1.    #1  
    According to my information, 3G (Third Generation) standards were set by the ITU (International Telecommunication Union) and were accepted by major companies operating in Japan, US, Europe and elsewhere. The specification is called IMT-2000 and is supposed to be a blueprint for standardizing the nexyt generation of mobile telephone devices.

IMT-2000 specifies 384KBS for "pedestrian speed" devices as opposed to cars, etc. It is acknowledged that real world speeds will be less but generally, not 1/50th of that advertised. We need to work on this part, or else we have 2.75G.

It also specified Packet switched rather than circuit switched. Sprint vision is packet. OK Here

It also specifies Global Roaming. Comments from Sprint are welcome here but it's fine to get the US straightened out first.
    Does Sprint actually refer to PCS Vision in ads, brochures, or on their websites as 3G? They used to have a "3G Technology" section on their website at www2.sprintpcs.com/aboutsprintpcs/CDMA_3g/, but this is gone. (Google still has it cached, though, and I've linked the URL to the cached copy.)

I talked to a Sprint store rep the other day, and it was obvious they weren't even familiar with the term "3G".

Here's a quote from Google's cache from another page Sprint has removed (or at least moved and password-protected), www.developer.sprintpcs.com/about/index.jsp?action=faq:

What is the difference between 2.5G and the first phase of Sprint PCS' 3G 1XRTT?
    Both 2.5 G and 3G1x operate on a packet network and offer peak data rates greater than those on circuit-switched networks today. But beyond that, 3G1x delivers significantly greater advantages than 2.5G and 3G1, phase one, with a peak data rate of 144 KBPS and is recognized as a 3G standard by the ITU.

A comparison:

• 3G1x Phase 1 is recognized as a 3G standard by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). Using 3G1x phase 1, data can be transmitted at speeds of up to 144 KBPS. In phase 2, speeds can reach 288 KBPS.
    2.5G is most commonly associated with European standards. It transmits data over a packet network system at speeds of up to 115 KBPS. GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is often described synonymously with 2.5G.

The current 2G CDMA technology also provides for another evolution packet data solution---IS 95B. Sometimes this technology has been known as 2.5G technology. IS 95B combines voice with data, offering speeds up to 64kbps. This evolution path has been deployed primarily in Japan. The IS 95B packet data technology does not provide spectrum utilization efficiencies nor voice capacity increases compared to 3G1x.

CDMA2000 3G1x is an integrated voice and data solution, while 2.5G / GPRS is a packet data-only service.

CDMA2000 3G1x can effectively increase the voice capacity up to two times.
    So apparently per the ITU, Sprint is within their rights calling Sprint Vision a 3G technology, if indeed they are still doing so. I think most independent analysts would consider 1xRTT a 2.5G technology, like GPRS.

Note their statement "CDMA2000 3G1x is an integrated voice and data solution, while 2.5G / GPRS is a packet data-only service" is misleading, since according to the Handspring Treo 300 FAQ:

Q. Can I browse the Internet and access email or other messaging applications while talking on my Treo communicator?
    A. No. Voice and data calls cannot be made simultaneously on the 1xRTT network. If you are in an active data session (sending or receiving email, downloading a web page), and receive a voice call, it will be sent to your voice mail.
    With GSM/GPRS, on the other hand, simultaneous voice and data is possible on a "class A" device (none of these apparently exist yet).
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the research, although I'm worried when any carrier, especially the one selling the service says speeds up to 144kbs. That would mean 1kbs qualifies.

I have to admit that I was paraphrasing info from a Wireless Mag (page 49 issue 5 volume 8) Portable processing enters the mainstream on the cover) and haven't dug into the actual ITU spec. Sprint has lots of lawyers and the absence of the 3G section is somewhat conspicious.

Isn't your quote Sprint's spin of what the ITU says though ? Until I see some throughput (show me the data and I'll show you the money) I'll call it Sprints's 2.9G or pre 3G network.