1.    #1  
    I just got activated after a call to Josh at Sprint Customer Service who did a pretty good job at activation. I would say the process took about 30-40 minutes but our objective was to get it right. Here wer the steps:

confirm the phone is on and the time is displayed

key in ## then their secret digits which brings you to the area where you input your phone number. No other input in this area is required unless you want to get into a discussion about portability. You don't

He volunteered my user name which was a variation of my first initial and name, and indicated I could change it as well as my password on the website.

He advised that the data would be enabled in about 4 hours, but while he was on the phone, I powered the phone down, then back on, and after the network search, it said my settings were out of date.

The phone then proceeded to provision itself, connect to Sprint provisioning, logon with my username without me putting in a password, and concluded with a successful update. I had reprogramed the calendar button to access all my Palm applications and the provisioning process undid that so it's talking to the phone at a pretty low level (yes, they have control of your phone.) I have not received the SMS message with my password but don't need it yet.

I could immediately access the homepage for the Vision service which had lots of links. There is a green set of arrows next to the signal strength meter which show when data is uploaded or downloaded. He claimed that this indicated the phone was talking to 3G because it's only a 3G phone.

There are several posters that think they are on the old data network. That may be correct but not according to Sprint's info that says this is only a 3G phone. I'm not sure who's right.

You might want to check the Treo's network preferences. Under services there is one called Sprint Provisioning which is a "setup" account which creates an account called Sprint-your user name. The username is set to yourusername@sprintpcs.com with the password assigned. Thos of you with experiance with Sprints older data network may want to compare this to your settings.

I can even get phone calls. Hope this helps those of you who have questions about the activation process. Josh did a great job and gets off work at 9:30 EST.

Ha ha ha
    1)hows the data and browsing spped?
    2)can u access any hotmail/yahoo email?
    3)hows voice clarity?
    4)which phone do u have and hows the battery life and screen size/clarity?
    thanks
    Do you see your username (instead of the time) in the phone app now? I can connect via the "Sprint - username" connection, as well as via a (manually created) dialup connection to a non-Sprint ISP, but they're both about the same speed.
    PCMusician: Thats great news. I just got off of tech support. They told me to chill, that it won't get provisioned until tomorrow.
  5.    #5  
    I don't see my username istead of the time in the phone app. Do you ? I havn'tgotten my SMS message yet with the password and that may be related.

I'm getting progressively more impressed with the throughput. The incoming data seems pretty bursty which is common for packet data, but the kilobytes ($$$) add up fast. I havn't had a chance to really test the voice clarity other than a few calls but it sounds a little better than my GSM Treo and possibly as good as my Verizon Startac.

It will take a couple of days of usage at peak hours when the cell sites get loaded down to really tell. From what I'm told, CDMA sites "breathe" and the coverage shrinks as the site gets loaded down resulting in a dropped call if the next site is out of range. From what I hear, Sprint has had lots of dropped calls anyway. We'll see. If its a totally new network with light customer loading it should be great but this is my first Sprint phone.

I have the Treo 300 and the screen size is, well, PDA size. The jury is out on battery life but I think that the screen brightness you choose will be a major factor. More news tomorrow. I'm tired from complaining about Sprint today so I'll probably devote tomorrow to installing the Business Connection which I'll have to install on my office machine. I have Treo Mail for Cingular on there now so I'll probably reformat the hard drive in the morning and reimage my machine with a fresh XP install. The free disk does not list XP as a compatable OS but I'm going to throw it on there anyway.
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    I don't see my username istead of the time in the phone app. Do you ? I havn'tgotten my SMS message yet with the password and that may be related.

I'm getting progressively more impressed with the throughput. The incoming data seems pretty bursty which is common for packet data, but the kilobytes ($$$) add up fast. I havn't had a chance to really test the voice clarity other than a few calls but it sounds a little better than my GSM Treo and possibly as good as my Verizon Startac.

It will take a couple of days of usage at peak hours when the cell sites get loaded down to really tell. From what I'm told, CDMA sites "breathe" and the coverage shrinks as the site gets loaded down resulting in a dropped call if the next site is out of range. From what I hear, Sprint has had lots of dropped calls anyway. We'll see. If its a totally new network with light customer loading it should be great but this is my first Sprint phone.

I have the Treo 300 and the screen size is, well, PDA size. The jury is out on battery life but I think that the screen brightness you choose will be a major factor. More news tomorrow. I'm tired from complaining about Sprint today so I'll probably devote tomorrow to installing the Business Connection which I'll have to install on my office machine. I have Treo Mail for Cingular on there now so I'll probably reformat the hard drive in the morning and reimage my machine with a fresh XP install. The free disk does not list XP as a compatable OS but I'm going to throw it on there anyway.
    It sounds like your activation went about like mine did on Friday night. I am able to access data, but it is very slow. Nowhere near 50 to 70 kbps average throughput that is / was claimed of 3g. It's more like around 1kbps.

I am wondering how much of this has to do with Blazer and going through a Blazer proxy? ALthough Eudora seems to download my e-mail pretty slow too.

I wonder if I was able to use another type of web browser on this that does not go through a proxy if throughput would be any better... suggestions?