1.    #1  
    The following is from the PCS Connection Manager Software FAQ. The software allows you to connect the PCS Vision phone with a USB cable to your laptop and use the phone as a modem.

What is PCS Connection ManagerSM?

PCS Connection ManagerSM is the next generation of Wireless Web Connection software. PCS Connection ManagerSM will take advantage of the increased data speeds offered by the upgrade to Enhanced PCS Network.

How is PCS Connection ManagerSM different from Sprint PCS Dialer?

PCS Connection ManagerSM does not need to "dial" a phone number like a modem or the wireless dialer software. Instead, PCS Connection ManagerSM uses an "always on" Internet Protocol (IP) connection to pass data across the Enhanced PCS Network. This is similar to a Cable Modem or DSL connection.

If the connection is "always on" am I always being billed?

No, the connection to the network goes dormant after a period of inactivity. But the connection can be re-established faster than having to re-dial a number that was disconnected. Billing only occurs when data is passed from across the network.

Why do I need to buy a new connection kit?

The new connection kits use Universal Serial Bus (USB) connections to communicate with your laptop or desktop computer. The USB connection transfers data that you send and receive much faster than older Serial cables.

I already have the Dialer software installed. Can I use it to connect at the faster speed offered by the Enhanced PCS Network?

No. The Sprint PCS Dialer utilized the 2G CDMA network that Sprint launched in the 1990's. You can still connect to the Sprint PCS 2G network with the dialer but your connection speed will be limited to 14.4 Kbps.

How fast will my connection be with PCS Connection ManagerSM?

The Enhanced PCS Network allows you to connect to the Internet at speeds of up to 144Kbps. This is the maximum rate you will experience. Average connection speeds are between 50Kbps and 70Kbps. This is faster than a standard modem.

What Operating System does my computer need to run PCS Connection ManagerSM?

PCS Connection ManagerSM works with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP.

Can I still connect if I do not have USB port?

No. A USB port must be installed on your PC or laptop to use PCS Connection ManagerSM.

Can I connect to a dial-up account like AOL or EarthLink?

Yes, you can connect to a standard dial-up account. Click Menu/New Connection and enter the information necessary to access the dial-up account. If you are unsure of this information please contact your service provider.

Once I connect with PCS VisionSM to the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network, how do I access my corporate network through a VPN?

Once you complete a wireless connection, it is no longer necessary to use a dialer product to establish a connection. However, you may need to launch an extranet client provided by your company and supply the appropriate username and password to gain access.

How can I optimize my settings to achieve the fastest speeds and conserve data while connected to my corporate network?

You can optimize your settings for faster speeds and conservation of data transmission when accessing your corporate network by working in "offiline" mode and synchronizing periodically to send and receive corporate e-mail. Also, save/drag and drop attachments to a desktop folder rather than double-clicking prior to opening.

Additionally, removing the Preview Pane or using the AutoPreview for headers only, will yield better results.
    Does the Connection software work with the Treo? I like the device for day to day uses, but if I get in a pinch and I want to use my notebook to do some serious work, I'd like to be able to connect my laptop up to it...

-Andrew
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ducasir
    Does the Connection software work with the Treo? I like the device for day to day uses, but if I get in a pinch and I want to use my notebook to do some serious work, I'd like to be able to connect my laptop up to it...

-Andrew
    While I don't presently have a Treo, the documentation for Business Connection software indicates that the software will work with Palm-powered SprintPCS phones of which the Treo is listed.

Keep in mind that the way Business Connection works is to install the software on your office PC that is running either Outlook or Notes on your office network as well as installing a Palm app. on the Treo which is part of the Business Connection package. The PC then has to be left on. You are then able, via any Internet enabled device (e.g., home PC, Treo, etc.) to get to your office email, calendar and one file folder of documents on your office PC hard drive by logging into bc.sprintpcs.com.

When you indicate that you want to connect your laptop to the Treo, you would only need to do this if you wanted to use the Treo as a modem for the laptop. To access the office information listed above, you only need the Treo.
    I want to use the speed of the 3g network to make SSH connections and other network related tasks. I'm not so much concerned with Outlook and those applications, sounds interesting, but not for an extra charge. (and the fact that I don't use Outlook).

-Andrew
    Originally posted by enagel
    The following is from the PCS Connection Manager Software FAQ. The software allows you to connect the PCS Vision phone with a USB cable to your laptop and use the phone as a modem.

I am trying to find/download this software anyone know where to get it?

AK
    Originally posted by aktiveradio

I am trying to find/download this software anyone know where to get it?

AK
    I'll get it and try it right now. Last time I tried it - there was NOT a driver for the treo. I'll report back in a moment.
    Just got off the phone with SprintPCS. The guy said that the software is now available and gave me the following link:

http://205.137.195.84/servlet/Selectpage

He said to select the Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and download the PCS Connection Manager Software.

I can't try for another 30 minutes or so -- if nobody has reported in here, I will do so....

HTH.

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Nice, the link from the site doesn't work but that one you just posted does.
    Originally posted by Mr.Pink19108

I'll get it and try it right now. Last time I tried it - there was NOT a driver for the treo. I'll report back in a moment.
    Still no driver for the treo. There are drivers for sanyo, hatachi, and samsung. Softeare does not recognize the treo.
    I highly doubt that the software is going to work with the Treo 300 as not only is there a driver required for the Windows machine, software is also needed on the Treo. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has (as far as I know) written the software on the Treo and Sprint hasn't contacted me about licensing it. Other PDA phones, such as the Kyocera 6035 are smart enough to become wireless modems without additional software (they have software built in).

I'd encourage people to request Treo 300 support from Sprint for the Connection Manager software.

It would be great if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, I'm not.
    I must have one of those infamous dump *** customer service people again, they told me to go download the software and it will work with my treo 300.
    Doesn't work for me. Software doesn't even recognize that I have my Treo 300 plugged in.
    Same here. I guess WE have to wait for the Sprint to get there act together.