Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using their Treo 300 as a modem with a laptop? I downloaded the new sprint pcs connection software, but it doesn't recognize the treo......

I also tried the wirelessmodem from www.notifymail.com, and that doesn't work either.

I think the wirelessmodem app doesn't work because it allows the laptop to actually dial up an ISP using the PDA as a modem. You can't do this with 3G though, since we are not actually dialout out with 3G, like we used to do with 2G.....

we need a prc that will basically use the 3G connection and NAT to provide the laptop network access and settings via DHCP......
    Originally posted by Fikse
    Has anyone tried using their Treo 300 as a modem with a laptop? I downloaded the new sprint pcs connection software, but it doesn't recognize the treo......

I also tried the wirelessmodem from www.notifymail.com, and that doesn't work either.
    From everything I've read (and I researched the subject here thoroughly on the other boards before purchasing my 270) is that you won't be able to use your Treo 300 as a wireless modem in the same way that you could use your I300 ....

The folks at notifymail.com have created something which allows the 180/270 units to act as an IR modem to connect a laptop to the Internet ... but that's all it supports so far. No use for me, as I have a subnotebook so it doesn't have an IR port. If they came up with something that would allow modem support out of the port on the bottom, I'd be all over it. But it doesn't exist today....
    Fiske,
    What application did you download from Sprint? I was not aware anything was ready yet?
    I agree with dtoombs, without some other software application, the new phones are not going to be able to connect like a modem.

homer
    Originally posted by Fikse
    we need a prc that will basically use the 3G connection and NAT to provide the laptop network access and settings via DHCP......
    This is exactly what I was thinking also. The only problem though is that the client side apps (on the laptop or whatever you're connecting it too), will probably also need to configured a different way. It'd need to behave like ethernet over IR or something, which should probably be possible (I've seen ethernet over USB), but I'm not sure if the software exists right now which would allow such a thing.

So technically, it should be possible. We just need some people to make some new software to allow us to do it.
    Has anyone emailed me (support@notifymail.com) specifically about getting WirelessModem to work with the Treo 300? As far as I know, it will work fine to connect to a 3G network. I'm working with one customer who is running some tests and will post results as soon as I have them. The only issue is that you must connect your Treo to your laptop via IR or serial right now. I'm working on a Mac OS X driver to allow you to use it over USB to the Mac, but Windows users will still have to use IR or Serial (unless someone wants to write the driver for me).

BTW, the Treo DOES "dial" when connecting to a 3G network. The phone number may not appear in the settings, but it dials #777.

Thanks.
    I wonder if the Sprint 3G PC card could be added as a free phone using data megs ?
    First to answer on the aircard. I don't think there is a charge to add the aircard. I know the aircard and tro share the MB. The aircards are $250-400, hardly free.

I know some people, on another thread, have had sucess in dialing into MSN. I was wondering, if we use the synch cable from the laptop to the treo and dial into MSN/AOL/ISP can we use the internet on the laptop??

I originally went with just 2000 anytime minutes and I was going to try to get by with the Treo data only. If I could use the treo to dial up and browse the web with my laptop, I might go back to the N&W plan.

I love the treo for the internet, but the Blazer does not handle javascrips. Now a days, almost every site uses some form of script. I especially want to use financial services such as brokerage, banking, and credit cards. These are all java based. Does anyone know of a handheld browser that handles javascripts???

Thanks,
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
  8.    #8  
    I have been going back and forth with sgruby trying to get the treo 300 to work as a modem.

I WAS able to get a connection with my PowerBook G4 via IR to the treo 300. I could perform low bandwidth communications.... telnet, ftp directory listings, etc.. etc... BUT, as soon as I tried to transfer anything of a decent size I would lose the connection...

I have not been able to use the treo as a modem using the serial cable with my mac... it has something to do with the keyspan usb to serial adapter.

I can open a serial connection to the treo and communicate with the wireless modem on a windoze 2000 box. I just don't have any windoze modem drivers for the treo to see if I can get online with the treo and a windoze machine...
    Originally posted by sgruby

BTW, the Treo DOES "dial" when connecting to a 3G network. The phone number may not appear in the settings, but it dials #777.
    So I assume you establish a normal dialup connection over IR, with the # being 777 and the username and password being your PCS Vision equivalents?

I'll have to try this at least and see if it works. If not, expect an email from me I'd really like to find a way to get the treo to work as a modem for my laptop...
    Originally posted by cfsully
    Does anyone know of a handheld browser that handles javascripts???
    Xiino can handle at least some javascript.
  11.    #11  
    dial #777 and leave the username and password blank
    Well, tried some stuff and here's my results..

I've installed the IrCOMM driver under windows xp and setup a generic modem to use the the irda com port. Then I setup the wirelessmodem software to use IrCOMM for port 1 and the wireless modem for port 2, and then to enable the pass through.

I tried modem drivers from 9600 to 33600, which all worked. 56000 did not.

The port speed didn't seem to make a difference from 9600 to 115200.

Same goes for the wirelessmodem side of things. All port speeds seem to work the same as the others.

I setup a general dialup account to dial #777 and leave the username and password blank, just as Fikse suggested.

I can connect, but it doesn't connect higher than 9600kbps. Also, everything works, but only for a short period. For example, I can ping a few sites, or I can begin to log into IRC, or start to load up a site. However, shortly after I do any of these things, the connection seems to just die. I don't get disconnected, but nothing works anymore. I can't ping any sites, connect to anything in a web browser, via ftp, etc. The connection just seems to freeze.

So... it seems like it's a start, but there's obviously something going wrong here...

It sounds like so far that my experience is pretty much the same as Fikse's.
    I just got a Treo 300 last night, so I'm still trying to figure things out. Fiske and Dibrom have shown that WirelessModem does, indeed, let you use the Treo 300 as a modem. The unreliable portion is probably related to IR. I'm working through a lot of things and my goal is to have a working USB driver for OS X (for WirelessModem only, not syncing) in the near future. For everyone else, there is always serial.
    What would it take to get XP<->300 communicating thru USB?
    Originally posted by ijablokov
    What would it take to get XP<->300 communicating thru USB?
    Someone with enough knowledge about USB to write a Windows USB driver. I'd be more than happy to help, but I don't have the Windows knowledge to do so. I'm working on the OS X driver now and don't have a desire to do Windows.

If a developer steps up to the plate, I could make it worth his/her time to deliver a working USB driver.
    I am a Windows driver developer ...

As far as XP is concerned the USB driver stack is already supported ... you don't need a driver.

The sync cables for the 300 is USB, and I do know that I purchased the serial to USB cable at Best Buy and now sync my m105 both at home and the office on XP with no problems. I guess I'm curious ... what do you believe is the problem with XP and its USB driver stack?

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little
    I am a Windows driver developer ...

As far as XP is concerned the USB driver stack is already supported ... you don't need a driver.

The sync cables for the 300 is USB, and I do know that I purchased the serial to USB cable at Best Buy and now sync my m105 both at home and the office on XP with no problems. I guess I'm curious ... what do you believe is the problem with XP and its USB driver stack?

Gary
    I didn't say that there was a problem...the Treo 180/270 doesn't register as a USB modem when it is put on the USB bus; the 300 is even odder as it registers as a USB Composite device. So basically a driver needs to be developed that lets Windows talk to the Treo (over USB) as if it was talking to a modem. This would allow the user to choose "Handspring Treo" from a popup when the user selects the port.

Feel free to download WirelessModem from: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/>, install it and then turn it on...you definitely can't talk to it like it was a modem. Furthermore, the driver must be able to distinguish if it is a HotSync or not so that HotSync Manager can co-exist with it. The current Mac OS X driver I've written (Treo 180/270) already does this.

Feel free to email me offline if you've interested in writing the driver.

Thanks.
    *bump*

Anyone make any progress getting the Treo 300 to work as a modem in Windows XP (with or without the WirelessModem software)...?

By work I mean actually stable, not freezing up, and perhaps transferring data quickly, fast enough to keep up with the network, which would require a connection greater than 9600.

I'm about to plunk down some cash for a laptop card here pretty soon unless I can find a way to make the Treo 300 work as a modem instead.
    There is a new Reply to post 'Using the Treo 300 as a modem?' at TreoCentral.com.
    There is a new Reply to post 'Using the Treo 300 as a modem?' at TreoCentral.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast