1.    #1  
    I still don't get how we do the password. To me, ... I mean... maybe I'm just dense... but why did Sprint have to introduce a second ID and password anyway? And... what's up with giving you a page where you can change the password... but then requiring you to *know* the password in order to change it... then promising us we'd get an SMS message with the id and password in it... but then we don't get the SMS message... and the techs are all hush hush about it saying nobody's supposed to know our password -- when they know the password for our regular phone account anyway!

The only thing I can think of us they were trying to introduce a *buy now* kind of password service... sort of a takeoff of Microsoft's "Passport" kind of password.

Okay... so how do we *do* it? I went to the PCS Vision page on the web, changed my user name to one that gets rid of the digits... promptly lost provisioning (I wish they would have told me I'd be unplugging myself), called the tech support number (it was obvious that she had never even heard how this was done before, let alone how to help me, even though the webpage says in bold print that in order to activate the new password, we have to call her! -- and to make matters even worse (insult to injury), Sprint has a typo on that webpage in the phone number for tech support. The one they have there - 888-211-4747 - is disconnected! [it should be (888)211-4727 of course, as we all know now! :-) ]) So... anyway... she called a higher tier (are we seeing a pattern here or what? :-) ) and they informed her that the change had been activated and I'd get service and the new id in 4 hours. Now... what I don't know for sure is... will provisioning recall me now with the new id ... and will they change my password?

So... just in case, I went into prefs-networking and changed the userid manually (when I clicked on Modify, it said, "You might not be able to connect if you change this. Are you sure you want to do it?" --- I gulped and said yes, figuring I was already in too deep to turn back :-) ). It said the password was unassigned... so I tried one... and took the numbers off the end of my name.

Who knows if I'll ever see those cool weather maps ever again.
    :-(

I'm nuts. :-)
    Doug
    Doug
    If you ever find out let how let me know. I have been getting the run around on this issue for the last three days. I just got off the phone with about the ninth person I have talked to about this. I was told that it could be another 48 hours before I can access the web. This really burns me when I hear people say that they just got their phone and they are already set-up.
    I did change my user ID yesterday and also my password. To get my Vision password, I had to sign on with my phone number then go to the Vision section account profile and establish my password because nobody at Sprint knew how to get it and it's been 3 days and no SMS mail.

I only changed my password because when I logged on to the vision section on the right side of the web screen, it thought I was someone other than the one that set up the account and forced me to change vision passwords. Having two passwords is a bit confusing but not out of the ordinary.

The phone re-provisioned itself immediately (IMHO allow 4 hours is like 3 weeks for shipping and handling) via the message"your network setting appear to be out of date" but I had to change the password manually, not a big deal.

It still looks like the account ends in 01 but the username you log in with changes and that's how you access the website. Maybe Rob can provide more info........

There are alot of setting revealed when you unlock to change your password that Sprint probably doesn't want touched and shouldn't be touched. They appear to be the Ip addresses and some other setting I havn't look at yet. Don't change them because you can't get automatically provisioned if you can't connect.

Also, keep in mind that Smart Phones and PDAs are new to cell carriers, and even though they have had them awhile, it takes time to fully understand them.

On the other hand, I believe Sprint needs to acknowledge that a 14 day return process is totally inadequate for a product that rolls out this slowly, and where they say don't touch your phone "this week" because they are clearly thinking in terms of more than 14 days to fully resolve the service issues. My clock started ticking on the 8th when the Sprint rep sold the Treo, a weeks's gone by, and I have 6 or 7 more days to decide if these issues will be resolved.

I like the product but I'll bet a bunch of early contract terminations would increase the size of the task force and get some Treo's up and running in stores where they can show us the Clarity you can See and Hear (Quote from Bill Esrey, CEO)
    I had the problem of not being able to set my Vision password.
    After "reprovisioning" everything was better.
    I had to wait 24 hours though...
    I asked for and got an extension of the 14 days from a supervisor during my troubles....I supposedly have 21 days now.....
  6.    #6  
    PCMusician, could I ask... how did you know your password in the first place, so you could type it in when creating a new one? (Doesn't the site require your existing password, if I recall?)

Doug
    Doug
    I had to log in using my phone number and default password which should have been the last 4 digits of a number used to extract money from you paycheck then pay you back some day.

While in that section, I figured I would change it to a "more conventional password" whils still on the part of the site you use your phone number to access. Then, I went to the Sprint Vision section and went to the user profile, and I had two spaces to put the initial and confirmed password. I tried the "more conventional password" I had set up in the last section and it made me use a new one since it thought I was someone other than the one establishing the initial password. Go figure. Remember not all functions on their site work at all times and they don't usually want to tell you something's broken.

So.... you may be doing it correctly, but the site bombs
    I'm still lost too; I can browse the web with Blazer, but can't get SMS or email (PCS Business Connection), but I can at least sync my Outlook Exchange inbox every time I sync (better than nothin'). I can't log into the Vision section of the website and when I log into the left-side login (with my PCS # and acct pwd) and then go to 'My Profile - Settings' to try to change my Vision pwd, I don't even see the option!!! Now here is the other strange part - on my treo under network prefs, I do have a user name and 'assigned' pwd.

Anyone know what's going on here??? Thanks in advance.
  9.    #9  
    bluehorizons, my conclusion is that Sprint PCS probably didn't have this one thought through cleanly enough. Some management team somewhere really didn't carry through with careful enough instructions to a programming team, or something like that. Because the truth is, it *feels* like the PCS Vision password thing is nothing short of mythical.

The one thing we're finding is that the Sprint computers can "populate" the information fields in our prefs-network dialogue boxes. That'll tell us our user name. But beyond that, I have yet to hear how we'll *ever* know assuredly what is our PCS Vision password, for whatever it's worth. :-)

Doug
    Doug
    DougLucas -

Thx for the reply. I was leaning towards generating the same conclusion you stated, and it wouldn't surprise me coming from SprintPCS anyway.

But my question still remains - how can I get the PCS Business Connection loaded up to deliver emails in real-time to my Treo?

Thanks again..

-msb
  11.    #11  
    aaahhh... I'm no good there. I haven't even *looked* at that business services stuff. I *would* like to get an SMS program working . . . and a good email client too... but I don't think I'm in need of the full-blown business services thing.
    Sorry about that!
    Doug
    Doug
    Originally posted by bluehorizons
    DougLucas -

Thx for the reply. I was leaning towards generating the same conclusion you stated, and it wouldn't surprise me coming from SprintPCS anyway.

But my question still remains - how can I get the PCS Business Connection loaded up to deliver emails in real-time to my Treo?

Thanks again..

-msb
    I'm in the same boat.... push messages to my device is checked but mail only comes in via a sync. I think we should raise this as a contract issue. I have 7 more days to decide to stay with Sprint and I either need message waiting notification (Treo mail gave me this with Cingular) or pushed mail. If I miss mail I lose money and possibly my job. I'm going to lobby for 14 days after the first message is pushed to decide if I want Sprint.

I understand start up issues as long as they tolerate me paying late.
    I've got "pushed messages to device" in Business Conncetion working, sort of. When I first checked it, nothing happened, no messages. I then clicked on the button at the bottom forcing a sync, retrieving my messages manually. Somehow, this must have updated my settings, because messages started to be pushed automatically (received them on my Treo about 30 seconds after arriving in my inbox on my desktop). However, after a lull of about 2.5 hours of not receiving any emails to my desktop, when I again received a message it didn't "push" to the Treo. I'm not sure what is happening.
    Originally posted by PCMusician

I'm in the same boat.... push messages to my device is checked but mail only comes in via a sync. I think we should raise this as a contract issue. I have 7 more days to decide to stay with Sprint and I either need message waiting notification (Treo mail gave me this with Cingular) or pushed mail. If I miss mail I lose money and possibly my job. I'm going to lobby for 14 days after the first message is pushed to decide if I want Sprint.

I understand start up issues as long as they tolerate me paying late.
    I believe the way BC works (at least the way it seems to be working on mine) is that if you tell the palm client to "push" email, the BC server sends an SMS message to your Treo when new mail arrives, then the Treo connects to the BC server to download the mail. Not really "push", more like "notify-and-pull". The way I have it configured is to send me a notification when new mail arrives (this is configured at bc.sprintpcs.com), but I have my Treo set to "No scheduled sync or push". This way I get an SMS message with the sender/subject when new mail arrives, and if I want to actually view the body I can tell Biz Conn to go get the full email. Good thing is that SMS messages are unlimited and free, so the notifications don't count as data, only the pulling of the actual email contents. I realize this doesn't work for everybody, but it's sufficient for me.
    BTW, forgot to mention that if you want a "messages waiting" sort of message via SMS on Business Connection, that works fine. You've got to set it up via the https://bc.sprintpcs.com site. Login, then go to settings, then under the "alerts" section, check the "all alerts on" button. Then, click through on the "business connection alert settings" link in this section. Check "send me alerts of all new unread business connection mail." This works, even if you don't have data service. I set this up, and during the 48 hours or so that I couldn't get provisioned, I was getting sms messages almost instantly letting me know that I'd received an email to my desktop (sender, subject, date and time). It was driving me crazy knowing that it was working, but not being able to actually access the email by my Treo. Now all is well. I've turned off the alerts, since I get the actual mail pushed to me (no need to have a message alert that I've got mail in my inbox and then immediately see the mail).