1.    #1  
    I learned the hard way... If your Treo 300 hasn't been provisioned yet, no matter what you do, don't try sending an SMS message to yourself. I went to www.txtmsg.com and created an SMS message to my Sprint tel. number, just to experiment. In about 15 minutes, the message arrived, triggering this "Fatal Alert" now whenever I try to activate wireless service (turn on the cellphone to make a cell call):

../Src/SMSRoutines.c,
    Line: 282, No SMS DB refnum

So I had to call tech support, and all they could do there was create a trouble ticket, and tell me it would be 48 hours to find a solution. Unfortunately, that'll cause me to *miss* the call from the computer to automatically populate my PCS Vision/web connection. Those which have not been provisioned are scheduled for a call throughout the night (make sure your unit is on!) via a special script they're running . . . in an automated fashion (finally!). But I'll miss out while waiting for the SMS DB refnum fix.

Doug
    Doug
    Have you tried a hard reset? (hold down power key and press reset button on back). Select "Yes" to lose all data
    Roger
  3.    #3  
    Get this. I did the text message... blew up my phone... got your suggestion, and did the hard reset (while talking to a Sprint Tier 2 tech support guy named Rob, by the way :-) ). Rob wasn't real impressed with "Treocentral.com". He basically wanted us here to just trust Sprint to get things figured out. IN fact, he even wanted me to mention in this message -- give the tech support people a break. They'll figure things out. 'Course... I added that it was a member of this board who suggested the hard rest. :-)

So ... once I did the hard reset, I just wondered... what if I try to go on the web now. And... weird... I tried it... and went on the web... got the obligatory update... and got as far as connecting to the web... saw my user id name!!! (yahooo!)... but then got a *new* error that says, "Network is busy, unavailable, or data is not enabled." Alas,... failed again. :-(

Anybody seen *that* message?

I'll ask in a new thread.

And by the way... thanks for the hard reset suggestion! :-)
    Doug
    Doug
  4.    #4  
    Whoa. Weather maps... in color... on my cell phone!!! It's impressive. Okay... so maybe I'm easily impressed... but hey... this is indeed a remarkable innovation. I coach soccer... I'm out on the field... it starts to storm... but no lightning yet... so I bring up weather.com and look at the satellite photos to decide whether or not to take the players into the gym or tough out the storm outside. I love it! :-)
    Doug
    Doug
    Originally posted by DougLucas
    Whoa. Weather maps... in color... on my cell phone!!! It's impressive. Okay... so maybe I'm easily impressed... but hey... this is indeed a remarkable innovation. I coach soccer... I'm out on the field... it starts to storm... but no lightning yet... so I bring up weather.com and look at the satellite photos to decide whether or not to take the players into the gym or tough out the storm outside. I love it! :-)
    Doug
    Nice -- what is your throughput like? I'm still limping along at about 500 bytes to 1k per second.
  6.    #6  
    So... how do I measure throughput?
    I can just tell you that... subjectively, it's definitely faster than other tools like this that I've tried before. What was the name of that snap-on modem I used to use with my Palm V? ... I forget... but it *limped*. This seems every bit as fast as the speeds I typically get in dial-up... maybe equivalent (subjectively) to a 35K modem connection? I'm not sure... but it's still enough to amaze me. :-)
    Doug
    Doug