Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Went to the local Sprint store and bought a Treo 300. Can't activate until Monday morning, they say, but at least I can transfer over my info and use the pda functions until then. First impressions are the same that I have with the 270- small, light, and a very cool looking silver, though I prefer the gun metal gray of the 270. It comes with a vehicle power adaptor. It also fits in the swivel holster for the 270 which I picked up at CompUSA. After I have it up and running, I'll report back.
    iJITSU! Couldn't hold out for the Kyo 7135, huh? I'm still a 7135 man, but I am anxious to have a hands-on look at the Treo 300. Although I jumped ship I never stopped admiring the Treo 300 as a well-designed, high-quality smartphone. Let me know what you think, as far as the differences/enhancements from the 270 to the 300. (I heard there was a great polyphonic ringer for one thing).

Have fun with your Treo 300 old buddy!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    iJITSU:

How's the service??

I also live in Houston, and would like to know if the Sprint service is significantly better than Voicestream's service here?

Is this why you went with the Treo300 instead of the Treo270?

Thanks for the info
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    OK here we go-

The 300 is nice. But not nice enough for me to keep. Signal strength is poor at my house while my Cingular Motorola has all five bars. First time I tried to dial I got a failure and reset. Sound is much better with the polyphonic speaker and the screen is just like the 270- brighter upper right hand corner and all. Alas, after looking at a Clie screen for the last month, the screen looks pretty bad (but good for a phone). I am going to wait it out until the 7135 comes and try again. I read somewhere that a Sprint rep said it was coming to them in a few weeks. Hard to believe that, though.
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    OK here we go-

The 300 is nice. But not nice enough for me to keep. I am going to wait it out until the 7135 comes and try again.
    (in Darth Vader voice) Luuuuuuuuuke... it (the 7135) is your destiny.
    iJITSU, you and the Treo (pick a number) are just not meant to be! But do you think that the 7135 on Sprint PCS will be much better than the Treo 300? Maybe Verizon would be better in your area?

What kind of "return policy" does Sprint PCS have on the Treo 300 anyway? If it's an easy process I could have a little bit of time with one, just for fun of course.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    my understanding is that you have two weeks to try out the phone/service and if it doesn't work, you can return the phone/cancel the service without penalty. For $500, I want to be wowed. The treo doesn't do it for me and I've given up on that current line of device. In fact, by the time the 7135 gets here, the ARM Palms will probably be out as well. The 7135 will be competing (in my mind) against those devices. I want a converged device, but I have found that I really enjoy a hi res screen, so we'll have to wait and see if the new Kyo will persuade me to leave hi res behind. If anything can, I think it will. Of course, eventually a hi res smartphone will be released by someone...
    I have cingular now, and the signal is pretty spotty at my house. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

I will be using the phone/PDA 98% of the time at home or work (or in between). I want the service to be GREAT at those places. That's more important than some minor differences in screen resolutions and size, in my opinion.

So, any idea about the difference between Voicestream and Sprint in Houston (I work/live near the Medical Center)?

Thanks.
    iJITSU wrote:
    The 300 is nice. But not nice enough for me to keep. Signal strength is poor at my house while my Cingular Motorola has all five bars.

Are you comparing phones or networks? And are you going to try the 1xRTT on Monday? Would the Kyo be any different on the same network?

I want a converged device, but I have found that I really enjoy a hi res screen, so we'll have to wait and see if the new Kyo will persuade me to leave hi res behind. If anything can, I think it will. Of course, eventually a hi res smartphone will be released by someone.

I think the biggest problem is that higher resolutions are more appropriate on larger screens. A screen of the Treo's size would likely be unreadable at 320 x 320. Larger screens mean bigger phones, like the Thera.

It'll be interesting to play with the 7135 when it comes out. It looks a little to big for my tastes (coming from my current 6035, it's smaller but not smaller enough), but the only way to really know is to handle one in person. I really love the size and weight of the Treo 180s that I've handled in stores, and look forward to using a phone that I can actually put in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    TexBear, of the people that I've spoken with, those who have Voicestream like their service but do complain that indoors the reception is poor (of course a mobile was designed for outdoor use). I have only heard bad things about Sprint, partly regarding reception but mostly regarding horrible customer service and constant billing errors. In regards to Cingular, I've never had a problem with signal strength with them in any area of Houston or all the way up 45N to Dallas. You must live a ways from a tower. Things to consider: you can purchase the 300 and use it for two weeks. If the service/device doesn't work for you, you can return and cancel without penalty. Then you could go with the 270 and Voicestream and have 72hours to determine if you are satisfied. Maybe Sprint will be better after Sunday (reception wise). Before you do anything, you can also go to epinions and read others reviews of Sprint and Voicestream service in Houston.

Gameboy70,

I was comparing solutions, not just phones or networks. My point was that on Cingular's TDMA network I had great signal strength while the 300 was poor on Sprint. I'd rather have a reliable phone and pda than an unreliable converged device. When I say that I'll wait for the Kyo, I mean that I will wait for it and try it on Sprint or Verizon, whoever releases it first. If Sprint and the Kyo suck, I'll try on Verizon, or vice versa. I believe that, since both the 270 and 300 had weak signal strength, the issue may be the Treo series antenna and not with the network. Hard to tell, but I'll give it another shot when the Kyo arrives. In regards to hi res, I believe a 240/240 or 320/320 screen would in fact be readable on a slightly smaller screen. It's great on my Clie and the Treo's screen is only slightly smaller. And I totally agree that pocketability/mobility is paramount in a mobile phone, so hopefully the kyo won't be too big. Lastly, no I am not waiting until Monday to try the 3G (2.5G). I'll let others put it through its paces and wait for feedback.
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    Things to consider: you can purchase the 300 and use it for two weeks. If the service/device doesn't work for you, you can return and cancel without penalty.
    I wish this were true, but I don't think it is. The activation fee of $35 is not refundable, and the first month's service fee is not prorated. My understanding is that if you try it and don't like it, you do not get back either of these. Maybe this isn't technically a penalty, but it feels that way to the wallet...
    Kami