1.    #1  
    Apparently Sprint doesn't let you keep your old plan. I'm paying $35.99 for 650 anytime/3000 N&W (8 pm). The new plans are going to be twice as much for half the minutes. I like the Treo 300 but not THAT much better than my SPH-i300. I'll be returning the Treo. Anyone know if there is any way around this?
    I spent about a hour today in my local PCS store and questioned the sales people quite thoroughly on using the PCS Vision services. Everyone I spoke with, without hesitation, indicated that if you want to use the new phones you have to switch to a new PCS Vision rate plan.
    I think part of this is Sprint's desire to finally cut everyone over to 9pm N&W, since many people are still on the 8pm plan.

Masonuc - I just gave you a big welcome on the I300 board, sorry to see you're going so soon. Have you considered Voicestream? (T270) I'm using it here in DC and the service has been excellent so far. And their regional plan (granted, not for everyone - but fits well for my needs) gives 3,000 anytime minutes for $59.

Hope you'll stay ... but understand if you choose to go. You could just use the phone with a regular CSD dial-up, like the I300, couldn't you?? With 3,000 minutes on my plan, I don't think I'll see the need to sign up for GPRS for a while.....

-Doug
  4.    #4  
    Dtoombs: Good to see you over here.

Re: the 9pm/8pm -- I just got the 8 pm plan (it's a retention plan). I agree they'd love to switch everyone to 9 pm, but they just let me stay at 8 pm (and switched my girlfriend to 8 pm from 9 pm).

I don't follow your CSD dialup plan. Are you saying I can just ignore/get around 3G but still use wireless web on Sprint PCS? I'd love that -- speed is not a huge deal for me -- I just need Business Connection (wireless web) and an occasional web browse.
    I have no idea whether or not you could use the good ol' wireless web settings that worked on the I300 or not. But it sure would be interesting to try and see. They may specifically block you in Sprint, but from what I'm hearing with the GSM carriers, if you have GPRS (their version of 2.5G/3G), you can still usually do regular ol' CSD (like what you had on the I300) on the network.

So, with my 270, I could use GPRS for always-on mail and IM and keep my costs down ... but then if I wanted to surf the web for half an hour (no biggie with the 3,000 minute plan) I could dial up regular CSD.

Of course, this is all theory. We don't have the GPRS patch from Handspring just yet.
    surf the web at 14.4k? You are a better man then I
    Originally posted by work_permit
    surf the web at 14.4k? You are a better man then I
    Well, I didn't say I'd do much of it.

Actually, I rarely ever use Blazer. Mostly because of the speed, and partially because reading most websites (ie: not optimized for PDAs) at 160x160 just plain sucks. Everything else I want to get wirelessly (weather, movie times, etc.) is usually in my Avantgo anyway. Email and IM are the two biggies for me....
    Originally posted by masonuc
    Apparently Sprint doesn't let you keep your old plan. I'm paying $35.99 for 650 anytime/3000 N&W (8 pm). The new plans are going to be twice as much for half the minutes. I like the Treo 300 but not THAT much better than my SPH-i300. I'll be returning the Treo. Anyone know if there is any way around this?
    Yes this is in fact true, and there is no way around it. I spoke to 4 different people at *2 and they are all giving me the same grief. I am pretty unhappy about it but what can I do? I won't switch to voicestream or verizon. I need the nationwide coverage of spring because I travel a lot.

Maybe the people at the retention plan # can help me out with this.
    Yes this is in fact true, and there is no way around it. I spoke to 4 different people at *2 and they are all giving me the same grief.

Which is completely disingenuous, IMO. Obviously the phones work right now on Free and Clear plans, as many posts have testified. None of the Sprint stores in my area will sell the Treos they have on hand until Sunday. I believe they're doing this to avoid tipping off people to the fact that the Treo 300 will, in fact, work without PCS Vision service. As far as I'm concerned, this is a forced upgrade on par with M$ Licensing 6.
    None of the Sprint stores in my area will sell the Treos they have on hand until Sunday.

Update: I was able to get a Treo at the Sprint PCS store in Pasadena, after all. But they insist that the service can't be activated until Sunday. I'll have more to say about the product when the service is up and running.