Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I bought my Treo from Handspring. When I called Sprint to activate I was never asked where I got the phone from, only the ESN number. I've had Sprint for 3 years and I've had the same phone number through 4 phones no matter where I bought them.
    Originally posted by drsmitty
    I bought my Treo from Handspring. When I called Sprint to activate I was never asked where I got the phone from, only the ESN number. I've had Sprint for 3 years and I've had the same phone number through 4 phones no matter where I bought them.
    since u have had them for long..hows their customer service? why did u decide to buy from handspring not sprint?
    Customer service has always been terrible through Sprint, but I like the phone service they provide. I like to buy from Handspring because they get a bigger profit. I believe Handspring is a good company, and I want to see them prosper. The better Handspring is doing the more cool toys they can produce
  4.    #24  
    just curious..buying from handpsring doesnt give free voice command (?), nor 6000 free minutes...yet you want to buy from them and not sprint..why?

Voice command is free for only 3 months and my understanding is that anyone can buy it for $5 a month. A $15 premium does not offset a 6% sales tax on $500, nor does it compensate for the greater level of comfort I would have dealing with Handspring in the event of a hardware problem which required repair or replacement of the Treo, particularly if Sprint insisted on sending me to a local Sprint store to present the unit for inspection when they don't seem to have the knowledge. In addition, Sprint sells many brands of phones and manufactures none. Handspring has a reputation for pride of manufacture and standing behind their products and acknowledging and making good on defects. I don't mean to disparage Sprint - I think they are doing the best job they can to introduce and support their new phone service, and I expect them to come out looking good on what they do best, but they can't possibly duplicate Handspring's knowledge of and pride in the Treo line. As for free minutes, it just not a big deal for me since most of my usage is during business hours and I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that most of the free minutes are for offtime usage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
    NateS
    Originally posted by NateS
    just curious..buying from handpsring doesnt give free voice command (?), nor 6000 free minutes...yet you want to buy from them and not sprint..why?

Voice command is free for only 3 months and my understanding is that anyone can buy it for $5 a month. A $15 premium does not offset a 6% sales tax on $500, nor does it compensate for the greater level of comfort I would have dealing with Handspring in the event of a hardware problem which required repair or replacement of the Treo, particularly if Sprint insisted on sending me to a local Sprint store to present the unit for inspection when they don't seem to have the knowledge. In addition, Sprint sells many brands of phones and manufactures none. Handspring has a reputation for pride of manufacture and standing behind their products and acknowledging and making good on defects. I don't mean to disparage Sprint - I think they are doing the best job they can to introduce and support their new phone service, and I expect them to come out looking good on what they do best, but they can't possibly duplicate Handspring's knowledge of and pride in the Treo line. As for free minutes, it just not a big deal for me since most of my usage is during business hours and I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that most of the free minutes are for offtime usage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
    NateS
    couldnt agree more- i am buying from them too!it is offpeak minutes
  6.    #26  
    Believe it or not, here's the second Sprint PCS representative telling me I MUST buy my Treo 300 from Sprint and not Handspring if I want to keep my existing Sprint phone number! (Contrary to what Handspring and several writers here on line have told me.)

From: "Runa M." <ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 02 13:40:23
    Hello Nate,

This is in response to your inquiry regarding your handset.
    Yes, you need to buy the handset from a Sprint PCS store or web site.
    You can search for a nearby store by clicking on the following link:
    http://www.sprintpcs.com/learn/findstore.asp
    Thank you for contacting Sprint PCS.

Runa M. eCare
    >
    > On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:23:13 +0000 you wrote:
    >
    >> Pankaj,
    >>
    >> Are you sure about this statement that I have to buy my Treo 300 only from
    >> Sprint if I want to switch over my existing Sprint PCS phone number and
    >> service plan?
    >>
    >> Handspring tells me I can buy it from them and Sprint will still allow me to
    >> keep my existing Sprint phone number and plan if I desire, and I have also
    >> spoken to five people who did not purchase their Treos from Sprint and Sprint
    >> still allowed them to keep their existing phone number and plan.
    >>
    >> Please reply. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Nate

What do you do with these people? I want to buy from Handspring but I want to keep my phone number!

NateS
  7. AJM
    I bought the Treo 300 at a Sprint Store because I wanted it now. The Sprint version also includes a power cord for the cord so it looks like the difference is the cost (tax verses shipping). Is there any difference it case colors and what logo is on the case? The Sprint Treo 300 is more gray than silver and the finish looks sensitive to scratches. I would have preferred a color less prone to show wear. Is the Handspring the same color and does it have a Sprint logo on it?
    Originally posted by AJM
    I bought the Treo 300 at a Sprint Store because I wanted it now. The Sprint version also includes a power cord for the cord so it looks like the difference is the cost (tax verses shipping). Is there any difference it case colors and what logo is on the case? The Sprint Treo 300 is more gray than silver and the finish looks sensitive to scratches. I would have preferred a color less prone to show wear. Is the Handspring the same color and does it have a Sprint logo on it?
    "what does power cord for the cord mean"? also i thought both came with no sales tax and free shipping
  9.    #29  
    i thought both came with no sales tax

If Sprint does business in your state, which they would be doing if they are providing you with phone service, then I believe they have to collect your state's sales tax.

NateS
    Sales tax is around 18% in many states
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    It's the exact same phone, same accessories, etc. Tax is only applicable in the states listed on the Handspring site (not too many) Where Sprint does business has nothing to do with it.
    Originally posted by HasanDaddy
    And what states would those be? I've seen sales tax tables before and have never seen anything that high.

In fact, here are a couple of tables, from wyotax.org (state rates only) and SalesTaxInstitute.com (state rates plus range of additional local rates), and they contradict your claim.
    Originally posted by HasanDaddy
    %18!?!?! Do you mean that at %7.75 in Riverside county California, I'm paying less sales tax than "many states"?

Gary
  14.    #34  
    "It's the exact same phone, same accessories, etc. Tax is only applicable in the states listed on the Handspring site (not too many) Where Sprint does business has nothing to do with it."

I believe whoever posted the above must have misunderstood my earlier post. If you buy from Sprint, where Sprint does business has everything to do with it - they must collect the local sales tax. If you buy from Handspring, then of course where Sprint does business has nothing to do with it - that was my point.

NateS
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Perhaps you are outside of the US, but in this country, 8.5% (on Long Island) is the highest sales tax in the nation.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12