/findstore.asp
    >
    > Thank you for contacting Sprint PCS.
    >
    > Pankaj S.
    > eCare

Handspring doesn't charge sales tax

thats around $100 savings right there!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Handspring does charge sales tax in certain states. Even with this fact in mind, I still would rather buy from Handspring directly. The customer service supplied by Handspring is superb in my book. Plus, they seem to be more in-the-know, that is, compared to the agents at Sprint.
  13.    #13  
    Handspring does charge sales tax in certain states. Even with this fact in mind, I still would rather buy from Handspring directly. The customer service supplied by Handspring is superb in my book. Plus, they seem to be more in-the-know, that is, compared to the agents at Sprint.

That's my thinking, and my motivation too.

When Sprint PCS first came to my area, the local store people and those online seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. As time went on, and the store began to fill up with no-credit customers coming in with cash in hand to make their latest "pre-pay" payment, the service deteriated. They treat these folks, and everyone else as well, like cattle - and behave uncaring, disrespectful and no longer well-informed. Or so it seems.

NateS
    1) Sprint gives 6000 extra minutes but no travel charger
    2)The plans seem different- a little different under both
    3)Can one swap plans after the first three months of free time?
    Handspring doesn't charge sales tax
    thats around $100 savings right there!
    $100? What state charges 20%?
    and sprint seem sto give free voice command but not handspring..and where does one get 100$ on sales tax?
    Also someone posted earlier that Sprint doesn't offer a free car charger with the purchase. Just FYI, they DO offer the free car carger. I got one when I purhcased mine at a Sprint store.

Tip about Sprint stores: go early in the day, as close to when they open as possible. The reps are more civil then, as they haven't yet been bombarded by bad-credit people who are irate and demanding to know why their service was cut off when they're only 6 months past due on their account. It looks like for a while Sprint heavily targeted the *really* bad credit, chronic late-paying market and it's coming back to bite them in the behind.
  18.    #18  
    Believe it or not, here's the second Sprint PCS representative telling me I MUST buy my Treo 300 from Sprint and not Handspring if I want to keep my existing Sprint phone number! (Contrary to what Handspring and several writers here on line have told me.)

From: "Runa M." <ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 02 13:40:23
    Hello Nate,

This is in response to your inquiry regarding your handset.
    Yes, you need to buy the handset from a Sprint PCS store or web site.
    You can search for a nearby store by clicking on the following link:
    http://www.sprintpcs.com/learn/findstore.asp
    Thank you for contacting Sprint PCS.

Runa M. eCare
    >
    > On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:23:13 +0000 you wrote:
    >
    >> Pankaj,
    >>
    >> Are you sure about this statement that I have to buy my Treo 300 only from
    >> Sprint if I want to switch over my existing Sprint PCS phone number and
    >> service plan?
    >>
    >> Handspring tells me I can buy it from them and Sprint will still allow me to
    >> keep my existing Sprint phone number and plan if I desire, and I have also
    >> spoken to five people who did not purchase their Treos from Sprint and Sprint
    >> still allowed them to keep their existing phone number and plan.
    >>
    >> Please reply. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Nate

What do you do with these people? I want to buy from Handspring but I want to keep my phone number!

NateS
    just curious..buying from handpsring doesnt give free voice command (?), nor 6000 free minutes...yet you want to buy from them and not sprint..why?
    I bought my phone from Handspring, called Sprint, and had my old number switched over in about 5 minutes. Whomever sent you that email is an *****.

Sprint has no idea where you got the phone you're activating.

You should buy the phone from Handspring just to deny Sprint their profit for giving you 100% wrong information.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast