1.    #1  
    Is there anyone out there getting more than 1-2 kbps out there yet and knows they are 3G and data provisioned.

West coast here, birthday next week, Palm and Handspring user for years really want this toy - - but so far Sprint maybe has not "flipped the switch"really or what?

Sprint store here doesn't have anything but a demo yet, so I'm safe for now.
    Originally posted by dmw819
    Is there anyone out there getting more than 1-2 kbps out there yet and knows they are 3G and data provisioned.

West coast here, birthday next week, Palm and Handspring user for years really want this toy - - but so far Sprint maybe has not "flipped the switch"really or what?

Sprint store here doesn't have anything but a demo yet, so I'm safe for now.
    Heh, just posted a similar thread to yours. I've got the phone provisioned but still not sure about the speed of 3g. All I manage to get is about 1k byte per second. Not impressed. Hopefully sprint will "go live" today with 3g. I hope.
  3.    #3  
    thanks

ya don't think it can really be this slow do ya? The marketing of this is so hyped was out at best buy and circuit city just lookin' and they have a lot of marketing collateral behind all this - - seems like they really haven't thrown the switch/debugged it yet.
    Just can't be - - they've spent a fortune to roll this out -- must be growing pains. I hope.

Originally posted by dmw819
    thanks

ya don't think it can really be this slow do ya? The marketing of this is so hyped was out at best buy and circuit city just lookin' and they have a lot of marketing collateral behind all this - - seems like they really haven't thrown the switch/debugged it yet.
    Just can't be - - they've spent a fortune to roll this out -- must be growing pains. I hope.

I find it hard to believe that this is actually how fast 3g will truly be. If it is actually this slow, I'm going to take my account down from 8 megs to 2 megs, as it would take me a LONNNG time to use up 2 megs at these speeds (and quite frankly, I simply won't be browsing the web at these speeds at all, mainly would just do e-mail and that is about it).
    Originally posted by doctorc

I find it hard to believe that this is actually how fast 3g will truly be. If it is actually this slow, I'm going to take my account down from 8 megs to 2 megs, as it would take me a LONNNG time to use up 2 megs at these speeds (and quite frankly, I simply won't be browsing the web at these speeds at all, mainly would just do e-mail and that is about it).
    Things appear to be getting faster. As of 11:am EST I went outside and did a little speed test. Went to handspring.com and loaded their page for the Treo 300

It took about 90 seconds to download about 160k bytes. This is about 1.7k per second, still nowhere hear the ~ 5 to ~ 7k per second we are suppposed to be getting.

But what is interesting about this is that the data seemed to come in more frequent "bursts" than it had in the past, and those bursts were quite dramatic. For example, Blazer would not be loading anything at all for 5-7 seconds and then all of a sudden load up like 20k in 3 seconds. The 'loading' indicator where it increments the amount of Kbytes you are loading would go from a standstil to incrementing very rapidly. If we could see this kind of 'burst' behavior level out a bit and produce more consistent results I think we would be seeing the type of 3g speed we are expecting.

My question is this -- do you think the long delay between bursts is because all Blazer data goes through a web proxy server first?

Are there other web browsers out there that access the web directly without going through some sort of proxy server? If so, maybe they would be faster?

Also, signal strength seems that it may play into this? When I was on the back side of the building with only 1 strength bar my throughput was very sporadic. As I moved to the front of the building it seemed like there was less delay in the amount of time between pauses where the big data spikes would come in.

I am further wondering if the reason why I do not see good 3g throughput at home is because I live in an 'outlying area' where sprint says there is 'limited coverage' -- I have 4 bars at all times inside my house and have never had a dropped call at home -- so that would lead you to believe that I *should* be able to receive the full benefit of 3g in this area.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the advantage of PCS Vision is NATIONWIDE 3g service right? So technically anywhere on the Sprint PCS network as long as I can receive a signal I should have 3g data service right?

Thanks for your help.