1.    #1  
    I have read all the messages and I would like to know what is the bottom line difference between the 270 and the 300 besides carriers. I have a 270 on order from amazon...should I cancel it and get the 300?

True or False?

300 will not work with Mac (VERY IMPORTANT)
    300 has better screen
    300 sprint plans cost more ($70 to 80 month)
    300 data should be faster (is it?)
    300 sprint plans are 2 years
    300 battery shorter
    300 some dif funtions on buttons
    300 thicker

270 no GPRS till oct.
    voicestream cheaper plans
    ($55 month for 600 nationwide min /nights and week/)
    battery slightly better
    OTHER?

WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO THIS LIST?
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Thanks, all constructive comments welcome...

Ideawizard
    Originally posted by ideawizard
    I have read all the messages and I would like to know what is the bottom line difference between the 270 and the 300 besides carriers. I have a 270 on order from amazon...should I cancel it and get the 300?

True or False?

>> not sure on this

300 has better screen
    >> doubt it, but still not quite sure. I think that the 300 and 270's probably use same screen.

300 sprint plans cost more ($70 to 80 month)
    >>my biggest complaint. Sprint plans are expensive.

300 data should be faster (is it?)
    >>Heh, well it SHOULD be faster (eventually?) but as of today (Monday) it is still suffering a bit.

300 sprint plans are 2 years
    >>I believe you can get them for 1 year if you want, or go month to month but you'll have to pay $10 more per month if you do that.

300 battery shorter
    >>Not sure why it would be unless this is a big difference between GSM vs CDMA.

300 some dif funtions on buttons
    300 thicker
    >>Depends on whose specs you believe, Sprint or Handspring. Either way they are so close in size (Fractions of centimeters) that this should be relatively unimportant. For what it is worth the Treo 300 will fit in the Treo 270 case designed by casetechworks, so this says to me that they are pretty darn close in size.

270 no GPRS till oct.
    voicestream cheaper plans
    ($55 month for 600 nationwide min /nights and week/)
    >> $55 vs. ~ 60-ish for some of the cheaper Sprint PCS plans. Also keep in mind that as of yet Voice Stream requires that you have your own separate dial up ISP (and the ISP must give you a dial up number). Sprint IS your ISP (heh, good and bad I guess) so this saves you having to have your own dial up ISP. Eventually voice stream might (Will?) be your own ISP and eliminate the requirement for having a separate ISP??

battery slightly better
    OTHER?
    >>Coverage on CDMA networks tends to be better than GSM in the United States. Otoh if you travel overseas GSM may be the way to go for you.

WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO THIS LIST?
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
    >> Personally I'd go with Sprint still. They are ahead of everyone else although at this point its like the blind leading the blind. I have a feeling that if anyone gets it right before too long it will be Sprint first. They are experiencing their own growing pains with this 3g crap, and they had it in the past with wireless web, but in terms of cutting edge technology and 'eventually getting it right' I have faith that Sprint will pull it off and we'll have the 3g network we were promised. Right now, it sort of sucks, but it will eventually be cool.

Thanks, all constructive comments welcome...

Ideawizard
    I was in CompUSA this weekend and had an opportunity to evaluate the 270 & the 300 side-by-side. They are very close to identical in size. One strange thing... The 300 appeared to have a "crisper" and more vivid display. I wonder if it is because all of the display issues the 270 had?
    Roger
    True or False?

>> not sure on this

I am sure that it ISN'T supported (yet) on the Mac. The Handspring Treo 300 FAQ on the Handspring web site says so. However, I believe this is due to the simple lack of a USB driver for the Mac OS. There is a serial sync workaround described in this thread if you're interested:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25410

If this works, you're in business. I'm betting the farm that it will on my Mac anyway.
    Last edited by rmayii; 08/12/2002 at 11:13 AM.
    Perhaps it is less about the phones and more about the networks. I think your decision is based on the answer to three simple questions. Assume that Treo 300 will be twice as fast for an extra $30 a month of fees? Which do you prefer, the extra $30 savings or the extra speed. Second, what is the reception like between gsm or Sprint networks in your area? Third, how much data traffic are you likely to do.

My guess is that if the extra $30 a month is a big deal for your budget, the Treo 300 will probably provide the more rewarding experience because the network will be faster. Are you a more interested in a terrifc wireless experience at a fair price or a good phone experience at a terrific price? Focusing on the relative advantages of the networks imo makes more sense then comparing the technical advantages of the two phones.
    -300 will not work with Mac (VERY IMPORTANT)
    Handspring has declared that the Treo 300 is not USB mac compatible. There might be workarounds for this.

-300 has better screen
    Treo 300 uses the rev. 2 display, that jsut got integrated in teh 270 manufactoring process. Most 270's on the market are the rev 1 dispaly, thus they are not as nice. New 270's will be rev 2 though.

-300 data should be faster (is it?)
    The Sprint device has better integration, and perhaps better algorithsm. I have heard that CDMA data is goign to be faster than GRPS

-300 battery shorter
    Yes, by about 30 mintues

-300 thicker
    No, the 270, 180 and the 300 are all .82 inches thick.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  7. AT8
    By the way, according to Handspring.com, the Treo 300 can't send SMS by its own. It can only receive.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    Assume that Treo 300 will be twice as fast for an extra $30 a month of fees? Which do you prefer, the extra $30 savings or the extra speed
    Here's another view on the cost issue. A 300 on Sprint with 350 anytime minutes, 2 MB of data, and no charge for landline access to voicemail costs about the same per month as a 270 on Cingular with 500 anytime minutes and an extra charge for landline access to voice mail.

If you are pulling data during peak times, and are not going over 2 MB (which is plausible if you are doing maybe 20 emails per day on business days and not websurfing), then the Sprint plan is faster and arguably better. What Cingular gives you is essentially unlimited web use during nights and weekends (counts against your minutes; no extra charge for data). This may change when you use Cingular's Express Internet or whatever they call it (after GPRS can be used on your 270).

I had the 270 with Cingular and went to the 300 with Sprint, in part because of better coverage in my area.
    Kami
    Small thing, but i didnt see it mentioned above...

from my understanding the 300 has a better (or more capable) speaker that supports polyphonic ringtones and sound, while the 270 has a standard, one note at a time ringtone/sound capability...is this correct??