Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read all the messages and I would like to know what is the bottom line difference between the 270 and the 300 besides carriers. I have a 270 on order from amazon...should I cancel it and get the 300?

Does the 300 work with a MAC? I have a g3/power book running OS X.

Thanks, all constructive comments welcome...

Ideawizard
    See http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25410

There is no USB driver (yet) available for the Mac, however serial syncing sounds like it is a reasonable workaround (although I haven't tried it myself yet).
    First: Fikse (or anybody), have you been able to continually synch your T300 with your Mac through the serial to cable to USB adaptor method?

Second, can you help me understand why it is necessary to go from a serial cable though an adaptor to USB? On the handsping site they sell a USB cable
    http://www.handspring.com/products/C...html?ID=220006

Why would a serial cable through a USB adaptor work but a straight USB cable won't?

Sorry to push the issue but I would like to feel a bit more confident in the T300/Mac compatibility issure before I invest $500-600 in phone, cable etc.
    Clearly others here are in the same boat I am!
    THANKS
    it works every time, syncing as I described......

the reason you have to use the serial adapter is because there is no mac usb driver for the Treo.....

most, if not all usb devices require a driver for each operating system it will run on... no mac driver? no mac usb syncing....

if your using the serial cable, you don't need a driver, because its just a serial connection.... you just need a db9 serial port, which no currently shipping mac has..... SO, you then need a USB to DB9 serial adapter..... I am using the keyspan high speed serial adapter...
    Originally posted by Fikse
    it works every time, syncing as I described......

the reason you have to use the serial adapter is because there is no mac usb driver for the Treo.....

most, if not all usb devices require a driver for each operating system it will run on... no mac driver? no mac usb syncing....

if your using the serial cable, you don't need a driver, because its just a serial connection.... you just need a db9 serial port, which no currently shipping mac has..... SO, you then need a USB to DB9 serial adapter..... I am using the keyspan high speed serial adapter...
    Fikse can I just say you are my personal hero for figuring out this solution for us?? Good work man, you kick ***!
    Fikse,

If you wouldn't mind letting me know, how much does that adapter cost....and where can I get it for a good price if I decided too?

A link would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks a ton!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    here's what I'm using:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...329293&loc=101

I bought mine on ebay for $18...
    Originally posted by Fikse
    here's what I'm using:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...329293&loc=101

I bought mine on ebay for $18...
    Also check Besy Buy for ...

Gary
    Thanks!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Mark/Space Softworks has a product called Missing Sync for OS X to sync Palm devices -- I asked them about supporting Treo; here's the reply:

"Its in the process of being put together, watch our site in the next
    week or so for details."

Good news! Check it out at

Mark/Space Softworks

D
    After submitting a request to Handspring to get Treo 300 to sync on a Mac, here is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting Handspring.

At this time, Treo 300 does not have support for Macintosh users. However,
    Handspring may add support for this in the future. SprintPCS does not
    support Macintosh synch, as a general rule for Palm OS phones. The only
    item preventing synch, is availability of the relevant desktop software. We
    apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause you.

Regards,
    Katie
    Handspring Sales"

So hope, pray and maybe Handspring or Markspace will come through for us. It really does seem like it's "just" a USB driver that's standing between success and failure in the Mac community.
    Mac folks,

Let's keep at them with the emails. There has to be a solution to USB synching to Palm 4 Mac OS X! If I have to I'll go the serial port route, but sure hate to pay for 2 more things!

Sprint really works well for me and I needed a new phone. My Visor Deluxe has worked well and synchs in Palm 4 for OS X. I knew all the previous Treos worked with Macs, so I thought the 300 would too. Oh well. I've been drooling over a Sprint version for a while now and when I ordered it Sunday I thought it would work on the Mac since the previous models did. I mean, why wouldn't it? I'll be patient while a solution is worked out.

The Treo arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed with it. I transferred my current free and clear plan and phone number to it. There was no charge to do so. In a few weeks I'll switch to a F&C plan with Vision. By then the 3g features should be running smoother.

Keep up the noise for a MAC USB synch solution!!!

Thanks,
    Bo
    Has anyone here tried Hotsyncing their Treo 300 to their Mac by just dialing into the home modem?

I have been playing with getting this working tonight, but no success. I can connect, and it starts searching for users, but then I get an error on my desktop that says "Disconnecting, this should take about 2 minutes" and on my Treo it says "Hotsync operation was interrupted. Some of your data was NOT backed up."

I don't know if it's the phone lines here or what. I don't think it's my wireless connection causing the problem.

-Millard
    San Francisco
    http://www.sirmillardmulch.com
    There is a new thread that talks about successful IR hotsynchs with the 300 and Ti Book and OS X.

I sent this to Mark/Space re a Missing Synch solution for the 300:

>Help!
    >
    >There are many of us with Treo 300s (Sprint PCS phone/PDA from Handspring)
    >but cannot USB Synch to the Mac OS X (or 9 for that matter). One guy can
    >synch to OS X but is using the optional serial cable for the 300 and a
    >keyspan serial to USB adapter.
    >
    >Can you guys figure out what is needed to USB synch for OS X? There are a
    >lot of us out there willing to pay for a solution!

Answer:
    We're looking into it, we just got a 300 today...they werent easy to find!

Watch the site for details.
    Now I can sync flawlessly. FIrst time, everytime. Thanks, Fikse!!
    Anyone know if the serial solution is possible with OS 9? Some of us are still in the stone age...
    GreenAcres, the same solution listed above works fine in OS9....
    Setup: PB G400, OS X

I am having serious problems using IR as a hotsync solution. The Treo always connects but 98% of the time the sync fails. The PB continues on like nothing is wrong, but the Treo beeps out the 'sync complete' and then shows a screen wtih 'waiting for response'.

I have tried different positioning with to no avail. I guess I will flip over to OS 9 to see what happens there.
    Fikse, thanks for the reply. You're a savior. One other question for you (or others who may know)...

The Treo 300 comes with a Windows Palm Desktop 4.0.1 CD. I've been using the Mac Palm Desktop 2.6.1 and Missing Sync (Mark Space rocks) to sync a Clie with Entourage. To get the Treo to work with the serial cable, do I also need the updated Palm Desktop for Mac 4.0?

Grateful for any feedback...
    intractv, I had the same problem.... I could not get an IR hotsync to complete with my titanium and the treo 300, it would always choke when it got to a larger .prc file.... this was in Mac OS9 and X
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast