View Poll Results: Username, green arrows,

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I\\\'m can access the web and I have my username in the phone app

3 25.00%
  • I can access the web, and have green arrows but don\\\'t have my username in the phone app

9 75.00%
  • I can access the web, but have no green arrows but don\\\'t have my username in the phone app

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    IF you're provisioned for data, do you have a username in your phone app?
    Originally posted by work_permit
    IF you're provisioned for data, do you have a username in your phone app?
    Got to a very high level tech for 3g inside of sprint this am on the phone. Official word is that if you are accessing data, AT ALL , on the treo 300 then you *are* on the 3g network and your data is 3g. This phone is physically not capable of receiving data any other way than on the 3g network.

So, if you are able to browse the web on this phone, rest assured that all of your data is coming in at 3g.
    ....yeh but do you have a username displayed on your phone?

My new instructions from Sprint are to wait up to 24 hours to be "reprovisioned". I am not to use the phone until I see my username appear on my screen. I'd like to know if others have the username displayed - since I'm waiting for that to happen.

The reasoning from my Sprint tech is that attempts to access data before you are provisioned can disrupt the provisioning process - and you have to call to get reprovisioned.
    I can connect and do not see my user name on the phone.... I starting to think this was false rumor passed around.
    Roger
    My user name is in the Network Preferences but not anywhere in the Phone App that I can see. I am just happy I can FINALLY use the data side.
    Personally, I want the time, not my name. I think the confusion is that the user name should appear in the web app, and does appear in network preferences for those of you familiar with setting up Palm devices. I guesss we all have to decide how many opinions make a fact. Polls like this are good since there are facts presented presnted by actual observers rather than opinions of how it should be.

Sunday, Josh at Sprint told me that by nature all Treo calls are 3G and I posted as such at that time. My opinion since last Thursday is that their 3G is live and Sprint response to poor performance is to say the network isn't up yet. That's my opinion.

As much as I hate to think a capacity problem would be unlikely with so few customers, my opinion is that they are using capacity from other data dervices to carry the calls and aren't sure hom much to allocate until that have stable usage patterns to observe. By giving away free data for the first 3 months they should get a pretty good idea of how to size (oversize ?) their network.
    So.... your 3G services work without your username on the phone app?

Meanwhile, many of us have been told that attempting to use data before the name appears will cause even more delays.

Is there any other way to determine if the phone is provisioned / other than attempting to connect? What does you Prefs->Network screen show?
    Originally posted by RLewis
    I can connect and do not see my user name on the phone.... I starting to think this was false rumor passed around.
    I'm pretty sure what they mean by username or banner applies ONLY to a regular phone not the Treo 300. I was talking with support and she kept asking me if I saw my username and I finally kept asking where I would see it until she basically admitted that she didn't believe it would show on a Treo, only on a regular cell phone screen.

This makes alot of sense to me because they ask if I have change my name - something you can do on a regular cell phone.
    I waited 24 hours for my username to appear. Then I called Sprint back. Was told that I'm already provisioned. I tried Blazer, went thru the screens to init the network connection and got connected.

Note: There doesn't seem to be any way to determine whether or not you are provisioned. No username in the phone app. No grey arrows over the signal meter. No change to the Network Prefs.

It is after you init the network by starting Blazer that the arrows appear and the Network Prefs screen shows your username.

[I suspect the username in the Network Prefs accounts for the two people who responded to the poll that their username was displayed]

If you are waiting for provisioning. You've got to make a choice about whether you've waited long enough (I waited 24 hours as instructed) ... and then either call sprint to see if you're provisioned or take a risk and try starting Blazer.