Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Originally posted by doctorc

Hahaha, Ok to add even more to the confusion, check out what I just did.

Called *2 again. After talking to a SPCS rep who put me on hold for about 40 minutes to figure out what the pricing plans are, he came back with this info.

My current plan: 4000 N&W / 500 anytime / 2 megs
    $44.99 / month
    minutes shared
    nationwide long distance (not regional plan)
    2 megs

*THIS* plan WILL be charged $20 for the add a phone.
    (3rd SPCS rep who told me this, so now I'm 3 votes for Will charge $20 for add a phone and 2 votes for won't charge add a phone).

Then the SPCS rep put me on hold again, and said he might be able to find me a 'better deal'

After about 20 min he came back and said that this Plan:

$59.99
    4000 N&W / 500 anytime / 2 megs
    minutes shared
    nationwide long distance (not regional plan)
    8 megs

Does *NOT* charge the extra $20 for add a phone.

Thus, even though this is $15 more than the 44.99 per month it actually ends up being $5 cheaper because of no add a phone charge, and I also get more megs on top of that (not that I can use them all as 3g is so slowwwwww).

So, I'm not sure yet if this deal is for real or not, but in keeping with my "lets switch SPCS plans at least 3 times per day" theme, I figured what the heck and took it.

I specifically asked him 4 times, "ARE YOU SURE that there is NO CHARGE FOR ADD A PHONE" and he assured me yes all 4 times.

Thus, it appears, that for SOME plans, there is no charge for add a phone, but for others there is. So be aware of that and try to get the most straight answer you can when buying a plan. I'm going to cross post this to a couple of other threads so that others are aware of this.
    Holy cow, as a correction to this post, anothe 10 minutes on hold and the SPCS rep comes back to me and gives me the following info. He assures me this info is true and correct. Here is the "true" information according to SPCS Rep one Million that I have spoken to:

SPCS does *NOT* charge an add a phone fee for the FIRST phone that you add to your account -- AS LONG as you have MEGABYTES on your plan (any amount of megabytes).

They *DO* charge for the addition of any other phones beyond the first add a phone.

Now, the catch is, (and this is where many of you may get caught so I'd call back SPCS to be sure) that in order for you to NOT get charged for the first addd a phone, SPCS reps need to set it up a "special way" so that you are not billed for the add a phone on your first add a phone.

I had my account originally set up this way, but then an uninformed SPCS rep (oxymoron?) "un-setup" the account and put it back to the "old way" where you DO get charged a $20 add a phone fee.

I suspect that many SPCS reps are accidentally setting up add-a-phones in an incorrect way. Basically the "new" add a phone setup requires SPCS reps to set up the add-a-phone as if it were also a "primary" phone so that you don't get billed the add a phone fee for it. Most SPCS reps are probably setting up your add a phone as a 'secondary' phone so you will be billed the extra $20 for it.

Take home message: NO CHARGE for add a phone (up to 1 additional phone) as long as you have PCS Vision with Data.

BUT -- you need to absolutely be sure that the SPCS rep you are speaking with sets up your second add a phone in the correct way so that you are not charged for it. Many (including the guy I just spoke to) were not / are not aware of this and are probably setting up your second phones the wrong way.

I urge you to call back to double check that you are set up correctly, and to "share the knowledge" with your SPCS rep, so to speak.
    doctorc,

did you get the rep's name and extension? this will be so useful to the rest of us when we call up...

everyone, in the future, if you do call SPCS support and get someone who seems to know what in the hell they're talking about, get their name and extension...PLEASE!

thx,
    nobull
    One add'l comment/question, in your original post, you had 400NW, 500AT, 2 MB but then below it says 8 Megs...typo?

Thx,
    nobull
    This may be a dumb rookie question, but when you talk about adding a phone to the plan to share minutes...do you mean add a phone that shares the same number or add a phone that has its own number?

I just (5 min ago) activated my Treo 300 and got the 44.99 plan that you have talked about. I had a SPCS phone and plan before, but just kept the same number and got a new vision plan.

Just wondering what adding a phone and sharing meant.

Thanks
    Add a phone is a phone with it's own number, but it shares the minutes in the plan. Usually, it's a $15-$20 extra charge on top of the plan.

So, if you purchased another phone, and added it to the $44.99 it MAY (see all kinds of other posts) increase your cost to $64.99...

Good luck,
    nobull
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by nobull
    doctorc,

did you get the rep's name and extension? this will be so useful to the rest of us when we call up...

everyone, in the future, if you do call SPCS support and get someone who seems to know what in the hell they're talking about, get their name and extension...PLEASE!

thx,
    nobull
    I am sorry, I did not get it What I would suggest that as time goes by, and more SPCS reps know what they are doing, that people will be able to call and switch their plans...
  7.    #7  
    One add'l comment/question, in your original post, you had 400NW, 500AT, 2 MB but then below it says 8 Megs...typo?

Thx,
    nobull
    Sorry, my post was a bit incoherent as I was at work, in a hurry.

my current plan is:

My Plan Summary:

PCS FREE & CLEAR WITH VISION
    $44.99 PCS FREE & CLEAR WITH VISION
    MINUTES ARE SHARED ON THIS PLAN
    ALL MINUTES INCLUDE LONG DISTANCE
    500 ANYTIME MINUTES
    4000 NIGHT AND WEEKEND MINUTES
    NIGHTS: M-TH 9PM-7AM WKND: F 9PM-M 7AM
    2 MB OF PCS VISION
    2 MB = 2084 KB
    DATA IS NOT SHARED
    CALLER ID, CALL WAITING
    THREE-WAY CALLING
    VOICEMAIL

For $59.99 I could have had the same plan but with 8 megs instead of 2 megs.
    Doc,

I made my first *2 call about Treo/family plans (I'd been letting everyone else sit on hold and just been reading the results here) and asked specifically about your $45.99 plan (which I have an ad for in my hands). She insisted that there will be a $20 per month charge for the 2nd line. The ad (though deceptive as all SPCS ads are) hints that it is not free either. Summarizing the ad (I don't know if you've seen it) it says "Share your minutes with a second PCS Phone on either plan at no additional monthly charge... then it lists the 89.99 2000 AT and the 109.99 2500 AT plans... then on the back it says "Or try one of these great plans" then it lists your plan and a 800 AT for 59.99 saying NOTHING about sharing the minutes with another phone. The fact that those plans say nothing about sharing is probably why they don't need to add the "$20" small print anywhere since the only plans mentioning sharing are free to add the second phone.

Please let us know after your bill comes in what happens. I would love you plan, but I really have my doubts about the "any plan with MBs has free add-a-phone"....
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by mpk65281
    Doc,

I made my first *2 call about Treo/family plans (I'd been letting everyone else sit on hold and just been reading the results here) and asked specifically about your $45.99 plan (which I have an ad for in my hands). She insisted that there will be a $20 per month charge for the 2nd line. The ad (though deceptive as all SPCS ads are) hints that it is not free either. Summarizing the ad (I don't know if you've seen it) it says "Share your minutes with a second PCS Phone on either plan at no additional monthly charge... then it lists the 89.99 2000 AT and the 109.99 2500 AT plans... then on the back it says "Or try one of these great plans" then it lists your plan and a 800 AT for 59.99 saying NOTHING about sharing the minutes with another phone. The fact that those plans say nothing about sharing is probably why they don't need to add the "$20" small print anywhere since the only plans mentioning sharing are free to add the second phone.

Please let us know after your bill comes in what happens. I would love you plan, but I really have my doubts about the "any plan with MBs has free add-a-phone"....
    THanks for the information. I am skeptical about what SPCS has told me to. Actually I don't believe anything I hear from them anymore. It's kind of funny how deceptive they are being about the new plans. I often wonder if there are any grounds for a class action lawsuit -- not that I am extremely bitter about this, but I think it is somewhat pathetic you can get away with running a company like this, and it might be worthwhile to prove a point to SPCS that they should not treat customers this way -- intentional or not.

I'll post here when I get my first bill.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Dr. C, your posts just get more and more foolish -- and yes, this is meant to be hostile. SPCS reps are morons, and yes, they do seem to hire the handicapped. That being said, to make the jump to consipiracy theories, or suggerst they are intentionally trying to decieve you is not reasonable. Are the SPCS litterature and price plans confusing? Yes, but no more so than the early days of cellphones. Are there far too many plans, and CSRs are inadequqtely trrained? You bet. CAVEAT EMPTOR - let the buyer beware. A class action suit would require proof that SPCS was intentionally lying. I am sorry you are unhappy with your service. I know (and in fact, you ahve even posted previously) you had unreasonable expectations. Bottomn line, that is YOUR problem, not theirs. Sprint is living up to, or in this case down to, the standard of the telecommunications and technology industry when they roll out new technology. Is it less than perfect? You bet. IS it worthy of a law suit? Give me a break.
    I, for one think handicapped people would be doing a better job of cusomer service. The problem is not the front line customer service people, it is the managemet's inability to properly train their people. It is not like this roll out crept up on them. They planned this launch. So, this is the best efforts of their planning.

I can expect some questions to arise from the technology side. What is inexcusable is the customer service people not having accurate information about service plans. I am signed up for a plan that is $120 a month and I expect good service period. Cingular's service (which I have now and I might go back to, I have 7 days left to decide) was superb, Verizon was terrible. Their CSR were trained to make me think the problem was mine. I will never use another Verizon Service again if I can avoid it (I still owe them money 5 years later...lol. Good luck to them getting it.).

As for a law suit, I will reserve judgement for now. I do not like what I am hearing on some other boards about Sprint's Customer Service. These a gripes from customers before 3g. I do not like the idea of being held hostage to a service for $650 ($500 for the phone and $150 for a cancellation fee). Lets just give them a little bit of a chance here. If in a couple of months, there are some major issues, I am on board with a law suit.

For now lets give them a chance to let the dust settle and do the right thing.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Sully, what other boards do you track? And while anyone can sue about any topic, I would wonder what damages you could possibly claim.

Sprint released 40 different consumer plans, 4 new phones, and an entirely new data network all at once. They have had the worst Customer Service amongst Verizon, AT&T, and Moblie-T in the NY metropolitan area for years (but also the least expensive calling plans).

To expect a change in their corporate culture AND CSR's trained in all of their offerings the first week is not the real world. On the other hand, CSR's performance thus far have been woefully inadequate. I, for one, am just not surprised.

As for the expense of the plans, this is a company who just started to charge airtime to find out how many minutes you have used (*4). They have started to charge their prepay customers for Customer Service calls ($3 per call). So if you think they are going to cut you a break while they get their network up and running, you are kidding yourself. With the demise of Worldcom, telecom companies are looking for every way they can to squeeze money out of consumers. The era of free phones, free incoming first minute, and no activation fees is over, and Sprint is no different than its competitors now in terms of overcharging you for what is clearly less than addequate service. But seriously, tell me, when did your 2g cell phone service ever live up to its hype? Was it ever good enough that you could give up your land line phone? Cause that was the initital promise.
    dotoroc:

You pulled your plan summary
    My Plan Summary:

PCS FREE & CLEAR WITH VISION
    $44.99 PCS FREE & CLEAR WITH VISION
    MINUTES ARE SHARED ON THIS PLAN
    ALL MINUTES INCLUDE LONG DISTANCE
    500 ANYTIME MINUTES
    4000 NIGHT AND WEEKEND MINUTES
    NIGHTS: M-TH 9PM-7AM WKND: F 9PM-M 7AM
    2 MB OF PCS VISION
    2 MB = 2084 KB
    DATA IS NOT SHARED
    CALLER ID, CALL WAITING
    THREE-WAY CALLING
    VOICEMAIL
    Off of the website? Did you try checking the "plans" for your other phones? If you do, you will se whether these additional phones have a $20 charge on them or not.

For me, my first "additional" phone (ie my second phone) is free. The third has a $20 chargeThe
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by work_permit
    dotoroc:

You pulled your plan summary

Off of the website? Did you try checking the "plans" for your other phones? If you do, you will se whether these additional phones have a $20 charge on them or not.

For me, my first "additional" phone (ie my second phone) is free. The third has a $20 chargeThe
    Hi work_permit, thanks for the tip

My Plan

My Plan Summary:

PCS ADD-A-PHONE WITH VISION
    PCS ADD-A-PHONE WITH VISION
    $0.00 MONTHLY SERVICE CHARGE
    2 MB OF PCS VISION
    2 MB = 2048 KB
    CALLER ID, CALL WAITING
    THREE-WAY CALLING
    VOICEMAIL

It looks indeed as if there is no charge for the first add a phone.
    All,

Just looked at my pricing which was quoted at:

$69.99, 800 AT, 5200 NW, 8MB data for 2 phones.

If I look at the non-primary phone, it says "$20 service charge." I have sent a pretty scathing e-mail to Sprint about this, and that I was quoted a price of $69.99 for both phones together and that they need to meet that quote.

Let you know what happens...right now I'm pretty pissed.

Nobull
  16.    #16  
    All,

Just looked at my pricing which was quoted at:

$69.99, 800 AT, 5200 NW, 8MB data for 2 phones.

If I look at the non-primary phone, it says "$20 service charge." I have sent a pretty scathing e-mail to Sprint about this, and that I was quoted a price of $69.99 for both phones together and that they need to meet that quote.

Let you know what happens...right now I'm pretty pissed.

Nobull
    This is because the SPCS rep who set up your account did not know what they were doing. They were setting it up the "old way" You need to dial *2 and explain to them that they need to set up the account the "new way" where there is zero charge for your first add-a-phone.
    Dr c,

Yep, doing that right now. I distinctly told the SCSR about the need to set the add-a-phone as a primary phone and she was totally lost. She assured me there would be no $20 charge.

Hopefully *2 can help...on-hold now...

Nobull
  18. BCG
    All the posts have been helpful. I was helped by a VERY respectful, smart service rep. I transfered from one phone to my new Treo and from my husband's old phone to my old phone. It could have been very complicated, but it wasn't. The rep apologized for the length of time we were on the phone, but I didn't find it excessive.

About plans and second phone charges. There are several variables here: 1. What service area you are in (different areas of the country have very different options); 2. What kind of plan you chose. After thinking I had the plan I wanted, the rep asked if I'd like to have her check for any similar ones for less money. She found me one with four times the minutes I now have and no charge for the add-a-phone for less than we are paying for the plan we've had for years.

I comlimented her on the entire transaction. She said many of the callers she has dealt with in the last several weeks have been rude and few have had the patience to work this all the way thru with her.

I don't mean to imply that those who have had neg stuff to say are among those rude ones, but, as you call, keep in mind that at least some of the reps really try.

Enjoy your Treos!

bcg
    bcg
    bcg,

Can you post the specs on your plan? It is helpful for us all to know what to ask for...
  20. BCG
    Remember that each service area has completely different plans available.

$69.99 PCS FREE & CLEAR WITH VISION
    * MINUTES ARE SHARED ON THIS PLAN
    * ALL MINUTES INCLUDE LONG DISTANCE
    * 800 ANYTIME MINUTES
    * 5200 NIGHT AND WEEKEND MINUTES
    * NIGHTS: M-TH 9PM-7AM WKND: F 9PM-M 7AM
    * 8 MB OF PCS VISION
    * 8 MB = 8192 KB
    * DATA IS NOT SHARED
    * CALLER ID, CALL WAITING
    * THREE-WAY CALLING
    * VOICEMAIL