1.    #1  
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse...ures_a5ae1.pdf

https://bc.sprintpcs.com/subscriber/login.stp (click on learn more)

Since treomail offers only a subset of this functionality, and is $99 (vs $36) a year, and treomail seems to support only GSM -- is this the thing to get if you want to access Outlook information behind a corporate firewall?

Edit: I found this page because the installer for the Treo 300 client software pointed me there when it completed...
    The site you reference leads you to the Business Connection section of SprintPCS. Within this section you can register your phone and download the Business Connection software which allows you to access your corporate email regardless of whether you run Notes or Outlook.

The software installs on your office PC (desktop or notebook) and requires no IT department assistance. The software is also designed to "tunnel" through port 80 of any corporate firewall. As such, no assistance or "permission" is needed to let the information pass through the firewall.

Once installed, the software permits access through any SprintPCS phone with an Internet browser, regardless of whether it is a phone with a Free and Clear Plan or the new PCS Vision plan, to your corporate email, calendar and one file folder (e.g. My Documents) that you designate. You can also access the same information with any Internet enabled device (e.g., home PC). Additionally, SprintPCS has recently enhanced the software so you can also establish other POP3 and IMAP email accounts and access those also.

The one neat thing about the software is that if you have the software running on your PC and an office colleague, also with a SprintPCS phone, has it running on his machine, you can grant each other rights. What this creates is a Peer to Peer environment where if your machine is off but his is on, you can still get to all of the functionality I mentioned above.

SprintPCS began offering this Business Connection software a few months back and it was initially free to the first X number of people who signed up. I have used it since launch on both the Outlook and Notes platforms and it works great.

According to the new PCS Vision price plans, Business Connection is an additional plan option for $5.00/mo. with the first three months for free.

I would definitely recommend using this option with the Treo as a seamless way to stay in touch with the office.
  3.    #3  
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the informative reply. I'll be getting that on Sunday, too
    This reads suspiciously like a PocketPC only app since the file formats are all supported under it.

Peter
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by pleahy
    This reads suspiciously like a PocketPC only app since the file formats are all supported under it.

Peter
    It seemed to me that the client was HTML and you used Blazer. I think all kinds of things though

Anyone know? What is the treo client software?
    In terms of attachments using the Business Connection software, I have found no problems opening attachments on office email when I am logged in remotely using the software on a browser such as IE 6.0. I, of course, cannot speak as of yet to how the Treo will handle attachments if you use it to log into your account on Business Connection.
    Originally posted by enagel
    In terms of attachments using the Business Connection software, I have found no problems opening attachments on office email when I am logged in remotely using the software on a browser such as IE 6.0. I, of course, cannot speak as of yet to how the Treo will handle attachments if you use it to log into your account on Business Connection.
    Can you elaborate on the types of attachments you were viewing and how they were rendered. The Treo has no MS Office apps or viewers that I know of
    As I indicated in the email on viewing attachments, I have only used Business Connection on a PC with IE 6.0 logged into my office PC and have been able to view email attachments (e.g., Word, Excel and PowerPoint) on the office email. As I noted in my email, I have no idea as of yet how the Treo will handle attachments when logged into Business Connection as I don't presently have a Treo to experiment with.
    As I indicated in the email on viewing attachments, I have only used Business Connection on a PC with IE 6.0 logged into my office PC and have been able to view email attachments (e.g., Word, Excel and PowerPoint) on the office email. As I noted in my email, I have no idea as of yet how the Treo will handle attachments when logged into Business Connection as I don't presently have a Treo to experiment with.
    I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say you are "logged in remotely."

"when I am logged in remotely using the software on a browser such as IE 6.0" vs "on a PC with IE 6.0 logged into my office PC."

If you are pulling up a browser window and accessing mail forwarded by a client you installed on your work PC, you aren't really logged in, unless you had to use the same account and password you use when you are actually in the office.

I guess the question is, does the PC that you are viewing the Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments on have MIcrosoft Office installed ? If the PC you are viewing the attachments on has these applications installed, then the situation is pretty normal. If the PC only has IE6.0 and you can open these attachments, there is hope for the Treo. I"ll read the user guide a bit more carefully but I'm looking for people that can actually open Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments without having the applications installed.
  10.    #10  
    I found a $29 VPN program for the palm.
    With this, I could do a remote NETWORK hotsync from anywhere.
    The outlook hotsync software that came with my treo will sync email.

Is this all I need?

I think the achillies heel may be the bandwidth required for a real network hotsync.... I did an IR sync with my laptop yesterday and it took 4 minutes.... I think my plan will have 8MB/month....

hmmmm - probably not the right tool for the job?

I also found a VNC client so that I can control machines at work from my Treo - amazing! (if it works)
    Originally posted by PCMusician

I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say you are "logged in remotely."

"when I am logged in remotely using the software on a browser such as IE 6.0" vs "on a PC with IE 6.0 logged into my office PC."

If you are pulling up a browser window and accessing mail forwarded by a client you installed on your work PC, you aren't really logged in, unless you had to use the same account and password you use when you are actually in the office.

I guess the question is, does the PC that you are viewing the Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments on have MIcrosoft Office installed ? If the PC you are viewing the attachments on has these applications installed, then the situation is pretty normal. If the PC only has IE6.0 and you can open these attachments, there is hope for the Treo. I"ll read the user guide a bit more carefully but I'm looking for people that can actually open Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments without having the applications installed.
    By logged in remotely, I mean using another PC from say home to access the office PC with Business Connection running on it. The PC I am using from say home does have MS Office running on it. I'm waiting to get a Treo to see how it handles access to email with attachments.
    Why do I have the feeling that Sprint's reference to opening attachments referrs to the Toshiba Pocket PC Phone ? I really would like to see the Treo open up Word, Excel, etc but I still don't believe it. People have been trying to open attachments on Palms for a long time and I havn't heard of any real "seamless" solutions.

THe 29 dollar VPN client sounds good but what type of VPN host are you calling Iggie ?
    Why do I have the feeling that Sprint's reference to opening attachments referrs to the Toshiba Pocket PC Phone ? I really would like to see the Treo open up Word, Excel, etc but I still don't believe it. People have been trying to open attachments on Palms for a long time and I havn't heard of any real "seamless" solutions.

THe 29 dollar VPN client sounds good but what type of VPN host are you calling Iggie ?
    You may be right about the PocketPC only. The documentation for Business Connection states: "The ability to view and download email attachments is available to users of the following desktop and handheld devices:

- MS Windows PC with MS IE 4.01 SP2 or later
    - MS Windows PC with Netscape 4.x or later
    - Pocket PC version 3.0 or 2002 installed with Pocket IE

You may be right about the PocketPC only. The documentation for Business Connection states: "The ability to view and download email attachments is available to users of the following desktop and handheld devices:

- MS Windows PC with MS IE 4.01 SP2 or later
    - MS Windows PC with Netscape 4.x or later
    - Pocket PC version 3.0 or 2002 installed with Pocket IE
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, the Treo will most likely not view MS Office attachments. At this point I would be shocked if it did. So the attachment viewing is presently confined to Pocket PC phones if I am correct. Maybe they should inform their sales staff of this. BUmmer... the Pocket PCs are the highest priced of them all. Maybe I'll just wait for Microsoft to buy Worldcom and come out with their own plan.
    My understanding of Business Connect is that it uses a proxy server to open the attachements and render them into basic HTML so you can view them in Blazer. I don't think you can edit, but at least you can view them. As a result, they cleanly dodge the need for any readers or translators to be installed on the actual device. This would also explain why the same Business Connect technology will work on multiple devices. Not the ideal solution, but relatively clever.
  16.    #16  

THe 29 dollar VPN client sounds good but what type of VPN host are you calling Iggie ? [/B]
    Not really sure. PPTP something..