Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

    I have now confirmed that TreoButton disables the backlight on the keyboard for the Treo 300.

    Editors Note: This is not the case, doctorc was just unaware of the workings of the Treo keyboard light.

    Please tell me how to fix this. I have uninstalled the application by deleting it, I have done a hard reset. I have even re-installed TreoButton, reset all to defaults, and performed a hard reset. Still nothing will work.

    TreoButton has caused the backlight on the keyboard to stop functioning. The only time the backlight on the keyboard works is when I press the PHONE button, which is the only button I did not reprogram with TreoButton.

    This is very frustrating. Can you help?
  2. #2  
    try pushing the power button twice in rapid succession.
  3. #3  
    That dims the screen and turns on the keyboard backlight. But the unit still reverts back to previous behavior when the lid is closed, and then opened again.

    Are you saying that the backlight ALWAYS turned off when going into an app other than the phone?
  4. #4  
    Yes, I think that is the issue. The backlit keyboard being on all the time would be a waste of battery capacity. I am sure it is by design that you need to activate the backlight to conserve battery power. Does anyone else's keyboard(who has not installed Treo button yet)stay lit all the time??
  5. #5  
    All I need to hear from is a treo owner who has not installed treobutton BUT has the backlight go off when going into a non phone app.

    Findadvsr, it makes sense...you dim the screen and turn on keyboard backlight in the dark, but in the light you want a brighter screen and don't need the keyboard backlight. But why would the keyboard backlight stay on when you use the phone?
  6. #6  
    I bought my Treo 300 on Thursday. I have not installed TreoButtons and my backlight only comes on when I launch the phone app either by opening the lid or pushing the phone button.

    I would assume the thought process is you may want to dial a number using the number pad in the keyboard in a poorly lit environment that would require a backlight but for uses other than the phone, you wouldn't require the keyboard to be backlit, and if you decide that you would then you can turn it on manually. Makes perfect sense to me for the sake of battery life.
  7. #7  
    hehe..false alarm. Thanks shaud and finadvsr.

    Now that you mention it, I like this feature. Funny, I liked it a lot less when I thought treobutton had "broken" my treo
  8. #8  
    The only reason I can think of for this is that, when you are on the phone, the only way to input #'s (like the voice promts for navigating menus) is to use the keyboard's keypad as the phone's 'virtual keypad' is no longer accessible.
  9. #9  
    Now that you mention it, I like this feature. Funny, I liked it a lot less when I thought treobutton had "broken" my treo
    I thought the inclusion of a thumbpad makes the treo a pda first, phone second. I would rather it work the other way around, come on by default, and give you options in prefs to turn keep it off. Some people need five days standby, other people only need 10 hours of standby. Let the user make the decision.
    David
  10. #10  
    finadvsr and shaun are correct - the keyboard backlight only comes on automatically when you launch the Phone application (or open the lid, since the phone application is the launched by defualt). If you don't use the keys while in the phonebook app, the backlight turns it self of automatically.

    To use the keyboard backlight in any other condition, you have to double click the power button. This turns the backlight on, and dims the screen backlight (the screen's backlight is always on, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see anything). The screen backlight is dimmed to conserve power.

    This behavior should have been address in the manual (have not seen the 300 manual yet though). It is also explained in our review of the 270 http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/111-1.htm
  11.    #11  
    Ok I'm feeling quite the dumba** now but thanks to all of you for the replies. ROFL, (stupid newbie treo owner)... Anyway, this feature 'makes sense' and I actually like it now that I understand. Sorry for the false alarm and thanks to all who replied. This forum is the best thing to happen to the internet since wireless web
  12.    #12  
    One thing though.... it does seem kind of odd that even after you completely delete TreoButton and do a hard reset that the setting programmed in by TreoButton are still present. Kind of bothers me a bit that this 'application' PERMANENTLY modifies the Treo 300 and there is no way to "undo" this without re-installing the app and resetting to defaults. Kind of strange....
  13. #13  
    I see you got a lot to learn about your new tor..umm I mean tool

    The TreoButton came back oin after a hard reset because you hotsynced it back to the Treo. You see when you perform a hotsync, some program files and data is stored in your Backup folder on your desktop. When you hard reset and perform a sync the stuff in th backup folder get downloaded to the unit again. This is why when you delete an app from the Treo, you need to go into the Bcakup folder and delete there as well (if its there). not all applications backup themselves when you do a sync.

    Originally posted by doctorc
    One thing though.... it does seem kind of odd that even after you completely delete TreoButton and do a hard reset that the setting programmed in by TreoButton are still present. Kind of bothers me a bit that this 'application' PERMANENTLY modifies the Treo 300 and there is no way to "undo" this without re-installing the app and resetting to defaults. Kind of strange....
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by yardie
    I see you got a lot to learn about your new tor..umm I mean tool

    The TreoButton came back oin after a hard reset because you hotsynced it back to the Treo. You see when you perform a hotsync, some program files and data is stored in your Backup folder on your desktop. When you hard reset and perform a sync the stuff in th backup folder get downloaded to the unit again. This is why when you delete an app from the Treo, you need to go into the Bcakup folder and delete there as well (if its there). not all applications backup themselves when you do a sync.

    Actually no, even if I don't hotsynch the treobutton settings remain in effect after a hard reset. It is very strange. I can reprogram the buttons with treobutton, do a hard reset and the setting stay even though the unit is in it's "factory fresh" config with no other apps installed. Bizzare.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by doctorc
    Hello,

    I have now confirmed that TreoButton disables the backlight on the keyboard for the Treo 300.

    Editors Note: This is not the case, doctorc was just unaware of the workings of the Treo keyboard light.

    Please tell me how to fix this. I have uninstalled the application by deleting it, I have done a hard reset. I have even re-installed TreoButton, reset all to defaults, and performed a hard reset. Still nothing will work.

    TreoButton has caused the backlight on the keyboard to stop functioning. The only time the backlight on the keyboard works is when I press the PHONE button, which is the only button I did not reprogram with TreoButton.

    This is very frustrating. Can you help?
    Sorry about this post and others related to it folks. I was just not familiar with the backlight feature on the Treo 300. All is well. Treo Button is great software and I am still using it.
  16. #16  
    Whenever you double push the wireless button to activate the keyboard backlight to activate it in apps other than phonebook, the screen dims. But I notice that when you launch the phonebook, the keyboard backlight comes on automatically but the screen does not dim. Is there anyway to use the keyboard backlight in other apps without the screen dimming in the same fashion?
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by marcus
    finadvsr and shaun are correct - the keyboard backlight only comes on automatically when you launch the Phone application (or open the lid, since the phone application is the launched by defualt). If you don't use the keys while in the phonebook app, the backlight turns it self of automatically.

    To use the keyboard backlight in any other condition, you have to double click the power button. This turns the backlight on, and dims the screen backlight (the screen's backlight is always on, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see anything). The screen backlight is dimmed to conserve power.

    This behavior should have been address in the manual (have not seen the 300 manual yet though). It is also explained in our review of the 270 http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/111-1.htm
    Marcus,
    I need a little help here. What do I need to install to get the wireless phone to turn on automatically after a reset? I tried Treo Tools and could not get it to work.
    Sorry if I am being a goober and this has been posted before or if I am missing a silly setting.


    homer
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by the_homer


    Marcus,
    I need a little help here. What do I need to install to get the wireless phone to turn on automatically after a reset? I tried Treo Tools and could not get it to work.
    Sorry if I am being a goober and this has been posted before or if I am missing a silly setting.


    homer
    Once Handspring publishes the SDK for the Treo 300, I'll update Treo Tools for the 300...the turn on wireless modem after reset is something I miss already and I've only had my 300 for 2 days.
  19. #19  
    I thought that you would have been able to fix Treo Tools with a Treoo 300 in hand, I guess not. What about TCRinger?

    Originally posted by sgruby


    Once Handspring publishes the SDK for the Treo 300, I'll update Treo Tools for the 300...the turn on wireless modem after reset is something I miss already and I've only had my 300 for 2 days.

Posting Permissions