1.    #1  
    I finally got Sprint to activate my 3G service Friday at about 10pm EST. The only way I was able to do this was to basically be a completely abusive ******* to one of the CS reps but he finally activated it for me. I now have data and voice on my Treo 300.

First impressions (I will skip voice here as I have covered that elsewhere).

3G data is slow and I am not impressed with it. Is it faster than the old wireless web? Yes. Is it THAT much faster -- NO. Is it worth the upgrade? I would say probably NOT unless you are highly dependent on wireless web and need the extra speed. I'm not at all impressed by 3G. Maybe it is too early to tell, maybe it's still in the rollout phase so I'm not getting as good of results as I possibly could, but overall from my very limited (first 5-10 minutes with the service) I would have to say that if you are happy with your current phone, and happy with your current wireless web access, then wait until 3G is more ready for prime time. If, however, you just have to have one of the newer 3g phones (and they are nice, I love this Treo) then maybe 3g is for you.

FWIW you *CAN* activate voice only on the Treo 300 if you are somewhat sneaky about it but I feel time is running out for this option. Basically I had them switch my old voice plan to the Treo 300 on Wednesday when I bought the unit. If I would have been content with just the voice services I could have kept using just voice with my old (cheaper and better) plan on the Treo 300. But note that you would not be able to use wireless web -- you would have to use only voice, if you want data you must go to a 3g plan.

The plan I am on required a 2 year service contract. They have 1 year contracts but the minutes etc were not as good. It's $150 to break contract so I don't really care. The plan is 850 anytime minutes, 5250 night and weekend (Starting at 9pm) and 8 megs of data. This is a "shared plan" between two phones. It is $89.99 per month. Compared to my old plan (450 / 2500 / wireless web) at 69.99 per month it's not such an obscene upgrade cost but still more than I really care to spend on wireless (to me it is really just a toy at this point, as my livelihood does not really depend on it).

Overall, I think 3g is better than old wireless web, but not so much that I would suggest evereyone to rush out and get it just so that you can have faster speed. I hate to break it to you, but it really is just not that much faster. I'd say on average, about as fast, maybe a touch slower than 56k dialup. In time maybe this will improve (afterall they don't officially launch 3g until Sunday at 10am EST).

More on this later as I have time to play.

PS Someone should write a bandwidth / througput meter for the Treo 300 so we could figure out what kind of throughput we are getting -- furthermore it would be cool to be able to track the amount of data you have cumulatively downloaded so that you wouldn't go over your limit.
    the CSR in-sotre told me that if you dialed *4 you could find out how much of your bandwidth you used. however when i tried it i also found out (as did he) that sprint is about to start deducting minutes whenever you call *4.

he said that you could also get your bandwidth usage from the website once you log in...can you confim that?
    The brochure from my local Sprint PCS store confirms that, as well as Sprints website this morning.
    thanks for the detailed review...... try downloading wirelessmodem, from:

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/#wirelessmodem

then use the treo as the modem for your PC, then you can just open up an ftp program, transfer a file, and get a good idea of the data rate your getting....
    I'd say on average, about as fast, maybe a touch slower than 56k dialup.
    Isn't that alot faster than 14.4, which is what current wireless web access is?
    Ok, so how did you get that plan? it sounds perfect (but a little too good to be true )
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by work_permit

Isn't that alot faster than 14.4, which is what current wireless web access is?
    I suppose it is a lot faster than 14.4 but does not actually seem much faster than the wireless web service that sprint used to offer.

for example, when I went to yahoo.com it took about 25 seconds to download the main page. This seems rather slow, even for something that is supposed to get ~ 50kbps.

Maybe sprint has not flipped the switch yet and I'm still using wireless web and not truly 3g?

Anyway, it pretty much sucks. It's slow as hell. For sure not worth the upgrade at this point. I'll post more tomorrow when Sprint goes live for real.

Also, I believe that the backlight on the Treo 300 keyboard has burnt out. Not too impressed with the quality on this unit after having it only for about 4 days and barely using it. Note, this is the backlight for the keyboard, not the backlight for the display (which is another problem plaguign treos).
    I just tried downloading yahoo on my 2G i300. Took 4 minutes.

25 seconds to download a 40kbyte page sucks.
    4 minutes sucks dead goats.

Hmm, I don't remember yahoo taking quite that long. I wonder if they are screwing around with the network
    yeah, and on top of that it would have cost you $.80 to look at one damn page if you went over your 8MB. Pricey, to say the least.
  10.    #10  
    dd
    Last edited by doctorc; 08/11/2002 at 02:03 PM.
    ayee... enough with treobutton and the backlight! you should delete your posts since they are not accuate.....
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Fikse
    ayee... enough with treobutton and the backlight! you should delete your posts since they are not accuate.....
    Yes I should, I'm sorry about that -- I'm new to all this. How do I delete my posts. I'll try to do it now.
    Originally posted by doctorc
    Yes I should, I'm sorry about that -- I'm new to all this. How do I delete my posts. I'll try to do it now.
    Go to your post, and click the edit button. Then delete all of the text. If you'd like, you can replace it with something like:

"Message deleted by author of post".
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by jdhill

Go to your post, and click the edit button. Then delete all of the text. If you'd like, you can replace it with something like:

"Message deleted by author of post".
    Done