1.    #1  
    For those of you interested in the functionality offered by the PCS Business Connection software which allows you to access your office email besides other cool features, I recommend reading the User Guide. Unfortunately, the size of it prevents me from posting it on here (128 pages in length). To access it, you will have to register for Business Connection service at bc.sprintpcs.com and then click on Help once registered. Keep in mind that you do not have to be using a PCS Vision phone in order to use Business Connection...you just have to have an Internet enabled PCS phone.

PCS has just updated the software and the guide. Section 4 of the guide is a lengthy section on using your Palm-powered PCS phone. I downloaded the new guide yesterday and am still wading through it.
    Can anyone post the manual at their website for those of us who will not have a Sprint PCS phone number til Sunday?
    Roger
    Isn't it true that this system requires that your office PC is on all the time? If you have a laptop that you shutdown and take with you on the road, aren't you out of luck while it's disconnected?

Thanks,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by BillPetro
    Isn't it true that this system requires that your office PC is on all the time? If you have a laptop that you shutdown and take with you on the road, aren't you out of luck while it's disconnected?

Thanks,
    With the peer-to-peer capabilities of the software it requires at least one PC on the office network to be on, connected to the same domain in your corporate network and running the PCS Business Connection software.

For example, you and I are both SprintPCS subscribers with PCS web service, I send you an invitation from the software to share a connection. The software generates an email which is sent to you describing my request and giving you a link to download the Business Connection software. Providing you accept the invitation and install the software, you and I would then share a connection. This means that as long as one of our PCs is up and running on the same corporate domain and running the Business Connection software, we can both get to our email, calendars and the files in the one file folder we have designated when setting up the software. The neat part about the software and this feature is that you can set up sharing with multiple people in the office that are PCS subscribers using PCS web service which increases the chances of having a PC that is on. Additionally, all of the traffic across this connection is secure so that I don't see or have access to your data or vice versa.

It is a very neat feature which I have found very helpful.
    If I have the operation of the Business Connection software correct, the Business connection software essentially forwards the filtered contents of your inbox to a portal that you can access through a browser, and view your mail. Yahoo mail is pretty similar in concept as it is a browser based email solution.

In addition, this email can be accessed by the Treo, and we are still waiting to see Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments open up with vibrant clarity you can see. Blackberry and Palm will be shaking in their boots when this happens in my opinion.

Now the corporate IT security staff gets wind of what's going on and says wait, your forwarding messages outside of our firewall to a 3rd party website. You say, don't worry, it's secure. They say prove it. Where's the proof ?

Should I sign a one or two year contract on something my IT department can cut off ? Not a problem if they pay for my plan. If it's HTTP traffic I'm not sure they can cut it off but they do prohibit exchange based rules from forwarding mail to the internet.

My Treo 270 email forwarding works with the XP firewall client on or off so it seems pretty flexible and the exchange system doesn't seem to know it's there.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    It is not forwarding your mail. It is giving you access to your PC via a web browser and custom interface. Think of the software as some kind of secure web server that works via port 80 via your company firewall. The Sprint server on the outside basically facilitates the secure connection between PC and Palm but does not "store" your mail.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Jazzer
    It is not forwarding your mail. It is giving you access to your PC via a web browser and custom interface. Think of the software as some kind of secure web server that works via port 80 via your company firewall. The Sprint server on the outside basically facilitates the secure connection between PC and Palm but does not "store" your mail.
    Absolutely correct. I will add the following relative to email access from another post I did on here:

While I don't presently have a Treo to try this on, the documentation for the Palm client you can download to the Treo in order to use the SprintPCS Business Connection software to access your office email indicates that you can configure the "push" scheduling for the email.

The documentation provides scheduling options for no scheduled sync or push, smart power sync which "dynamically manages the sync schedule based on how much power your Palm-powered PCS phone has", and custom sync settings which "let you define the synchronization schedule based on new mail arriving or on a static schedule for weekdays and weekends."

You can also, according to the documentation, select when you sync with the server whether you want a defined maximum number of the most recently received messages or all the messages received within a certain time frame. This is to save on storage space on the phone. Additionally, the documenation indicates that you can set mail filters which would allow you to specify which messages are downloaded as well as the maximum size of a message to be downloaded.

Finally, it would appear that you can also define alerts so that new mail would cause the phone to either vibrate or provide an audible alert
    Originally posted by Jazzer
    OK, now my IT guys are really getting scared. With millions of dollars worth of corporate secrets floating around the network, I have access to my PC on that network via a web browser. I'm curious now. I have a sniffer at work and I'm going to put it between my PC and the network.

How do you know they don't store your mail ? I'm not sure what factual evidence you have that they don't do anything. How do you know it's secure ? Because they tell you so ? I'm sure a large nationwide Long Distance/Wireless service in need of revenue wouldn't mislead us . There's a big difference between forwarding (push) technology and remotely accessing the PC (pulling) that would drive a security department to tears.

I can't wait until the "custom interface" that gives Sprint's secure Web server (and you know they are all secure) access to my PC is discussed with my Network Security team when Sprint gives their Sales pitch for this product. By the way, 5 bucks sez it won't install on Windows XP Professionsl without admin rights.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    All I can say is, like anything else in life, trust but verify.
    Hey Enagel, I just got a Business Connect plan, and it really is cool, but why in the world does it not support POP mail??

Fortunately I also have a Lotus Domino email account, but in most situations people usually have POP mail accounts which are not supported by Biz Con. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by m_sik
    Hey Enagel, I just got a Business Connect plan, and it really is cool, but why in the world does it not support POP mail??

Fortunately I also have a Lotus Domino email account, but in most situations people usually have POP mail accounts which are not supported by Biz Con. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
    The latest version of the software 5.0.0.275 gives you the ability to configure POP3 accounts. Click on Settings once you have logged into bc.sprintpcs.com and look for the option for setting up email.

One caveat. I downloaded this version of the software this week and have tried to configure my ATT GlobalNet account and I have been unable to affect a connection (keep getting a server error message).
    It will just not connect to my POP account! This sucks. Does your POP account work Enagel?

Thanks
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by m_sik
    It will just not connect to my POP account! This sucks. Does your POP account work Enagel?

Thanks
    Same here. I've been unable to get it to connect to my POP account.
  14.    #14  
    As an update, it appears that PCS may have fixed the problem I and others were experiencing over the weekend in being unable to check mail on a POP3 account within the Business Connection software.