1.    #1  
    Just reviewing plans online - the 6500 (750 / 5750) plan is probably a good fit for me. In Ohio, where I live it comes with 2mb and goes for $84.99. But, recently I've been working in Indiana where that 6500 minute plan costs the same, but has 8mb with it. What's with that? I used the online calculator to check what that would go for in Ohio and I was told $94.99! So what does that mean? Sprint thinks that people in Indiana surf more? People in Ohio can afford to pay more for data? Why the disparity?

Also, I'm assuming that the $499 price tag that everyone is talking about is for a new phone with new service, right? As an existing customer what should I expect to pay? It blows my mind that Sprint won't give existing customers a deal, yet they still lock them into a 1 or 2 year contract

Dunc
    I paid $499 at my sprint store, existing customer
    I just got off the phone with a sprint rep. Can't activate at 12:01 Sunday morning. He said the plans on the web site may change by tommorow.

The worst part was he said I have to sign up for a 2 year commitment (even though I'm an existing customer)

The 1 year commitment he said was a typo.

Sounds like Sprint is really scrambling here....

I just don't want to get locked into a 2 year plan then have prices drop.
    I'm seeing the same price disparity in Arizona. The 1-yr plans for ZIP code 85224 (Chandler, AZ) start at 350/3650/2MB/$59.99. In the 79413 area code (Lubbock, TX, my hometown), the same plan goes for $49.99. If you look at every single one of their plans, Arizonans appear to pay a $10 premium across the board for the same peak/off-peak/MB/year combination. I noticed the disparity b/w my plan and the rates that have been posted to this board and spoke to the Sprint rep in the store on Friday and he seemed to think that their plans would be the same nationwide, but that doesn't seem to hold. What other areas (besides Arizona and apparently Ohio) have people seen spendier Sprint plans? My rep told me he'd "bend over backward" to make it right if the disparity was still there next week after the official rollout, I'll have to take him up on that.

Also, Dunc, I think the disparity in the Indiana/Ohio plans may be because Ohio has (like Arizona) more expensive plans. Sprint charges $10 to tack on 6MB of data; the extra 6MB that Indiana gets is tacked onto the $74.99 that they would normally pay, thus the $84.99 price.
    I think he's mistaken on the supposed typo. The plans I was debating were 500/4500/2MB/1yr versus 800/5200/2MB/2yr (the 2nd is their promo plan, available in the PCS store and who knows where else). I wound up going for the 800min plan. Also, the 3 months free is only for the data, which is $20 over their non-Vision plans. So I pay $50/month for the 1st 3mo, then $70/mo after that. One other thing, they said that ALL data was free for the 1st 3 months, so I added 18MB for the first 3 months (which would normally be $30/month extra), then I can drop it at the end of the 3 months. The idea is to figure how much data I'll actually use while I've got 20MB/month, then figure out if I can deal with only 2MB/month or not.

Originally posted by coreysapp
    I just got off the phone with a sprint rep. Can't activate at 12:01 Sunday morning. He said the plans on the web site may change by tommorow.

The worst part was he said I have to sign up for a 2 year commitment (even though I'm an existing customer)

The 1 year commitment he said was a typo.

Sounds like Sprint is really scrambling here....

I just don't want to get locked into a 2 year plan then have prices drop.
  6.    #6  
    Personally, I think the two year committment is lower then low! Cellular number portability was supposed to go into affect this fall and the industry managed to lobby it off for another year. If Sprint was signing us all up on one year contracts half of the customers would leave next fall when number portability finally arrives. By locking us into a two year contract they're moving everyone past the number portability rollout, and therefore artificially keeping their user base in place.

Dunc
    I wonder if there's a reason they'd be doing this....

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=pcs&d=c&t=1y
    Last edited by work_permit; 08/11/2002 at 12:06 AM.
    In regard to 1 yr vs 2 yr vs no contract, I've found that on SprintPCS' web site you can elect either of these three options for PCS Vision service with the Treo or any of the Vision phones. The "standard" option appears to be 1 yr with a $150.00 early termination fee. If you desire no contract, you can elect this and your monthly rate increases by $10/mo. but you have no termination fee. If you elect a 2-yr. plan, the only difference to a 1 yr plan is that PCS sends you a $100.00 credit at the end of 2-yrs. towards the purchase of a new phone.
    Oh, one other thing. If you enroll on the web site, you also receive an additional 6,000 night and weekend minutes spread evenly over the first six months after activation. Whoopee, just what we all need...more night and weekend minutes.