Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well one of your board compatrions gave me this url and I decided to come and take a look. You see I am a SPrint tech. One of the guys who are "clueless" by some accounts. I assure all of you I am not. I helped one of your posters just a few minutes ago. What I would like to tell you guys is to calm down. Things are gonna get smoothed out really soon. The treos are great handsets and you guys are really good at using them. But you got to realize, we have had them for a few months now. As many of you may know is that when launching any new technology their is gonna be some wrinkles. TRUST ME. SPrint is working on them very hard.

SPrint "tech" support
    Rob.. welcome to TreoCentral! Thanks for checking in.

Remember me... I'm the guy who told you about TreoCentral.

Thanks for taking time to help me. As I told you on the phone, your firm suggestion that I try the idea of a hard reset to fix my error (after a TreoCentral participant recommended the hard reset) was *critical* to me being able to get up and running tonight after a *very* frustrating glitch.

And Rob... by the way... I'm now provisioned and am looking at *beautiful* color satellite weather maps at weather.com. And... the speed isn't bad at all!!! Fast enough for my taste! :-)

Thanks again!

Doug
    Doug
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    Well one of your board compatrions gave me this url and I decided to come and take a look. You see I am a SPrint tech. One of the guys who are "clueless" by some accounts. I assure all of you I am not. I helped one of your posters just a few minutes ago. What I would like to tell you guys is to calm down. Things are gonna get smoothed out really soon. The treos are great handsets and you guys are really good at using them. But you got to realize, we have had them for a few months now. As many of you may know is that when launching any new technology their is gonna be some wrinkles. TRUST ME. SPrint is working on them very hard.

SPrint "tech" support
    I wish you Sprint support folks luck - you need to ride the next few weeks out "like a mule in a hailstorm" as my old boss used to say
    Originally posted by Iggie

I wish you Sprint support folks luck - you need to ride the next few weeks out "like a mule in a hailstorm" as my old boss used to say
    Ditto -- good luck folks. I still recant what I have said previously, your CSR reps have no idea what they are doing or talking about yet, but with my interactions with the TECH people (not CSR) have all been very positive and you seem to know what you are doing.

It's the CSR staff who are really very clueless about what is going on. I can call 4 times and get 4 different stories on my current pricing plan, how to activate, etc. This is *NOT* good and reflects poorly on everyone else at the company, as the CSR are the first people to deal with a customer. The fact that this transition was so poorly organized and implemented also reflects poorly in Sprint.

I am a technical person myself, and have to deal a lot with business development, marketing, and executive decisions that often threaten to compromise my work and increase pressure / demands on my team because the non-tech people seldom have a clue. I understand the pressure the techs at Sprint must be under. I bet they were gritting their teeth knowing that 3g was nowhere near ready for prime time but were forced to support its release due to financial / marketing / corporate decisions.

It's just unfortunate that Sprint did not have time to train their CSRs first, as this is the first line of 'defense' against confused / angry / mis-configured customers -- and then to encounter CSR staff that has literally no idea what they are talking about can be very frustrating.

Summary: SPCS Technical team A+, SPCS Customer Service D-, SPCS Corporate Droids F+
    Bobacus - Thanks for posting. Would you mind posting all those price plans that are not mentioned on the Sprint Web site?

Good luck.
    I agree with doctorc: the tech people at Sprint have always been helpful and knowledgable. The people who are in charge of answering questions about billing and plans, however, only occasionally know what they're talking about. As others have noted, you literally get a different answer to the same question every time you call. Whenever you make a change to your plan, odds are really high that there will be a problem on your next bill -- and not one that redounds to the benefit of the customer. I like Sprint's product, and I would buy Sprint PCS stock if only the company would get its customer support in shape.
    Last edited by catoite; 08/14/2002 at 10:11 AM.
    Originally posted by catoite
    I agree with doctordc: the tech people at Sprint have always been helpful and knowledgable. The people who are in charge of answering questions about billing and plans, however, only occasionally know what they're talking about. As others have noted, you literally get a different answer to the same question every time you call. Whenever you make a change to your plan, odds are really high that there will be a problem on your next bill -- and not one that redounds to the benefit of the customer. I like Sprint's product, and I would buy Sprint PCS stock if only the company would get its customer support in shape.
    Yes -- in fact, this is how I was able to get my 3g service activated last Thursday, several days before most of you. I just kept calling customer support until I got someone who barely knew what they were doing, and they activated the phone. I kept getting people telling me "we can't activate 3g yet" -- so I would just hang up, call *2 again, and finally I got a clueless person who happily activated 3g for me.
    If Sprint is working very hard on this maybe they could devote a couple of techs to this board and start some threads to help people out. Personally, I want to find someone who can explain why my mail is not pushed to the phone.

Everything else seems to work OK but data speed is not 3G yet. Your actually selling CDMA2000 R1 as 3G right ? 3G defines minimum data speeds for PDAs as 384KBS. What are realistic expectations of throughput ? In other words, how good is it likely to get ? One minute to load a 50KB page is still pretty slow.

BTW, does Don Albers still work there ? How about Joe Tierney ?

Originally posted by Bobacus

SPrint "tech" support
  9.    #9  
    Wow
    Alot of people looked at my post. Now, sprint isn't going to have tech assigned to the board. (we barely have enough as is). But I don't mind swinging by once in awhile to help out. Keep in mind I can't answer certain things. (I signed this little propriety agreement) If i feel something may conflict with that, I just won't respond. Sorry, But I need my job. If it's BASIC tech stuff or fixes for problems I hear about I will definately let you guys know.
    Rob... I blew out my Treo 300 connectivity provisioning again. I just couldn't leave well enough alone, could I. :-(
    Saw on your webpage where I could try to change my user id, so I figured (at a tech support person's suggestion... SUnday) I'd try to get rid of the digits at the end of my user name (go from DLucas02 to DLucas). So... now I can't connect again.

Do you know... will the big "Wizard-of-Oz-like"-Sprint-mainframe-mother-of-all-computers now call my phone somehow and repopulate the new ID and all, or do I have to change the id manually in my prefs-network settings? And... it says there that no password is assigned. What's up with that? Do we have to assign our own PCS-vision passwords? How will we ever find out what those are?

Thanks Rob. :-)
    Doug
    Doug
  11.    #11  
    Did you change it via the website?

If you did you must give it a little time and re-initaite your browser and let the system reset your phone's username. My suggestion to you is not to mess with passwords and username's till next week.(that goes for everybody)

Gotta go to work. Love them 14 hour days
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    If Sprint is working very hard on this maybe they could devote a couple of techs to this board and start some threads to help people out. Personally, I want to find someone who can explain why my mail is not pushed to the phone.

Everything else seems to work OK but data speed is not 3G yet. Your actually selling CDMA2000 R1 as 3G right ? 3G defines minimum data speeds for PDAs as 384KBS. What are realistic expectations of throughput ? In other words, how good is it likely to get ? One minute to load a 50KB page is still pretty slow.

BTW, does Don Albers still work there ? How about Joe Tierney ?

Yes, 1 minute to load 50kb page is about what I am getting as well. This is about as slow as my old 2g phone was. I certainly hope it gets better.
    Originally posted by DougLucas
    Rob... I blew out my Treo 300 connectivity provisioning again. I just couldn't leave well enough alone, could I. :-(
    Saw on your webpage where I could try to change my user id, so I figured (at a tech support person's suggestion... SUnday) I'd try to get rid of the digits at the end of my user name (go from DLucas02 to DLucas). So... now I can't connect again.

Do you know... will the big "Wizard-of-Oz-like"-Sprint-mainframe-mother-of-all-computers now call my phone somehow and repopulate the new ID and all, or do I have to change the id manually in my prefs-network settings? And... it says there that no password is assigned. What's up with that? Do we have to assign our own PCS-vision passwords? How will we ever find out what those are?

Thanks Rob. :-)
    Doug
    I"m not Rob but I did change my user ID yesterday and also my password. The phone re-provisioned itself ("you network setting appear to be out of date") but I had to change the password manually, not a big deal. It still looks like the account ends in 01 but the username you log in with changes and that's how you access the website. Maybe Rob can provide more info........
  14.    #14  
    Did you change it via the website?

If you did you must give it a little time and re-initaite your browser and let the system reset your phone's username. My suggestion to you is not to mess with passwords and username's till next week.(that goes for everybody)

Gotta go to work. Love them 14 hour days
  15.    #15  
    Doctorc- Reason 3g seems slower (right now) compared to 2g is 3 reasons.

1. 2g used a WAP based browser and you could only view certain sites.

2. More data is being thrown around on 3g (your'e gonna get 50-60kps min or as high as 100kps.)

3. Location. Location . LOCATION! It's a wireless signal folks. Does you wireless phone at home always give you a crisp signal?

BTW: If someone wants to start a faq thread and I would respond to what I can, I think it would be easier.
    Rob, thanks so much for the response. I know you're swamped.

Yes... I *did* use the website... so I'll be patient for the server to repopulate.

Your advice to "wait 'til next week" is probably sound. I just wanted to get everything set before I actually started *using* the id to sign up on pages... and using SMS or email messaging. And ... honestly... Sprint portrays the website as if it's working (they don't say on the site -- "This is beta; please use it at your own risk 'til Sept. 1st" or whatever). So... we users probably have a tendency to "take it to the bank" and expect it to work. Gulp.
    :-)

I'll hope for the best.

Thanks to other users for their responses as well. It gives me hope! :-)

Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug
    I'm still not reprovisioned (ticket since Monday) after switching to a Vision plan on Saturday. When I log in to SprintPCS with my phone number and go to the Preferences section, nothing Vision-related appears at all. If I try to log into Vision, I am not able to. I'm about to try a hard reset on my Treo because I'm losing my patience and am willing to try anything right now.
    Originally posted by zippy57
    I'm still not reprovisioned (ticket since Monday) after switching to a Vision plan on Saturday. When I log in to SprintPCS with my phone number and go to the Preferences section, nothing Vision-related appears at all. If I try to log into Vision, I am not able to. I'm about to try a hard reset on my Treo because I'm losing my patience and am will to try anything right now.
    Is a hard reset something to fear? I use BackupBuddy and feel secure, but even without it - don't you get Your Stuff back when you re-sync? You can't be much worse off than you are now? I had to do it before I got voice or data service (though I am not sure that is what fixed it for me).
    Bobacus (Rob), I just wanted to say that... I *did* use the website to change the ID. (I thought I had already replied... but the page doesn't appear to show it.) I just don't understand the relationship of the id and password in my Palm (in prefs-network) and those stored on the server.

Doug
    Doug
    I don't normally fear a Hard Reset, but this is the first time my PDA has had a "Sprint Provisioning" Network setting that might get wiped out. Not sure what stays and what goes on a hard reset beyond the normal entered Calendar/Notes/Applications stuff.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UPDATE: I performed the Hard Reset, and wallah, I'm reprovisioned! I'm still in disbelief. I mean, how hard would it be to have the Sprint tech people ask their customers to (1) synch up their data, (2) perform a Hard Reset, then (3) resynch to get the data back.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by zippy57; 08/14/2002 at 02:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast