1.    #1  
    For all of you out there hoping to be able to add PCS vision service to your existing account (i.e. add data services to you already good night and weekend plans) you can forget about it. Two Sprint PCS reps have told me that signing up with any 3g service will require you to renew your account with Sprint, and they will cancel your old plan. There is no way around this. Looks like I will have to kiss my 8pm night minutes goodbye and go to 9pm night minutes.

Too bad Sprint coverage is so good, or I would drop them in a minute. Their pricing plans blow, and so does their customer service.
    You could do what I did ....

I was on a $75/month plan giving me 1,000/7,000. 7,000 N&W minutes blows ... unless you work third shift. But, you're right, their coverage is good.

But I eventually caved in and got the Treo 270 on Voicestream. The plan I got is a regional one (not travelling so much in this economy, ya know?) which gives 3,000 anytime minutes for $59. So far, the service here in DC has been excellent. I'm out in Ashburn and get great signal at my house (better than Sprint's was), and even had signal out in Purcellville and Middleburg over the weekend. I was surprised and impressed.

So, when I went to cancel my Sprint account, they tried to talk me out of it. I negotiated an "emergency use" plan for $10 a month, which gives me 50 minutes per month. I activated an older dual-band phone I had (like your 8500) and keep that charged an in the car in case of emergencies.

So, instead of $75/month, 1 carrier w/analog backup, 1000/7000, for $69 a month I get 3050/0, 2 carriers one with analog backup.

I've got the best of both worlds! Sprint's great coverage for when I really really need it, and a great minute plan with Voicestream.

-Doug
  3.    #3  
    good point, but how is voice stream's data service? I hear you need a separate ISP for the time being, which I do not have... so that would be an extra $10 or so per month.... but that is an interesting idea.
    Originally posted by doctorc
    good point, but how is voice stream's data service? I hear you need a separate ISP for the time being, which I do not have... so that would be an extra $10 or so per month.... but that is an interesting idea.
    Do a search on the General/180/270 boards for "VoiceStream ISDN" and follow those directions. That's what I'm using -- no separate ISP for me.

Then again, I haven't received my first bill yet. Maybe I'm going to get whacked by something -- but read the threads, you'll see what I mean.

Only thing to keep in mind is that there's no SMTP service. But with Basejet, I don't need that.

-Doug