Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Ok, just went outside to the parking lot and did a little test. Here are the results which I also posted to another thread here.

    Things appear to be getting faster. As of 11:am EST I went outside and did a little speed test. Went to handspring.com and loaded their page for the Treo 300

    It took about 90 seconds to download about 160k bytes. This is about 1.7k per second, still nowhere hear the ~ 5 to ~ 7k per second we are suppposed to be getting.

    But what is interesting about this is that the data seemed to come in more frequent "bursts" than it had in the past, and those bursts were quite dramatic. For example, Blazer would not be loading anything at all for 5-7 seconds and then all of a sudden load up like 20k in 3 seconds. The 'loading' indicator where it increments the amount of Kbytes you are loading would go from a standstil to incrementing very rapidly. If we could see this kind of 'burst' behavior level out a bit and produce more consistent results I think we would be seeing the type of 3g speed we are expecting.

    My question is this -- do you think the long delay between bursts is because all Blazer data goes through a web proxy server first?

    Are there other web browsers out there that access the web directly without going through some sort of proxy server? If so, maybe they would be faster?

    Also, signal strength seems that it may play into this? When I was on the back side of the building with only 1 strength bar my throughput was very sporadic. As I moved to the front of the building it seemed like there was less delay in the amount of time between pauses where the big data spikes would come in.

    I am further wondering if the reason why I do not see good 3g throughput at home is because I live in an 'outlying area' where sprint says there is 'limited coverage' -- I have 4 bars at all times inside my house and have never had a dropped call at home -- so that would lead you to believe that I *should* be able to receive the full benefit of 3g in this area.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but the advantage of PCS Vision is NATIONWIDE 3g service right? So technically anywhere on the Sprint PCS network as long as I can receive a signal I should have 3g data service right?

    Thanks for your help.
  2. #2  
    Chances are the bursts (and I commented on them last night also) are not caused by a proxy server. In fact I'm not sure thay are using a proxy server since blazers proxy settings aren't filled in.

    Packet data is bursty. Maybe sprint is using it's ATM network to switch the data which breaks data into 53 byte wrappers and then reassembles it at the distant end. There's no gaurentee that one piece of data that downloads takes the same path as the next. One series of bytes could go via Atlants, another through Chicago. It's all based on there the routers see idle capacity.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    Chances are the bursts (and I commented on them last night also) are not caused by a proxy server. In fact I'm not sure thay are using a proxy server since blazers proxy settings aren't filled in.

    Packet data is bursty. Maybe sprint is using it's ATM network to switch the data which breaks data into 53 byte wrappers and then reassembles it at the distant end. There's no gaurentee that one piece of data that downloads takes the same path as the next. One series of bytes could go via Atlants, another through Chicago. It's all based on there the routers see idle capacity.
    Well, at any rate, I hope this will improve because right now this seems to be the major bottlneck to throughput. When the data is flowing it flows fast (I am now impressed) but the issue is, the data does not flow very often. Big bursts of data are followed by 5, 10, 15 second sometimes pauses. If it weren't for these pauses I believe we'd be seeing on the order of 6k bytes per second, which would be very acceptable.

    In theory, Sprint is not lying when it says that you're getting data throughput at 50-70 kbytes per second... if they are basing this on "when the data is actually being transmitted from the server" and not "average throughput"

    I'm pretty sure I'm seeing > 50 k bytes per second -- WHEN there is data coming over the network. The problem is, that there are very long pauses in when the data is coming through. It's like trying to put out a fire with a firehose that somene keeps kinking... Someone please come and un-kink my hose!
  4. Jazzer's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #4  
    The question I would have. Is it the Blazer browser and the Palm OS that is causing this? Maybe it takes in a big chunk and then it takes Blazer a few seconds to parse the data and then it asks for more. I am sure it can only drink so much from the hose before it has to stop and render the page.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Jazzer
    The question I would have. Is it the Blazer browser and the Palm OS that is causing this? Maybe it takes in a big chunk and then it takes Blazer a few seconds to parse the data and then it asks for more. I am sure it can only drink so much from the hose before it has to stop and render the page.
    Hmm... interesting point. I have noticed that Blazer in and of itself is quite slow on the Palm OS sometimes.

    I'm going to try a different browser tonight. None the less, Sprint PCS *2 (and 3g tech support there) still reassure me that 3g has not gone live yet. No ETA.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    One series of bytes could go via Atlants, another through Chicago.
    Via Atlantis??? Yeah, that would introduce serious latency. Oh, you meant to type "Atlanta"...
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by doctorc


    Hmm... interesting point. I have noticed that Blazer in and of itself is quite slow on the Palm OS sometimes.

    I'm going to try a different browser tonight. None the less, Sprint PCS *2 (and 3g tech support there) still reassure me that 3g has not gone live yet. No ETA.
    DUMP BLAZER NOW! Blazer is not going to give you the results you are looking for, not at least this version. Blazer was developed for 9.6k in mind and it seriously "cleans" out unwanted code before it gets to your unit.

    I am shocked to see that HS is shipping Blazer for use on the 3G, shame shame shame HS.

    Hint - 3G Sprint is up, not even speeds everywhere but certainly you should be hitting some high data rates. That is all I can say without breaking confidenitality.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by thegman


    DUMP BLAZER NOW! Blazer is not going to give you the results you are looking for, not at least this version. Blazer was developed for 9.6k in mind and it seriously "cleans" out unwanted code before it gets to your unit.

    I am shocked to see that HS is shipping Blazer for use on the 3G, shame shame shame HS.

    Hint - 3G Sprint is up, not even speeds everywhere but certainly you should be hitting some high data rates. That is all I can say without breaking confidenitality.
    OK thanks. I have noticed that at some points I am getting some really good throughput. I'd say that maybe 10% of the time I am getting data throughput above 1k BYTE per second. The other 90% of the time I'm getting throughput around 1k BYTE per second.

    Also, what browser do you recommend? Last night, I was using Blazer and was noticing that in general the performance of Blazer massively sucks. Even if I had a page loaded into the cache (e.g. treocentral.com) and be on the discussion page, when I hit "back" to go back to the previously cached page it would take a good 15-20 seconds just to pull that page out of the cache. Not too impressive. I know there are limitations to the Palm (this isn't my 2.5 Ghz P4 desktop machine I realize) but I would expect that there are better performing browsers out there....

    suggestions anyone? (and links if yah got 'em).
  9.    #9  
    See my post entitled "3g Speed - Detailed Review and save $$"

    I have now confirmed with SPCS some of the things that have been floating around on this forum for the past couple of days.

    In short ... 3g IS active. If you receive any sort of data on your Treo 300 it is coming in at 3g speed. The treo 300 cannot physically receive data in any other format other than 3g. So by the very nature that you're getting data, you're getting 3g. Its slow due to growing pains at the moment. We can only hope these get resolved with time.
  10. #10  
    doctorc writes:
    If you receive any sort of data on your Treo 300 it is coming in at 3g speed. The treo 300 cannot physically receive data in any other format other than 3g.
    That's unfortunate. It'd be nice to be able to fall back on circuit-switched data when necessary. I believe GPRS devices can fall back to circuit switched data over GSM.

    I wonder if it really is a "physical" issue as you say, or just a software one.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    doctorc writes:
    That's unfortunate. It'd be nice to be able to fall back on circuit-switched data when necessary. I believe GPRS devices can fall back to circuit switched data over GSM.

    I wonder if it really is a "physical" issue as you say, or just a software one.
    True, I also wonder. The SPCS rep assured me that there was "no way" that the Treo 300 could be doing 2g data.

    As of 10pm EST last night and 8am EST this morning 3g is still a very slow crawl, I'd say even slower than it has been the past couple of days. Around 500 bytes to 1k Byte per second
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by doctorc:
    True, I also wonder. The SPCS rep assured me that there was "no way" that the Treo 300 could be doing 2g data.
    In the Alternative data access via dial-up thread, multiple people say they have circuit-switched data working, so either those people are deluded (doesn't sound like it), or the rep meant "there's no way unless you specifically set it up", or it was just another instance of a clueless rep.
  13. #13  
    I have a Treo 180. Blazer is not good at showing loading progress. Its display refresh completely stops while it performs some computations for rendering a whole chunk of data, so you don't know if, in the mean time, some data is being received by the network layer.

    I have found that the AvantGo browser is very good at showing you continuous progress in dowloading data, in addition to being a decent browser that can sometimes view sites that Blazer can't. I suggest that you Treo 300 folks give it a try and see what the real transfer rates are like and whether those perceived "bursts" are a fact of the PCS network or artifacts of Blazer.

    Good luck.
  14. #14  
    I've verified that blazer reports the "uncompressed" size of its image downloads. Try downloading an image (you can do a google advanced search for an image). the byte counter races...far faster than with a normal website.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by work_permit
    I've verified that blazer reports the "uncompressed" size of its image downloads. Try downloading an image (you can do a google advanced search for an image). the byte counter races...far faster than with a normal website.
    That's what I thought. Clever if we get charged for the uncompressed bytes when they only transmit the compressed bytes. I guess there's a markup on everything.

Posting Permissions