1.    #1  
    Just received my Treo300 and am "on the fence" as to whether or not I should embark upon a journey to have it activated. From many of the nightmares posted here, seems like Sprint simply doesn't have their act together yet with 3G. I would be most interested -- as would others -- to see responses with "do's and dont's" for going about getting the Treo300 up-and-running.
    Originally posted by fgkay
    Just received my Treo300 and am "on the fence" as to whether or not I should embark upon a journey to have it activated. From many of the nightmares posted here, seems like Sprint simply doesn't have their act together yet with 3G. I would be most interested -- as would others -- to see responses with "do's and dont's" for going about getting the Treo300 up-and-running.
    My experience is that as of today, and starting last night the hold times at sprint have dramatically gone down. I have talked to 4 different reps since yesterday evening and they all seem to know what they are talking about now. It seems to me, in my own personal experiences, that the "breaking in period" is over and now Sprint might actually be on top of things. I would actually be fairly impressed if this was the case, for them to have this much of a dramatic turn around in a little under 2 days time.

I would say activate. I think they are good to go now.
  3.    #3  
    I think I just got the answer to my own post ... went to the Sprint PCS store in Columbia, MD and checked-out their 300 on display. Noticed it was running the web painfully slow and asked if this was normal. 3 different reps and an assistant mgr. all tried to convince me that this was "real 3G speed". I took out my Sanyo 6200 and ran a side-by-side test (connecting to CNN's news category), and the 6200 won by a landslide! The Sprint folks didn't seem to think this was out of the ordinary!!??!!

My sincere hope was that I would have found a finely-tuned 300 at the store with some knowledgable people who could help me get mine up-and-running. It's now obvious to me that it may be some weeks before Sprint has their act together on this 3G stuff. My 300 is staying un-opened in its factory box and will go back in T-minus 12 days (and counting) unless something dramatic changes w/3G before then.
    I think I just got the answer to my own post ... went to the Sprint PCS store in Columbia, MD and checked-out their 300 on display. Noticed it was running the web painfully slow and asked if this was normal. 3 different reps and an assistant mgr. all tried to convince me that this was "real 3G speed". I took out my Sanyo 6200 and ran a side-by-side test (connecting to CNN's news category), and the 6200 won by a landslide! The Sprint folks didn't seem to think this was out of the ordinary!!??!!

My sincere hope was that I would have found a finely-tuned 300 at the store with some knowledgable people who could help me get mine up-and-running. It's now obvious to me that it may be some weeks before Sprint has their act together on this 3G stuff. My 300 is staying un-opened in its factory box and will go back in T-minus 12 days (and counting) unless something dramatic changes w/3G before then.
    Well, I wouldn't expect the store reps to know much. Most of the SPCS people I See in the local sprint store look like crack addicts around these parts. Literally.
    I had hoped that too, and I still have my Treo 270 that I could activate with Cingular but ........... IMHO anybody who buys a PDA phone should be ready for at least a little adventure, and I did alot of *****ing and moaning watching these posts since last Thursday.

Here's what I have now. A Treo 300 with a username and password of my choice, $4/mo phone protection with a 35 dollar deductable on a 500 dollar phone, voice command dialing which was easily set up via the web, my Outlook based email visible two different ways on the Treo and or over the web, pretty clear voice coverage (I was on hold with customer service through my entire 40 minute commute last night !) and good, but not great Web access speed.

I have data free for 3 months, and pay $79/mo thereafter with 350 anytime minutes and 20 megs of data. I can cut down the data to save on monthly charges. I can bail out of the whole deal in about a week but so far I guess I would have to say it's an improvement over the alternatives for my use.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    My first thread so bear with me. I picked up my 300 yesterday from a sprint store after sitting on the fence with my kyocera 6035. Despite all the other issues with sprint, I purchased and activated based on simple return on investment analysis: I was under a $199 per mo anytime minutes plan (I am self employed and burn up minutes in my car) and went with the promotional 2500 minutes for $119 per mo with 8 mg. I figure if I can keep my minutes on mark, the plan switch should pay for the 300 in about 6 months...at which point handspring will probably do a 300+ edition.

As far as the 300 goes, I love the keyboard, color, size, weight & overall build quality. However, they headset plug is too close to the jog button on the side; 3G looks to be a joke so far; and the battery light is significantly less than the 6035...I am now using my car battery adaptor as a routine matter. Despite posts to the contrary, the 300 does not fit the 270 belt holster. Be careful of third-party software like "1button+" because they may cause the 300 backlight to stay on even when the flip is closed.

Is the 300 worth $500? It certainly is if you can offset some of the cost by switching to one of their promotional deals.
    As the owner of a Treo 270 and 300, as well as a belt clip holster ordered for the 270, I feel uniquely qualified to tell Rellim he's wrong regarding the belt clip. I'll send pictures if I have to. It fits, and it's sitting in the hoster right now. It's a slightly tighter fit than the 270, and at first I didn't think it fit but the plastic is very springy. People with 270's complained that they were falling out. Who are you going to satisfy ?

I'll try to contribute some valuable information: The 270/300 holster is really weak around the pount where the belt clip attaches to the steel pin, and has nothing to do with the fit of the Treo. It broke while my 270 was in it, and it was the first day I used it.

The "easy" fix is to get a "generic clip" and epoxy the button to what's left of the handspring belt clip after you file the broken tabs off. If yours hasn't broke, you're not active enough !
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I'll try again to get the 300 to fit the holster. For what it's worth, this is the email msg I got from PDAPros where I purchased the holster as part of their software/hardware bundle:

"Our Treo Holster will only fit the Treo 180/270 as those were the only communicators available when your order was placed. The holster for the 300 will not be ready for another few weeks. The tooling is in the final stages."

Is this the same holster you're talking about?
    It was a treo 270 holster. The 300 is a bit thicker at the bottom but not so much that it won't slip in with relative ease. You can always get some vasilene or KY jelly