1.    #1  
    As someone who wants a 300, I've been trying to keep up with all the activity in here lately. Besides the "provisioning" problems everyone seems to be having, I see a lot about the speed issues.

After reading Sprint's press release, I wonder what it is you're all looking for. According to Sprint, "the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network will provide peak speeds of up to 144 kbps with average user speeds of 50 - 70 kbps". This tells me that 144 kbps is going to be the exception and not the rule. Are those of you complaining about "slow" data rates getting anywhere near the 50 -70 kbps or is it even slower than that?

Maybe I'll wait another month or so before taking the plunge...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Much, much slower....
    Roger
    Originally posted by RLewis
    Much, much slower....
    Man, I would do cartwheels if I could even get 30kbps. It's SLOW... I am averaging about 700 bps to 1 kbps.
    I am averaging about 700 bps to 1 kbps.
    I think you are averaging 1 k BYTE per second. They're talking 50-70 k bits per second
    I must have gotten extremely lucky based on the posts that I am seeing on here about speed.

I am just south of Nashville and I am getting speeds up to 40kbps. While this is still short of the 50-70 promised, it seems really fast to me. I do notice though that it does seem bursty. I would assume this is similar to surfing on a dial-up landline where the page seems to load quicker and then hang for a second.

I initially thought the data piece was simply going to be gravy on top of a sleek looking device that would house my phone/pda/pager, but if I continue to get this type of performance(knock on wood), I can see this being a real benefit.
    shaun... what does it feel like to be the 1 in million winner?
    Roger
    Originally posted by RLewis
    shaun... what does it feel like to be the 1 in million winner?
    Speaking of bursty, it wouldn't be surprising if Sprint and handspring worked so that data like graphics which can be heavily compressed came through compressed but the Treo displays the uncompressed bytes as they come in. In other words, graphics really run up the counter as the come in. My theory is supported by the fact that when I put it in true color mode, the numbers go up faster. If you understand data compression this will make sense. Sort of like sending compressed air through a small pipe and then charging us for the full balloon after it's inflated.
    Originally posted by work_permit

I think you are averaging 1 k BYTE per second. They're talking 50-70 k bits per second
    Correct, I'm getting 1 kBYTE per second. So I should expect, by Sprints estimates, to be going about 5-7x faster or 5 to 7 k BYTES per second.

Sometimes I see bursts that high (or higher) but for the most part I am averaging 1 k BYTE per second.
    See my post to this forum entitled "3G Speeds - Detailed review and save $$"

I spoke with a high level sprint 3g tech for about 30 minutes and got some interesting answers to all of this.