1.    #1  
    I remember I had read some articles mentioning that GSM Treo (180/270) only got a mild success and Handspring are still running a tight budget.

Will treo 300 get a big success since CDMA dominates American mobile communication markets?

Furthermore, do you think Treo 300 are over priced or Sprint are charging too much for their 3G service? Would you like to replace your mobile phone and palm by single integrated one? and, would you think the treo may beat other pda or palm phone, say, cdma palm phone from samsung or kyocera?

Looking forward to sharing your opinions.
    Save, I don't know. But I purchased 100 shares of Handspring over the last few weeks thinking that it would at least go up sometime in the next 6 months. Not a big risk considering that it only cost me a little over $100. The only thing that pains me is that I don't think the company is very operationally sound. But, IMHO, the Treo concept is going to be a year old in the next month or so and I think that the current models are just the first of what's in store for us. My guess is something new by year's end.

Peace
    Originally posted by The Reptile
    Save, I don't know. But I purchased 100 shares of Handspring over the last few weeks thinking that it would at least go up sometime in the next 6 months. Not a big risk considering that it only cost me a little over $100. The only thing that pains me is that I don't think the company is very operationally sound. But, IMHO, the Treo concept is going to be a year old in the next month or so and I think that the current models are just the first of what's in store for us. My guess is something new by year's end.

Peace
    The only way I can see the Treo300 saving handspring is if they finally have the quality control issues worked out. The Treo 180's and 270's were plagued by a massive series of QC issues. The treo 300 still has one of those -- they stylus slot is too loose and eventually you're going to lose your stylus.

I don't have a lot of faith in Handspring, although I am a hypocrit I suppose because I've bought the 300 -- mainly because it is the best thing out at the moment, and I'll upgrade later if anything better comes along. In general, I think that Handsprings customer support and quality are suffering, but I guess you could say that about anyone else out there right now (dell anyone?). As for innovation, I give them an A+. There are very few things I could think of that would have made this device better (Tighter stylus slot, SD card expansion -- though that would have driven costs up a bit, and maybe a better screen -- again driving costs up). Also, reception is somewhat worse than most of the other phones I have owned, but still good enough to be of use.

Overall I am very satisfied with the features of this device. Whether I will be satisfied long term with the performance and reliablity remains to be seen.
    I believe investing in hand will be quite profitable for you.

In the cdma market, Hand has superior products is is ahead of the competion. The big advantage of hand is their keyboard which is not in place with either Samsung or Kyocera. Also their email solution. But to me their customer service as a palm os pda supplier makes them much more logical that you can get help from them, than that you can get help from Samsung or Kyocera.

I think Hand will be very successful with the help of Sprint in marketing their email service to the corporate world. In the gsm market, revenues are waiting for the gprs patch. Many service providers are not carrying the product until that patch and the necessary certification are in place. The third area of leverage is that Hand has not be advertising their products substantially presently. The increased exposure from the Sprint rollout will likely have a beneficial effect on their gsm revenues as well.

They currently are selliing at absolutely bargain pricing. If you want to be more conservative, you could wait until Sprint's 1x network actually launches and demonstrates sufficient speed to make doctorc happy. Btw, I don't think Hand needs to beat Samsung or Kyo. This is a new market nitch, and it is rapidly growing so it is not essential for Hand to be the only one standing. In short, I think you made a good move buying Hand. I must confess, that I too am a Hand shareholder.
    Originally posted by UGlee
    do you think Treo 300 are over priced or Sprint are charging too much for their 3G service?
    Treo 300 pricing seems reasonable compared to, say, the $800 price for the Audiovox Thera / Toshiba 2032. But Sprint definitely is charging too much for data service. On Friday I compared data prices for all the 2.5G/3G wireless providers in the U.S., and Sprint has the worst pricing in the industry. Verizon has by far the best pricing if you plan to use a lot of data, and Cingular has the best pricing if you plan to use very little. Sprint's pricing is bad enough to be a deal-killer for me.

Would you like to replace your mobile phone and palm by single integrated one?
    I've been procrastinating on getting a cell phone or PDA because for me the killer app is wireless web (and I mean true web, with the ability to reasonably display pages designed for desktop browsers), and there still isn't a device / network combo that satisfies my minimum requirements.

and, would you think the treo may beat other pda or palm phone, say, cdma palm phone from samsung or kyocera?
    Many people, including myself, certainly feel that the Treo (non-graffiti versions) has the best form factor in this arena. The one thing that kills it for me is the 160x160 screen, which really isn't enough for decent browsing on arbitrary sites. If it were 300x300 and were available on the Verizon network, I'd plunk down my cash.

If a PocketPC Phone Edition comes out that has acceptable standby time (the Thera / 2032's standby time of 8 hours is not acceptable), I suspect I'll get one of those (even though I hate to support Microsoft, and I hate to lose the Treo's keyboard), if there isn't a Palm OS model out by then with greater than 160x160 resolution.
    I've been procrastinating on getting a cell phone
    You don't have a regular cell phone? Isn't the ability to make calls when you're away from a phone a killer app
    Originally posted by work_permit

You don't have a regular cell phone? Isn't the ability to make calls when you're away from a phone a killer app
    Not for me. At least not as much of a killer app as good wireless web and email. I use text-based forms of electronic communication much more than I use voice-based ones.

But of course I want to have voice capability too, which means I can't go with the solution of a normal PDA plus a wireless card.
    Not for me. At least not as much of a killer app as good wireless web and email.
    You know, I see your point. I work with a lot of people who are anything but technophiles, but they've mostly all given up carrying a cell phone for carrying a blackberry.
    Hmmm...well personally I don't think Handspring is doing to badly...the Treo 90 is (I believe) the number 7 top selling PDA according to CNet which ain't (sic) bad. I think that with the Treos catching on more and more (I've even see three seperate TV commercials showing the Treo, in Canada) and this new Treo 300 (which by the comments on this board appears to be really popular) I think Handspring will be fine...I've actually been tossing around the idea of buying a few shares for myself just to show faith in the company...I love my Treo 90 and I believe that the majority of people who buy them also love them..it seems only the problems are posted here so this board makes it seem like everything is wrong with them but compared to some of Palm's, Compaq's, HP's and Sony's problems, these PDAs seem fine.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    Originally posted by UGlee

Will treo 300 get a big success since CDMA dominates American mobile communication markets?

Furthermore, do you think Treo 300 are over priced or Sprint are charging too much for their 3G service? Would you like to replace your mobile phone and palm by single integrated one? and, would you think the treo may beat other pda or palm phone, say, cdma palm phone from samsung or kyocera?
    Well now that I own a Treo 300 I wanted to share my feelings on this.

As soon as I heard the 300 was out I wanted to replace my phone and palm with a single integrated one. But it was not just because of that. Just integrating the 2 was not enough. It was that PLUS the seemless web integration. The ability to surf web sites on the PDA and not need to call another ISP to do it.

I don't know if it by its self will save Handspring, but it will help the company more than some of the other Treos have. I've been waiting for this one and wish it was first . I'm a fan of CDMA. Just my own view from my personal research. So I'm happy this finally came. Just wish it was true 3G (I mean I wish it followed the true specs for 3G that demand even faster speeds than 144kbs).

I do think the Treo is better than any other CDMA option out there now.
    i am already "pushing" corp email through my firewall, surfing web faster still with Xiino instead of Blazer, and checking AOL mail.

The integration isn't perfectly seamless, but it's already changed the way I'm working - - making it easier to work whenever, wherever, and stay ahead of things.

I don't know if this will "save" Handspring, but the quality and partnership with Sprint on CDMA 3G is delivering an amazing step forward.

I have sold my Visor Edge already on ebay, shut off my beeper service, and ditched my old phone. I now have one small light gizmo.

I remain impressed.
    I notice on this forum someone mention something about being dissatisfied with the pricing sprint has for their services. I usually dont comment on pricing sense im a tech, but i do have to say compared to all 3g data carriers including Verizon and Cingular... sprint prices are the cheapest.

1. Sprint has an Unlimited plan data plan for $49.99 for the first 3 months, then after that it will be $99.99 a month (same as Verizon except sprint has a larger network)

2. For low useage sprint has 2 meg plan added to your voice plan for $10 a month. I realize that cingular has $6.99 for 1 meg.. but per meg sprint is still cheaper.

Just wanted to clear the air about priceing...
    Originally posted by Sprint Tech
    I notice on this forum someone mention something about being dissatisfied with the pricing sprint has for their services.
    That would be me.

I usually dont comment on pricing sense im a tech, but i do have to say compared to all 3g data carriers including Verizon and Cingular... sprint prices are the cheapest.

1. Sprint has an Unlimited plan data plan for $49.99 for the first 3 months, then after that it will be $99.99 a month (same as Verizon except sprint has a larger network)
    Oh! Well, if this is true, this would change a lot. However, the PCS Vision pamphlets and the website make no mention of such a plan. Therefore, I'll have to take your claim with a large grain of salt.

Even if it is true, having the same price as Verizon doesn't mean you're "the cheapest" compared to them.

2. For low useage sprint has 2 meg plan added to your voice plan for $10 a month. I realize that cingular has $6.99 for 1 meg.. but per meg sprint is still cheaper.

Just wanted to clear the air about priceing...
    I only included the Cingular reference for people who would want to use <= 1 meg, so your comparison is invalid. (I'm certainly not such a person -- I want unlimited, baby! )
    I just came upon the Sprint's unlimited data plan thread, so it would appear this plan does in fact exist.

But it turns out that unlike Verizon's plan, Sprint's is only offered for use with laptop wireless cards, which makes discussion of it pretty pointless in a PDA/phone context. Also, it's only offered to business customers, whereas Verizon's plan is available to the general public.

Of course, when Verizon first brought out their unlimited megabyte plan, it too was only available to "enterprise" customers, but within a couple of months they started offering it to everyone. Who knows if/when Sprint will follow suit (and also allow it to be used with handhelds)...

In the meantime, I stand by my statement that Verizon is the price leader in the unlimited 3G data market now and for the forseeable future.
    According to this article Treo 300 sales are weak. So I guess this confirms the Treo 300 will not save HandSpring. Atleast it seems they have enough cash to stay in business for some time.
    It'll be hard because they just layed off 20% of their staff today.......

Let's just face it. The Pocket PC will soon rule over everything.
    I happen to be both a Palm and PPC user (Treo 300 and Toshiba e740). I'm probably going to look hard at the Kyocera 7135 because of it's SD mem support.

However, I admit that, personally, I like my PPC as a PDA more overall but I think that Palm will still be the choice for PDA/phones. The size requirements of a PocketPC will make them unsuitable for a practical phone size and their dumbed down PPC OS "SmartPhones" don't impress me. This is where Palm will have an advantage.

Of course, I think that Palm is making a huge mistake (no surprise here) with OS 5. Palm keeps saying how they are better than PPC because they are the simpler, more elegant choice. Yet, with each new PalmOS version and device, they keep trying to make them more like PPC's (sound, graphics, processor speed etc). Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference. If Palm is going to try and "out-feature" Microsoft, Palm will lose horribly.
    Originally posted by DaleReeck
    Of course, I think that Palm is making a huge mistake (no surprise here) with OS 5. Palm keeps saying how they are better than PPC because they are the simpler, more elegant choice. Yet, with each new PalmOS version and device, they keep trying to make them more like PPC's (sound, graphics, processor speed etc). Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference. If Palm is going to try and "out-feature" Microsoft, Palm will lose horribly.
    This is getting a little off topic, but I have to disagree. I think if you've used Sony's PDAs at all you've seen that the simplicity and elegance of Palm OS can be wed with more advanced features quite successfully.