1.    #1  
    Is there a way to set the up and down buttons to scroll a full page on the applications menu, as they do on standard Palm OS PDA's, rather than icon by icon?
    Shift-Scroll does it.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Shift-Scroll does it.
    Thanks Kevin.
    No sweat. It's surprising how much the Treo can do without touching the screen. It's just a matter of figuring what keypresses get you there.
  5.    #5  
    No sweat. It's surprising how much the Treo can do without touching the screen. It's just a matter of figuring what keypresses get you there.
    Okay then, how do you scroll from item to item and then select in Memo Pad.

You're doing good so far...
    Open Memo Pad. The first entry should be highlighted. Shift-scoll moves a screen at a time. Scroll moves an entry at a time. Once you've highlighted the entry you want, press return or space to enter. Once in an entry, press return and it takes you to the end of the text. Unfortunately to exit, I think you have to tap done.

Next.
  7.    #7  
    Open Memo Pad. The first entry should be highlighted. Shift-scoll moves a screen at a time. Scroll moves an entry at a time. Once you've highlighted the entry you want, press return or space to enter. Once in an entry, press return and it takes you to the end of the text. Unfortunately to exit, I think you have to tap done.

Next.
    Doesn't work. When I open it, the first item isn't highlighted. Shift-scroll doesn't move anything and scroll moves a screen at a time.
    Last edited by Ennis; 08/09/2002 at 02:11 PM.
    Hmmmm.

Works fine on mine Treo 90. I just disabled all hack and it still works. Maybe mine likes me more than your likes you.

Are you using a 90 or a communicator? I just tried it on my Edge and it doesn't work on OS3.52.
  9.    #9  
    Hmmmm.

Works fine on mine Treo 90. I just disabled all hack and it still works. Maybe mine likes me more than your likes you.

Are you using a 90 or a communicator? I just tried it on my Edge and it doesn't work on OS3.52.
    I'm using a 90.
    Puzzling. So when you enter the memo app the first entry ISN'T Highlighted?

It is possible that our OS versions are slightly different. Go to the menu in your app screen and press the Version button. Mine reads 4.1H. How about yours?
  11.    #11  
    Puzzling. So when you enter the memo app the first entry ISN'T Highlighted?

It is possible that our OS versions are slightly different. Go to the menu in your app screen and press the Version button. Mine reads 4.1H. How about yours?
    It's 4.1H, and the first entry isn't highlighted.
    Well then one of our Treos isn't functioning right. (And if mine is broke and doing this, I'm not complaining.) You might want to check your users guide or contact Handspring email support and ask.
  13.    #13  
    Well then one of our Treos isn't functioning right. (And if mine is broke and doing this, I'm not complaining.) You might want to check your users guide or contact Handspring email support and ask.
    The users guide is a hopeless document. Thanks for the help though. One out of two is good.
    I had my ol' college friend try the Memo Pad trick with her Treo 90 this afternoon, out of curiosity. Reported results: using the scroll buttons will highlight Memo Pad notes on the list.

Ennis: are you SURE you don't have any hacks or apps on the Treo 90 that could be messing with the scroll button functionality? Anything at all? Sometimes the most unexpected software causes weird behavior elsewhere.

How 'bout the To Do and other apps ... same thing happen? Ol' college buddy sez: using scroll buttons does highlight To Do's down the list. Spacebar marks it as completed.
    ....blue key plus return = done. blue key plus backspace = cancel. You really can do almost anything from the keyboard.
    ------------------------
    Living life like I don't know when it will end.
    ---------------------
  16.    #16  
    I solved the problem. The problem was WordSmith, which invades Memo Pad. I deleted it and guess what Kevin, it scrolls one item at a time without pressing shift. It's the way I believe it's supposed to be. Thanks to everyone.
    I have Wordsmith installed on my 90, but it hasn't negatively affected Memo Pad the way yours did. Maybe it's because I haven't been using Wordsmith to edit memos, just docs?? Don't know.

Yes, you can do quite a bit with the keyboard. I just wish all apps behaved the same, meaning it would be great if all apps let you scroll down the list with the scroll-down button just like Memopad does. What's nice is that Documents to Go lets you scroll down with your custom "down" key that you've set up in TreoKeyboardUtils. I use Q and A for up and down, and S and D for left and right.

I think I've got a nice keyboard setup now -- here's what I'm using (these are all hacks):
    1) Treo Keyboard Utils - sets up/down and left/right scroll buttons for use inside Memopad.
    2) EasyLaunch - I've set up the first and fourth hard keys to "Off and Lock". After powering up, you can enter your password and Ctrl-Return to sign back on, all using the keyboard.
    3) McPhling - You can set the Activation to be by keys rather than by swipes. I've set the second hard key to give the Apps list; you then choose an item by scrolling up the list then hitting Return.

Anyone else have a nice setup? We can compare notes...
    Ennis,

Glad it's working. Now hold shift and scroll down, it moves a screen at a time. Handy if you have a lot of memos.

Incidentally, I have QED as my doc editor and reader. It's very solid and compresses and decompresses of docs fast. Only 40K.

Harris,

LazyLauncher: Freeware that pops up a list of all apps and all prefs when you hold down a hardware button. One handed launching. Another button has desk accessories.

Button Manager: Shareware that toggles between two apps on each hardware button. Doesn't interfere with LL if you enable Button Manager first.

Buttons T: Freeware that gives aloows your to lauch four apps by hardware buttons by pressing the option key.

Pop! and Pop app: Shareware that puts a pop up list of text shortcuts on a button. (Still you have to tap on an entry with the stylus, but it's faster than the Treo shortcuts.