1.    #1  
    Hey I'm in Marin/Sonoma County and I wanted to hear about any experiences of Bay Area 3G users? Is it worth it? Any gripes!? Would love to hear about it before I buy.
    I had a 270 with Cingular and dropped it because the coverage where I live and work (southern Sonoma County) was disappointing. I have a 300 now and am waiting to activate it and see how it works.
    Kami
  3.    #3  
    WOW, really? I live in Rohnert Park (go to SSU) and spend a lot of time in Marin, and I was considering the treo 270 with cingular. I'm an existing cingular customer who will cancel and go with treo 300/sprint if it has good coverage.

When you say the coverage was bad, you must mean the general cell phone coverage right? I understood that Cingular wasn't GPRS ready and so you must have been dialing up the internet access, am I right? And it was bad? Very interesting.
    Well, I didn't say the Cingular coverage was bad, just disappointing. I had been using AT&T, which doesn't support the Treo, and it was really good coverage.

With Cingular, coverage was spotty in my home, at one of my worksites (both of these are in Petaluma), and inside a building in Santa Rosa where AT&T had worked fine. I don't know that Sprint will be any better countywide, but it might work better in the places where I go most often. I'll have to wait and see.

Re dialing up with Cingular, something I liked about it was that Cingular functioned as the ISP; in other words, there was no need to dial a number or to have another ISP. However, Cingular itself does not provide an SMTP server, so sending email can be problematic. You need something like Treomail or Aileron, or if your own ISP provides for SMTP authentication you can use Eudora Mail (freeware) and use your own ISP's SMTP server while using Cingular as your ISP.

It gets confusing. But if you try it out and need help, feel free to email me and I'll try to explain what I learned (and then gave up because of what I felt was poor coverage).

I'll add that another thing that motivated me to give up Cingular and the 270 was that when the much-awaited GPRS is available, it will not actually be much faster than it is now, at least until they amp it up in the next phase. The rep said it would be 9.6K! True, that is always on and that has its benefits.
    Kami
    Originally posted by Kami
    I'll add that another thing that motivated me to give up Cingular and the 270 was that when the much-awaited GPRS is available, it will not actually be much faster than it is now, at least until they amp it up in the next phase. The rep said it would be 9.6K! True, that is always on and that has its benefits.
    I gave up cingular (I still have the 270) because I thought the GPRS patch would b e deprioritized in favor of Treo 300 production. Now I'm wondering if always on translates to always capable of costing you money and maybe the GPRS will remain buggy. Without GPRS, I still have email waiting notification in Treomail and my web browsing seldoms requires instant connecton. Lets see how instant Sprints connections are. Maybe Sprint will be nasty and force new pages to load when the cached copy would be fine to sell more data
  6.    #6  
    I found this press release of Cingular's interesting. It seems at best they hope to have full GPRS capability by the end of 2003 nationwide. Hmm...3g from Sprint for the next full year, with it still evolving by the time Cingular *hopes* to roll out a nationwide 3g solution. I think Sprint will win this race, it's out in front as we speak, and by the time the competition catches up Sprint will be moving into their next generation of wireless. Seems like it will be at the least a safe bet to say that going with Sprint will be better now, and better still then, compared to Cingular.

http://www.cingular.com/about/latest_news/02_04_17
    Originally posted by longday
    I found this press release of Cingular's interesting. It seems at best they hope to have full GPRS capability by the end of 2003 nationwide. Hmm...3g from Sprint for the next full year, with it still evolving by the time Cingular *hopes* to roll out a nationwide 3g solution. I think Sprint will win this race, it's out in front as we speak, and by the time the competition catches up Sprint will be moving into their next generation of wireless. Seems like it will be at the least a safe bet to say that going with Sprint will be better now, and better still then, compared to Cingular.

http://www.cingular.com/about/latest_news/02_04_17
    They have to move into their current generation of wireless (3G) first, and that seems to be a struggle.