1.    #1  
    Ok.. here is what I have on pricing.

Standard Plans (1 year contract):

49.99 = 350 Anytime minutes & 2M
    59.99 = 500 Anytime minutes & 2M
    74.99 = 750 Anytime minutes & 2M
    89.99 = 1000 Anytime minutes & 2M
    84.99 = 750 Anytime minutes & 8M

You can purchase an additional 6M for $10, 12M for $20, & 50M for $40.

Promotional Plans (2 year commitment)
    44.99 = 500 Anytime minutes & 2M
    59.99 = 800 Anytime minutes & 2M
    89.99 = 2000 Anytime minutes & 2M

You can purchase an additional 6M for $10, 12M for $20, & 50M for $40.
    Plans 79.99 & up customers can add 2nd line for no additional MRC w/ shared minutes.

Promotion Plan II (1 year commitment)
    59.99 = 500 Anytime minutes & 2M (first 3 months 49.99)
    69.99 = 500 Anytime minutes & 8M (first 3 months $49.99 - yes the same price as the 2M).

Hope this helps...
    Roger
    I know it's a Palm and I know it's color and I know it's "high-speed," but how can these Sprint plans compete with what T-Mobile (aka Voicestream) supposedly will offer for the Danger Hiptop (aka Sidekick) when it comes out in October: $39.99/month for unlimited data as well as 200 anytime and 1,000 off-peak minutes? (This according to today's Wall Street Journal review.)

To be competitive, Sprint must lower its rates and/or offer a reasonable unlimited data plan, no?
    in this thread i posted the numbers from the official sprint broschure on it...the guy at the store i was at wasn't fully aware of what other plans were available and made no mention of these promos you posted. i'll have to go back by and ask him about them...
    Originally posted by DougI
    I know it's a Palm and I know it's color and I know it's "high-speed," but how can these Sprint plans compete with what T-Mobile (aka Voicestream) supposedly will offer for the Danger Hiptop (aka Sidekick) when it comes out in October: $39.99/month for unlimited data as well as 200 anytime and 1,000 off-peak minutes? (This according to today's Wall Street Journal review.)

To be competitive, Sprint must lower its rates and/or offer a reasonable unlimited data plan, no?

Um, Voicestream's nationwide data network doesn't allow Palm OS, only Windows CE, according to their site as of today. Not a very useful comparison, I live in a Windows free environment.
    Originally posted by longday
    Um, Voicestream's nationwide data network doesn't allow Palm OS, only Windows CE, according to their site as of today. Not a very useful comparison, I live in a Windows free environment.
    I don't know what you were reading on Voicestream (BTW, you should really start reading t-mobile.com, instead, since they are being rebranded) but if by "doesn't allow" you actually mean "doesn't advertise on their website" ... then you are correct.

Otherwise, you might want to tell the few hundred Treo 270 owners on this board that are Voicestream customers about that.

I'm wirelessly synchronizing my email right now. On my Palm-based Treo 270. With my desktop Outlook at work, behind our corporate firewall. On Voicestream. With their data service - I'm not even going through a separate ISP.

It all works quite nicely, I must say.

-Doug
    >I'm wirelessly synchronizing my email right now. On my Palm-based Treo 270. With my desktop Outlook at work, behind our corporate firewall. On Voicestream. With their data service - I'm not even going through a separate ISP.

How do you sync behind your firewall? That is: how do you get from the wild and wooly internet where your phone is to your exchange server without something like VPN/PPTP which I didn't think existed until Palm OS 5....

Can you do a Real Sync or just email sync?

Treomail?

Something else?

How do I get to my corporate exchange server to get email on my Treo 300? Sprint's business packages might do this but are very expensive I'd expect. Treomail says they are GSM only (at least for now)...
    Anybody on this thread that is excited about the new 3G network probably isn't doing it to hear the pin drop. The data minutes allowed under the lower priced plans (2 megs) will most likely be consumed after a few days of HTML browsing and use of the great new capabilities that stream kilobytes at your handheld faster than you can count your pennies.

I for one am extremely concerned about running up huge bills and welcome any discussion regarding the target market (business ?) and willingness to pay these prices.

I can do alot of surfing and email with my Handspring 270 at 39.95 a month for 450 anytime minutes through Cingular. The service is currently cancelled but unless I'm convinced the Sprint network really delivers world class class quality and seamless operation, I'll probably sell or return the unactivated Handspring 300 that I have charging.

Are they rolling out Sunday because that's typically a low volume day for phone service (except for Mother's Day) so the activations get done without busies ? As long as they have a 14 day trial period, I'm game to pay for 2 weeks worth of service and make sure the client that forwards messages from Outlook works correctly.
    Iggy, I believe that your exchange server doesn't even know Treo mail exists unless you have the enterprise edition. As far as I can see, when I hooked up Treo mail on my 270 I told it which Outlook user profile to use and it began forwarding messages to the Treo mail website, and the email notification feature worked well also. We use a proxy server and firewall and Treo mail forwarded messages (I'm running Windows XP and Outlook XP in a large Active Directory domain) even with the Microsoft firewall client enabled.

My only issue with the 270 was that the Treo configuration ulility didn't connect to the internet and Handspring's answer was to install the software on a PC at home. Bad answer if they want to make it in the business world. Firewalls and proxy servers are a fact of life and ours essentially restricts traffic to port 80 http traffic. I pointed out to Handspring that Treomail got thru the firewall without a problem so they should work on their configuration utility a bit more, but they are probably spending their time on Treo 300 issues. I noticed that deleting messages from Outlook deleted them on the treo during a wireless sync (good) but I don't think the reveres was true.

Overall, I was very impressed and if Sprint doesn't have the same functionality or better, I'll be disappointed. The salesperson at the Sprint store said I could view any attachment. That implies attachments can download if you believe the claim. If tht's true better put a cap on your messahe size unless you want to sell your house. I'm sure you can view Powerpoint slides with it's virtual Powerpoint viewer (ha ha) although I would expect jpg viewing or rendering via a server based app on the Sprint side.
    DougI wrote:

Agreed. At their current pricing, Sprint's basically milking their captive audience, early adopters, giving themselves slack to introduce further price cuts down the road.

The $59.99 plan is pretty much in line with my current Sprint plan. 2 megs is pretty skimpy for data, but I currently use my Kyo for email and don't really surf the web much (looking up information once or twice a day for only a few minutes).

T-Mobile is a better value, but I prefer the Treo form factor over the Sidekick by an order of magnitude. I don't like headsets (esp. headset-only phones), and I really like my PalmOS apps and games.
    Don't forget on pricing, if you work for a large enough organization that has a contract with them, you can get discounted pricing up to 25% any data/voice fees. These will work with the $99/month plan.

Also, you can buy a Treo and a data card and have them both share the unlimited data as long as they are on the same account. You just need to purchase voice minutes on top of that $99 and that's where expense accounts come in.
    Originally posted by dtoombs

I'm wirelessly synchronizing my email right now. On my Palm-based Treo 270. With my desktop Outlook at work, behind our corporate firewall. On Voicestream. With their data service - I'm not even going through a separate ISP.

dtoombs,

So are you a beta tester of the GPRS patch?
    Here's the pricing I found today:

One Year Contract:

$49.99 350 anytime minutes, 3650 night/weekend, 2MB Data
    $59.99 500 anytime, 4500 night/wkend, 2MB Data
    $74.99 750 anytime, 5750 night/wkend, 2MB
    $89.99 1000 anytime, 7000 night/wkend, 2MB

$84.99 750 anytime, 5750 night/wkend, 8MB
    $99.99 1000 anytime, 7000 night/wkend, 8MB
    $119.99 1300 anytime, 8700 night/wkend, 8MB

Additional 6MB for $10/mo
    12MB for $20/mo
    50MB for $40/mo

For laptop card users:

$39.99 for 20MB, $79.99 for 70MB

It will be interesting to see what SprintPCS does in markets where Verizon has their data network running and offering all you can eat for $99.99/mo.
    Originally posted by enagel
    Here's the pricing I found today:

It will be interesting to see what SprintPCS does in markets where Verizon has their data network running and offering all you can eat for $99.99/mo.
    I believe that the Sprint price list has $99/mo unlimited data too.
    Forgive me if that's what you meant
    Originally posted by Iggie
    How do you sync behind your firewall?
    Basejet, man! It rocks!

Some people get all wrapped-around-the-axle about it because it requires your mail go through an external server when you issue a sync request. But if that's not an earth-shattering thing for you (they address this in their security documents) you might like it.

A small agent installs on your desktop.

The Basejet palm app installs on your Treo.

When you're out of the office, you press Sync on the basejet screen. Basejet connects - via whatever Internet connectivity you have on your palm, to their systems, and then to the agent on your desktop - to your desktop Outlook. New messages are brought down to your Palm. Anything you composed on the Treo is sent (and ends up going into your Outlook sent items on your desktop). Anything you've deleted out of Basejet also gets deleted out of Outlook. And in a future release, read/unread indicators will be synchronized between the Palm and Outlook.

Oh, and did I mention it can handle attachments?

It's beta, so all the functions aren't there yet -- but as a beta app, it is far more usable than most apps you have to pay for!

For me, it's the only application. In Outlook, I have 7 different POP accounts that I download, a boatload of rule filters for mailing lists, spam, etc. It's highly cumbersome to duplicate this on the Palm, I tried with Eudora and I ended up spending probably about a third of the time I was on the Wireless Web downloading newsletters, spam, and other things I don't want on my PDA. Since I've got awesome rules processing in Outlook, my Palm immediately benefits from that as well since the only thing that gets synchronized are items that managed to survive the filtering process and actually make it into my desktop inbox.

Highly recommended .... http://www.basejet.com

-Doug
    Originally posted by dtoombs

Highly recommended .... http://www.basejet.com

-Doug
    Verrrrrrry interesting! Is there a way to have the desktop software run on a machine at work, if I sync my treo w/my laptop @ home? I can connect my laptop to the network via DSL and PPTP/VPN but it's usually not connected.

It seems to use SMS a lot. Do we get all you can eat SMS for free as part of Sprint3G?
    Originally posted by Iggie
    Verrrrrrry interesting! Is there a way to have the desktop software run on a machine at work, if I sync my treo w/my laptop @ home?
    I don't know for sure. It's free when it's in Beta, so just give it a download and see if it will work for you.

Here's what I do:

1. Sync at work: outlook contacts/calendar (no sync with corporate email though)

2. Sync at home: outlook contacts/calendar, Basejet email (Outlook downloads 6 POP accounts plus my corporate mail via POP all into my home inbox), avantgo, etc. etc.

The system works great for me. I have all the data I need, in all the places I need it. If I'm out on sales calls all day, I simply sync Basejet - which checks in with the home system (which has been downloading all of my personal and corporate email all day long) and updates itself with any new messages.

It seems to use SMS a lot. Do we get all you can eat SMS for free as part of Sprint3G?
    I have no idea how Sprint is going to price their SMS - I'm on Voicestream. But it's not required that you use the SMS notification function. I used it for a few days -- it's nice, but I can do without it and just press "Sync" every now and then.
    Last edited by dtoombs; 08/08/2002 at 11:02 PM.
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    [As long as they have a 14 day trial period, I'm game to pay for 2 weeks worth of service and make sure the client that forwards messages from Outlook works correctly. [/B]
    Re the 14 day trial period, the activation fee of about $35 is not refundable, and I believe they do not prorate the month. So you could be out $70 (or more with a higher price plan) to try it for 14 days.
    Kami
    Originally posted by Kami

Re the 14 day trial period, the activation fee of about $35 is not refundable, and I believe they do not prorate the month. So you could be out $70 (or more with a higher price plan) to try it for 14 days.
    Thanks Kami... the next question is how they will be at changing plans, i.e. start with the cheapo then move up as usage patterns become clearer. If I go back to Cingular and the Treo 270, I got a "free" Palm M100 which is probably good for about 80 bucks on eBay if I'm lucky.

I wonder if they (Sprint) are playing some games by leaking some pretty high rates during the "soft launch" then finalizing with slightly high rates to create the illusion of a good deal.

I checked the Blazer on the Treo 300 and like the 270, you can turn images off and minimize color depth. It's the email I'm worried about.
    One other thought on the apparent fact that you have to switch rate plans to use PCS Vision. SprintPCS has been under a great deal of negative pressure by the stock analysts over the last quarter especially regarding the number of new subscribers or adds to their service. PCS' response has been that they believe the new 1XRTT services will bring new subscribers in and hence their additions will increase.

Dependent upon how PCS calculates churn (a calculation involving the number of subscribers added and departing) as well as additions to service, I'm wondering how they will account for existing subscribers that switch service from an old rate plan to a new PCS Vision plan. It will be interesting to see whether someone who switches plans is counted as a new subscriber or not.
    Originally posted by enagel
    One other thought on the apparent fact that you have to switch rate plans to use PCS Vision. SprintPCS has been under a great deal of negative pressure by the stock analysts over the last quarter especially regarding the number of new subscribers or adds to their service. PCS' response has been that they believe the new 1XRTT services will bring new subscribers in and hence their additions will increase.

Dependent upon how PCS calculates churn (a calculation involving the number of subscribers added and departing) as well as additions to service, I'm wondering how they will account for existing subscribers that switch service from an old rate plan to a new PCS Vision plan. It will be interesting to see whether someone who switches plans is counted as a new subscriber or not.
    Having worked in their marketing department at one time, I can say that at that time they counted plan changes as new customers, as well as new revenue and new commission. The company is only fooling itself by paying new commissions unless the increase in revenue is fairly substantial, which it may be. I still maintain that the viewing of attachments could set them apart from the Blackberries and Palm i705's of the world. It's still unclear how and what kinds of attachments will be viewable, but it should boost kilobyte sales if true.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast