1.    #1  
    My Treo 300 just arrived!!!!!

I have a home network with an SMC barricade. I was thinking that if our Sprint internet service is "always on", we might have a static IP. If that is the case, I can access my home system from my Treo. This would be good if I want to get a file to email or acceess photos or music from my home system.

Does anyone have any more information on this??
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    I don't think it would be static, but you can always access remote files using Sprint's Business Connect.
    You are right. Sprint is not going to provide static IPs. You do get to keep your IP until you loose your signal, have to reset your phone, or disconnect after 2 hours of not sending or receiving any information.

homer
    Originally posted by cfsully:
    I have a home network with an SMC barricade. I was thinking that if our Sprint internet service is "always on", we might have a static IP. If that is the case, I can access my home system from my Treo.
    Does the Barricade allow you to specify allowed systems by hostname, or just by IP address? If the former, then you could use dynamic DNS to keep that hostname up to date with your Treo's IP. Of course you'd need a dynamic DNS client (either the HTTP kind or the TSIG kind) for Palm OS, which may not exist right now, or you'd have to use the manual update via web form method.

If it has to be by IP, then you'd have to do something more elaborate with a CGI script on a webserver that you'd give your IP to, which would cause your Barricade to get connected to and that IP added to the allowed list.