1.    #1  
    If Sprint allowed the Treo to be activated under an existing plan, it would be one of the smartest things they could do. Everything I have seen & heard is that it needs to be activated w/ a new Vision pricing plan to get ANY internet access. I purchased the Treo for it's functionality and form. I've used an I300 for the last 6 months and like it. The speed has been OK, and I can live with that if I can get Sprint to let me use my existing plan on the new Treo. It really burns me up that Sprint has been yanking its customers around with lousy customer service. And then, on top of that, they are never up front with you on the 'new' pricing plans. Years ago we had 1st incoming minute free and "peak" hours ended at 7pm. Then they slide you into a new plan and you lose the incoming minute free and drop back to 8pm.....now they're all at 9pm! Where does it end? My current plan includes 1000 anytime minutes for $85/month. I've got 3 phones on the account and the 2nd & 3rd are only $10/month for the add-a-phone feature. Now they want $20 for each addit. phone. Then there is the new "per usage" charge for data..... realistically, how far will 2MB or even 8MB get you?? If you browse the web for 20 minutes, you'll probably burn through that in one sitting. Then watch out for that Sprint invoice with a charge for about $25 for that one surfing session! I'm ready to bring back my Treo 300, pick up a 270 and sign up with Cingular.

Phew...sorry, but I had to vent!
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    If Sprint allowed the Treo to be activated under an existing plan, it would be one of the smartest things they could do. Everything I have seen & heard is that it needs to be activated w/ a new Vision pricing plan to get ANY internet access. I purchased the Treo for it's functionality and form. I've used an I300 for the last 6 months and like it. The speed has been OK, and I can live with that if I can get Sprint to let me use my existing plan on the new Treo. It really burns me up that Sprint has been yanking its customers around with lousy customer service. And then, on top of that, they are never up front with you on the 'new' pricing plans. Years ago we had 1st incoming minute free and "peak" hours ended at 7pm. Then they slide you into a new plan and you lose the incoming minute free and drop back to 8pm.....now they're all at 9pm! Where does it end? My current plan includes 1000 anytime minutes for $85/month. I've got 3 phones on the account and the 2nd & 3rd are only $10/month for the add-a-phone feature. Now they want $20 for each addit. phone. Then there is the new "per usage" charge for data..... realistically, how far will 2MB or even 8MB get you?? If you browse the web for 20 minutes, you'll probably burn through that in one sitting. Then watch out for that Sprint invoice with a charge for about $25 for that one surfing session! I'm ready to bring back my Treo 300, pick up a 270 and sign up with Cingular.

Phew...sorry, but I had to vent!
    The sad thing is that Sprint 3g really isn't that fast. In fact it is pretty slow. I don't really notice much of a difference between old wireless web and new 3g speeds. It is barely even noticeable. Maybe this is because the network does not go live until tomorrow at 10am EST so right now I'm limping along below capacity or something. But I can tell you for sure I am not impressed at all. It's not fast. It pretty much blows in fact. Also having some quality issues with the Treo 300 (surprise, Handspring fails again) with keyboard backlight being burnt out after only 3 days of use. Nice.
    finadvsr

I'm curious. Could you try downloading yahoo and tell us how long it takes on your i-300? It took me 4 MINUTES just now. I haven't used wireless web all that much, but I don't remember it taking that long.

Is sprint DOWNGRADING its 2G data transfer speeds as they turn on 3G?
    I was able to activate with my old plan. However I was told that any web access would be with the 3G and would be $0.02 a kb. This doesn't bother me as I only used Blazer a time or two a month with my Datalink module.
    Originally posted by doctorc

The sad thing is that Sprint 3g really isn't that fast. In fact it is pretty slow. I don't really notice much of a difference between old wireless web and new 3g speeds. It is barely even noticeable. Maybe this is because the network does not go live until tomorrow at 10am EST so right now I'm limping along below capacity or something. But I can tell you for sure I am not impressed at all. It's not fast. It pretty much blows in fact. Also having some quality issues with the Treo 300 (surprise, Handspring fails again) with keyboard backlight being burnt out after only 3 days of use. Nice.
    Even though I use an ID of PCMusician, I worked for Sprint in their network management section for years. Normally, your network is in place and then you add customers, watch it fill up and expand only to the point where peak traffic gets blocked. The thought that Sprint is about to turn on the "full bandwidth switch" tomorrow morning seems unlikely. In fact, the opposite is usually true, especially with packet switched data. As the customer base increases which should happen tomorrow, data usually slows down.

I would be nice to see those of you that can used Blazer now report back after 10AM EST. My guess is that it will slow down as activation take place, but the fact that it is Sunday and there is no business traffic (that's probably why they chose Sunday) should leave plenty of capacity.

Unless I see people report that their pages load (first loads, not cached pages) significantly faster, I'll reactivate my Treo 270 with Cingular where I can surf the web after 9 or upload my email before 7 at more reasonable rates.
    I talked to a salesperson today and they definitely tried to steer me to one of the new plans saying it was tailored to the Treo. After I told her that I had read everything I could on the website plus forums like this, I was able to get her to agree that I could keep my existing plan. For me the websurfing and e-mail isn't that important - I have a computer that is much faster. I am looking for simply a phone/PDA combo.

Also, if you go to Sprint's website you can order the phone there and it gives you the option (again they try to steer you) of going with one of the plans that are in effect already and not the new plans.
  7.    #7  
    work_permit

www.yahoo.com took me 2 minutes to download on my I-300. (w/ Blazer pref. set at 4 shades gray(fast)). Looked like it was approx. 18 kb total.
    I had set it to 256 colors (slowest) and it was about 30 something k at 4 minutes. You got 2 minutes for 18k (at 4 colors).

So we're both averaging 1.2kbps. I seem to remember it used to be faster. So either my memory is faulty (very possible since I'm having a scotch at the moment), or sprint is screwing around.
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    Now they want $20 for each addit. phone.
    Not that this helps much... but adding additional phones to any base plan over $79.99 is now FREE. I have some of the new pricing training literature which specifically states this.

I still think their pricing is high. I am considering going with the $84.99 plan of 750 Anytime minutes, 8M, $100 credit towards a 2G phone, and having my wife's phone share the minutes for Free (BTW... with this plan if my wife were to purchase a 3G phone (lose the $100 credit), we BOTH get 8M of data for no additional charge.
    Roger