Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Doctor C must be 12, but it seems like everyone is out of control about Sprint's rollout ... technology NEVER works the way it is supposed to when it is first introduced (remember Windows 95?). As a long time Sprint Customer, I can tell you their suctomer service reps NEVER had a clue, so it is no suprise they are clueless now.

The mantra of new technology has always been never buy version 1.0. That so many early adpoters are surprised that they aren't getting the service they were promised by a large telecommunucations company is the ONLY thing that surprises me ... that a telecom or computer company overpromisssed and underdelivered? SSDD, SNAFU (anyone over the age of 30 knows what those mean)
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Doctor C must be 12, but it seems like everyone is out of control about Sprint's rollout ... technology NEVER works the way it is supposed to when it is first introduced (remember Windows 95?). As a long time Sprint Customer, I can tell you their suctomer service reps NEVER had a clue, so it is no suprise they are clueless now.

The mantra of new technology has always been never buy version 1.0. That so many early adpoters are surprised that they aren't getting the service they were promised by a large telecommunucations company is the ONLY thing that surprises me ... that a telecom or computer company overpromisssed and underdelivered? SSDD, SNAFU (anyone over the age of 30 knows what those mean)
    I only wish I were 12. What a great toy to have as a kid
    FYI, I've been a Sprint PCS customer for going on 6 years now. You'll see in some of my other posts where I acknowledge that every rollout that Sprint has done has not gone smoothly (e.g. the first "Wireless Web"), and that I didn't expect it to go smoothly. None the less, for the money we pay we have a right to expect it to go smoothly, even though you're right -- we should know better -- it most likely will not.

As for buying version 1.0 of stuff -- I'm a toy collector. I like gadgets. I always have to have the newest and greatest. I've experienced the phenomenon that you are referencing more times than you can possibly imagine. I probably depreciate more in technology costs per year than you'd care to know. I'm always buying the latest and greatest computer parts, gadgets, etc and then dumping them on Ebay the second something better comes out (hey, stay tuned for the auction of my Treo 300 when something better comes along). So, I know and understand that version 1.0 of things never usually goes according to plan. That does not change the fact that as customers we deserve what a company promises, and that does not change the fact that we have the right to complain when things do not go as promised / expected. Complacency never leads to improvement.

I also agree that SPCS reps have never had a clue -- no surprise here. I've actually been somewhat surprised that this whole thing was not more of a catastrophe than it is. Overall, I'd say it's going as I would have expected based on past experience with Sprint, maybe even a little better. But, it's not going as I would have expected based on Sprints claims (moral of the story, don't believe the hype right?).

If you are asserting that we should simply accept that 3g is currently 'broken' because 'that's how things always are' then I have to disagree. I do agree with you in on the point that it's always been this way in the past, but I don't agree that we should have to accept it.
    Kudos doctorc. Personally, I would not have responded to such a rude post.

We have to get information from each other because Sprint isn't telling us anything. I appreciate everyone here for sharing what they know. I am relieved to learn that others are in the same predicament. Those who haven't found this site must be in very sorry shape.
    That's what burns me....Sprint will not say what is wrong....I guess to avoid public humiliation on the net and the news by major reporters. If they told what was wrong and when it really is going to be fixed, I'd be happy enough to wait. The way it is, who knows? If I call, maybe they can fix it...if I wait nothing happens.....
    if a company sells you a $500 phone, and charges you big $$ to use it, it better work...... we are NOT BETA TESTERS, we are not receiving any discounts for being the first ones, we are PAYING customers....

I don't care if its brand new technology..... if it's not ready, don't sell it! the cluelessness of sprint reps its unacceptable.....

I can't begin to list all the different excuses, things to try, and other explanations I've gotten, some of them seem like they are based on scientology!
    DoctorC -- I agree with the other reply that was sent, I wouldn't have sent such a nice response to a rude post. Thanks for all of the info you've been posting -- I think this is kind of a hobby for us all, and it's nice to have people that will share information.
    Originally posted by racerX328
    DoctorC -- I agree with the other reply that was sent, I wouldn't have sent such a nice response to a rude post. Thanks for all of the info you've been posting -- I think this is kind of a hobby for us all, and it's nice to have people that will share information.
    No problem. All I want to do is for us to keep sharing information, as you all have correctly posted, Sprint isn't saying much and what they are saying doesn't make a lot of sense or even agree most of the time. So, with this forum maybe between the hundreds of us here we can all figure it out together.
    I would be a lot more upset if it weren't for all the info I'm getting here. I just wish sprint called this a nationwide beta test, and provided support on a forum like this.
    technology NEVER works the way it is supposed to when it is first introduced (remember Windows 95?
    It worked for me. Waited long time outside egghead software, got in, bought my copy, got home, installed it, and was happy. Much improvement over Windows 3.1 (no more permanent swap file corruption)
    The mantra of new technology has always been never buy version 1.0. That so many early adpoters are surprised that they aren't getting the service they were promised by a large telecommunucations company is the ONLY thing that surprises me ... that a telecom or computer company overpromisssed and underdelivered?
    Except the "address book not syncing" bug, everything worked on my kyocera6035 out of the box. I was a happy camper from the get-go till my nephew one upped me by purchasing the samsung color smartphone.

If I spend $500 on something I better get satisfaction or back it goes.
    David
    Isn't this why they're providing 3 months free data??? No one expects a nationwide rollout like this to be perfect...
    Originally posted by ijablokov
    Isn't this why they're providing 3 months free data??? No one expects a nationwide rollout like this to be perfect...
    This also is my view. I've got a 300 with Sprint and like it. And I had a 270 with Cingular and didn't like that (coverage was not so great).

Sprint is not yet as fast as they say it will be, but for my needs it's not bad at all right now. Blazer works well for me, and Aileron's delivering my emails promptly. And I really like having my phone, PDA and Internet in my pocket.

Unlimited data, free, for three months? Works for me.

Kami
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I am sorry if my post was viewed as rude ... I prefer to think of it as exasperated with the foolishness this community has shown so far. To think that ANY technology rollout lives up to expectations from day one is naive and childish. The REASON the "never buy version 1.0 mantra makes sense is that ALL betas are limited in the number of participants. As a result, not all bugs are found, and systems crash when they are tested by the masses.

The "if I pay $500, it had better work" approach is fine if you have an alternative. In this case, you don't, other than revert back to 2g, which clearly isn't anyone's first choice. It was also a much more reasonable approach in 1990 than in 2002, when we have seen all to many other rollouts not go as planned.

Sorry if you all took it as rude. I meant it as a statement of the obvious.
    I thought the post was rude too. Even if it is often true that 1.0 release is buggy, the majority of features should work and rollout should have been tested more thoroughly. When you pay $500 for a phone that doesn't do any more than a free phone, you are being ripped off. This is why Sprint is offering the data portion free for 3 months....you can't get a refund or credit for something that is free, even if the $500 phone is a waste of money until they fix the data part.

Problems seem to be for people who did the phone (ESN) switch, instead of getting a new account. The data ESNs did not make it to the "AAA" server which is doing the provisioning according to the supervisor I spoke with last night. Many Sprint reps are using older software to activate the phones and set up the accounts, which are not set up to get the provisioning done correctly. This was my problem....I remember the lady telling me she was "cheating" and using the old system, because it was easier...meaning she had not been trained on the new system.
    Originally posted by paz5559
    I am sorry if my post was viewed as rude ... I prefer to think of it as exasperated with the foolishness this community has shown so far. To think that ANY technology rollout lives up to expectations from day one is naive and childish. The REASON the "never buy version 1.0 mantra makes sense is that ALL betas are limited in the number of participants. As a result, not all bugs are found, and systems crash when they are tested by the masses.

The "if I pay $500, it had better work" approach is fine if you have an alternative. In this case, you don't, other than revert back to 2g, which clearly isn't anyone's first choice. It was also a much more reasonable approach in 1990 than in 2002, when we have seen all to many other rollouts not go as planned.

Sorry if you all took it as rude. I meant it as a statement of the obvious.
    No offense taken man. The reason we are all here is to share information and share opinions. The internet is great. Use it, love it.

This forum also is great, and I hope that we can all continue to use it to share information and actually begin to understand / improve our collective 3g / Treo 300 experience.