1.    #1  
    As a former I-300 owner, here are my thoughts.

1. The Treo 300 is a little clumsy to hold. It is wider than most cell phones. I-300 fits in one's hand nicely.

2. I was a little disappointed with the "out of box" functionality. You need to add several apps to really make the best use of Treo 300. PowerJOG, TreoButton are a must. I am not sure why Handspring did not put such basic functionality in the phone.

3. I found the display much brighter than the I-300.

4. The I300 comes with a mail app. Treo 300 you need to download one. Kind of important before synching with Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc.

5. I LOVE the keyboard... very nice. I plan to use the device similar to the blackberry to have as near as possible to “always-on” email. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Sprint’s PCS Business Connection Provides this? Does Sprint use its own mail client on the Palm?

6. I prefer the dialing application and phone book of the Treo 300 over the I-300

7. The jog dial is awesome once you have PowerJog or a similar add-in loaded.
    Roger
  2.    #2  
    Over-all I would give it a BIG Thumbs-up for I-300 user who are tired of waiting for the I330.
    Roger
    Where would one find PowerJog to download?
    I too am a former Samsung I300 owner

Originally posted by RLewis
    As a former I-300 owner, here are my thoughts.

1. The Treo 300 is a little clumsy to hold. It is wider than most cell phones. I-300 fits in one's hand nicely.

Agree. A bit clumsy but still managable and I am sure I will get used to it.

2. I was a little disappointed with the "out of box" functionality. You need to add several apps to really make the best use of Treo 300. PowerJOG, TreoButton are a must. I am not sure why Handspring did not put such basic functionality in the phone.

Yah Treo Button is a requirement. Have not tried PowerJog yet. Will get it though. Nice thing about the treo vs the i300 though is that there is an SDK available so you can count on more such good apps in the future. I wasn't really disappointed by out of box functionality. I actually liked the phone dialer / phone integration in the treo 300 much better than the samsung i300

3. I found the display much brighter than the I-300.

Yes, much brighter I agree. At first I thought I was imagining it but it is brighter. Also it is easier to view in bright sunlight. Took it out at lunch today and while it is not pretty you CAN see to dial etc in fairly bright (high noon on a sunny maryland day) sunlight.

4. The I300 comes with a mail app. Treo 300 you need to download one. Kind of important before synching with Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc.

Yah no biggie there though. I use Eudora. Works great and is totatlly free and way WAY better than the mail app with the i300 anyway.

5. I LOVE the keyboard... very nice. I plan to use the device similar to the blackberry to have as near as possible to “always-on” email. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Sprint’s PCS Business Connection Provides this? Does Sprint use its own mail client on the Palm?

Yes, keyboard is a requirement in all future palm devices for me. I am a convert. I was skeptical but the keyboard rocks. Period.

6. I prefer the dialing application and phone book of the Treo 300 over the I-300

Yep way, WAY better.

7. The jog dial is awesome once you have PowerJog or a similar add-in loaded.
    Hmm, I need to get power Jog.
    As an I300-turned-Treo owner myself (left Sprint, tho) - I can tell you that these are my must-have apps for my treo:

Buttons-T (remaps Option+button, flip-open, and jog press while closed)
    TreoTools (powers off the radio at a set time - i.e.: night - and on again later to save battery)
    TreoAlertMgr (keeps reminding you of missed calls, VMs, SMS, etc.)
    TCRinger (or any other custom ring handling program)

They're all great ... that's the main reason I switched to the Treo, HandSpring has been very open and supportive of 3rd party developers, which means that we'll have great applications for this platform. Samsung ... well ... once you've bought it, it doesn't seem like they really care.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info dtoombs. Maybe we should start a "Must Have Apps" for all of us new Treo 300 owners.
    Roger
  8.    #8  
    BTW... dtoombs do you like T-Button better than Treo Button? Is so, why?
    Roger
    dtoobs, great to have you as a convert also!

Do you already have a Treo 300?

Also, can you please provide links to the applications you mentioned above?

homer
    I found Treo Tools but cannot get it to work when I reset the phone. Any ideas? I am pretty frustrated with the phone not turning on auto-magically after a reset.

homer
    Originally posted by dtoombs
    They're all great ... that's the main reason I switched to the Treo, HandSpring has been very open and supportive of 3rd party developers, which means that we'll have great applications for this platform. Samsung ... well ... once you've bought it, it doesn't seem like they really care.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Handspring has been supportive of 3rd party developers. As the author of two of the items on your list (TreoTools and TCRinger), I can say that I had to figure out most of it on my own; Handspring's documentation was lacking and they wanted to charge me to get developer support. Not only that, I had to buy my phone (a 180) at regular price. I haven't bought a 300, yet, but I really want to get one as I like Sprint better than Cingular (in my service area).

If anyone at Handspring is reading this, please send me a Treo 300 :-)
    Originally posted by the_homer
    I found Treo Tools but cannot get it to work when I reset the phone. Any ideas? I am pretty frustrated with the phone not turning on auto-magically after a reset.

homer
    It's probably not going to work with the 300 because all the calls are using a GSM Library; since the 300 is CDMA, I have no idea what Handspring did. Once I get my hands on a 300, I'll fix up TreoTools and again release it for free.