1.    #1  
    Ok, some sites (e.g. www.homedepot.com) won't even let you in to browse if you don't have a Java enabled browser.

So.... how do you get around this on the Treo? Are there any Java enabled browsers available for the Palm OS? Are there any hacks or tricks you can use to bypass such a check?
    doctorc writes:
    Ok, some sites (e.g. www.homedepot.com) won't even let you in to browse if you don't have a Java enabled browser.
    You mean JavaScript, not Java. Those are two completely different things (damn Netscape for trying to cash in on Java's popularity when naming their web scripting language).

There are a few sites that require Java, but that's a lot more rare than sites that require JavaScript. homedepot.com is one of the latter.

So.... how do you get around this on the Treo? Are there any Java enabled browsers available for the Palm OS?
    The only handheld browser (besides Pocket Internet Explorer for PocketPCs) I know off the top of my head with JavaScript support is Opera, but that's currently only available for Symbian and Linux handhelds.

Are there any hacks or tricks you can use to bypass such a check?
    Yes, if you're very technical you can view the page's source (Blazer allows this, right?) and "run the JavaScript in your head" to figure out the URL it would generate, then manually type that in. For a heavy JavaScript site like homedepot.com, however, this would be quite a pain.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    doctorc writes:
    You mean JavaScript, not Java. Those are two completely different things (damn Netscape for trying to cash in on Java's popularity when naming their web scripting language).

There are a few sites that require Java, but that's a lot more rare than sites that require JavaScript. homedepot.com is one of the latter.

The only handheld browser (besides Pocket Internet Explorer for PocketPCs) I know off the top of my head with JavaScript support is Opera, but that's currently only available for Symbian and Linux handhelds.

Yes, if you're very technical you can view the page's source (Blazer allows this, right?) and "run the JavaScript in your head" to figure out the URL it would generate, then manually type that in. For a heavy JavaScript site like homedepot.com, however, this would be quite a pain.
    Thanks for the info... Looks like I won't be doing much shopping at Home Depot any more
    Xiino supports Javascript to a degree. It actually might be a better browser than Blazer, but I haven't had enough of a chance to really compare them fully yet. You can download a 30 day trial of it off of http://www.handango.com/palm at least. Just do a search for "xiino".
    Originally posted by Dibrom:
    Xiino supports Javascript to a degree. It actually might be a better browser than Blazer, but I haven't had enough of a chance to really compare them fully yet. You can download a 30 day trial of it off of http://www.handango.com/palm at least. Just do a search for "xiino".
    Here's the direct URL.

Xiino is the successor to Palmscape, which was the best Palm OS browser of its time, and was the first one to use a special proxy to mangle the HTML and make it handheld-friendly.
    To date on my Treo 300 I have tried Blazer, Xiiom and Eudora to try and access my company's web based email facility. None of them could negotiate the javascript.

Must be hard I guess to develop one that can fit in a PDA as it seems such an obvious need.

I do not need my mail pushed to me from work, but being able to view it on a PDA was a major reason for the Treo purchase. I think I will have to try out the Sprint PCS Business connect offering.
    oops I meant Xiino
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Peabody
    To date on my Treo 300 I have tried Blazer, Xiiom and Eudora to try and access my company's web based email facility. None of them could negotiate the javascript.

Must be hard I guess to develop one that can fit in a PDA as it seems such an obvious need.

I do not need my mail pushed to me from work, but being able to view it on a PDA was a major reason for the Treo purchase. I think I will have to try out the Sprint PCS Business connect offering.
    Besides not being able to access your work E-mail, which browser seems to perform better overall for you? Do you get any better throughput depending on which browser you use?