Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by the_homer
    Unfortunately, Sprint has stopped all data plans from being activated until Sunday. This is true. This is result of Sprint giving all their sales reps new phones and having them activate them on the same day. I think they found a few problems with their system and are trying to solve this problem before they release this to the general public.

homer
    I'm on the phone with *2 right now and have some guy who doesn't seem to really know what he is doing, but he is in the process of trying to activate 3g data for me. I already have the voice service activated (turns out it was activated all along on my old plan but they forgot to program the phone) so at least I have voice service now on my 3g phone, albiet under my old night and weekend plan (Which I actually prefer to the current 3g pricing -- ouch).

Plan I am setting up as we speak: 500 / 4500 / 8 megs for $89.99 (this is a 'shared plan' with two phones on the same minutes etc).

will post back if I actually get it activated and test out 3g data
    I was able to purchase a Treo 300 at the Rockville Pike (Rockville MD) Sprint store....but they wouldn't even try to activate the phone. I will try on the phone after I charge the battery.

Now I will try and figure out the ins and outs of the new plans....the person at Sprint didn't have a clue.

I also have to change my plan completely because I have two family members sharing minutes....another unanticipated complication.

I will check in tomorrow if I get the phone activated.

First impression...coming from a Kyocera Smartphone....is how light and bright it is.

Jim Zurer
    Washington DC
    500 / 4500 / 8 megs for $89.99
    The brochure shows 500/4500/2mb (per phone) for $79.99. Did you add 6MB to each phone for $10, or only to one?
    My sprint store doesn't have any of the phones but I did pick up a flyer with some rates listed on it. Here they are if anyone is interested

$49.99: 350 anytime, 4000 total, 2 mb

$59.99: 500 anytime, 5000 total, 2 mb

$74.99: 750 anytime, 6500 total, 2 mb

$89.99: 1000 anytime, 8000 total, 2 mb

For an extra $10 a month you can add an extra 6 mb of data to any of these plans, which I would think is needed with the treo. One thing that bothers me, however, is that it says that it will cost $20 per month to share minutes with additional phones. I have read news reports saying that sprint is going to allow sharing minutes between 2 phones at no extra charge. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Does anyone out there know where I can get specifications on the Treo 300. Such as memory and other info. Sprint has nothing I can find. Same with Handspring.

Thank you
    I bought my Treo 300 from the Sprint Store in Delray Beach, FL. I called all the local stores and they only had models for display. The people in the Delray Beach store did not put the units on display and sold them instead. Lucky me. I was able to activate my old Free and Clear plan allowing me to use basic cell phone functions. I plan on activating the data services as soon as I can.

The telephone support was very kind when I attempted to activate the phone.

K-Boogie
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by work_permit

The brochure shows 500/4500/2mb (per phone) for $79.99. Did you add 6MB to each phone for $10, or only to one?
    Actually my plan now is $89 for:

850 any time
    5250 night and weekend (9pm)
    8 megs

between two phones. They told me that the 8 megs was shared between two phones (8 megs total) but they could be wrong. Sprint does not seem to know what they are doing yet or know what exactly is going on with the 3g. Granted though, I had this activated on Friday even before the 3g was supposed to go live, so this could explain the confusion and lack of info.
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by kboogie
    I bought my Treo 300 from the Sprint Store in Delray Beach, FL. I called all the local stores and they only had models for display. The people in the Delray Beach store did not put the units on display and sold them instead. Lucky me. I was able to activate my old Free and Clear plan allowing me to use basic cell phone functions. I plan on activating the data services as soon as I can.

The telephone support was very kind when I attempted to activate the phone.

K-Boogie
    You'll have to swtich to an entirely new service plan if you want to activate data. You cannot add data to your old free and clear plan

Sprint Treo 300
    http://www.pcsvision.com/explore.html?128

PPL I want to ask you : you got your Treo 300 and ,
    what do you think about switching to Thera Toshiba 2032 ???
    ( Money is not problem ).
    Hard to choose between
    Treo 300 and Toshiba 2032
    Originally posted by sprint
    what do you think about switching to Thera Toshiba 2032 ???
    ( Money is not problem ).
    It probably depends on which OS you like better. Treo, of course, uses Palm OS while the Toshiba 2032 uses the Pocket PC 2002 OS. Which OS do you prefer?
    what do you think about switching to Thera Toshiba 2032
    I saw a thera at verizon. I didn't really get to play with it, because it had crashed. But the form factor seems to really stink as a phone. The treo at least feels somwthing like a phone when I have it up to my face. The thera felt like I was talking into a pda. Definetly heavier and clumsier.
    Originally posted by work_permit
    The treo at least feels somwthing like a phone when I have it up to my face. The thera felt like I was talking into a pda. Definetly heavier and clumsier.
    That's becuase you were talking into a PDA !!!

The Treo is phone first, PDA second.

The Thera is PDA first, phone second.

If you are a big phone user and a light PDA user, go with the Treo.

If you are a big PDA user and a light phone user, go with the Thera.
    I have a couple of questions that someone can hopefully answer for me.

I'm seriously contemplating upgrading my Prism (with a Sprint Digital Link) in on a Treo 300. Every time I've upgraded to a new Visor in the past I've used the Handspring Backup Module - which has worked rather slickly, to make the new one look just like the old one I used to use.) I understand I can't do this with the Treo, for the obvious reason, but do I just use the backup conduit to backup the Prism and the restore to the Treo? Or will it be more complicated than that to get my stuff from old to new machine?

Can I transfer my existing phone number (from the Sprint Digital Link) to the new Treo 300?

Sorry, guess I had three questions - the deal that lets you share minutes with a second phone, do both phones have to be 3G, or can I use it with the new Treo and my wife's existing Samsung?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    I can answer one of your questions. You can download a trail version of Backup Buddy and back up all your Prism stuff to the desktop. Then You can do a restore to the Treo 300 when you hotsync. Still, I would recommend that you install all your third party apps again manually top the Treo 300. there are system files and VisporPhone files that will cause problems if downloaded to the Treo.
    Originally posted by jdhill

That's becuase you were talking into a PDA !!!

The Treo is phone first, PDA second.

The Thera is PDA first, phone second.

If you are a big phone user and a light PDA user, go with the Treo.

If you are a big PDA user and a light phone user, go with the Thera.
    The first thing that happens when you power up a new Treo is you get a screen with a Palm logo. Not many phone do that. How do you conclude the Treo is a phone first ? If you opened the lid and heard the great new polyphonic waterfall chime, would you say it was a musical synthesizer first ? As far as I'm concerned, when you assign the calendar button to the home applications function, you have 50/50 phone-palm OS device.

I agree that the Thera is a PDA with phone afterthought
    Well the phone part of the Treo 300 is working and it seems to be doing fine. When I activated this morning (around 9 am), they told me that I may not be able to access the data network for 15 hours after activation. I don't know why. It is 2 pm and the data access still doesn't work.

I am also confused about the plans...especially since I had two added phones on my old Sprint PCS plan. I decided to separate myself for and sign up for a month to month plan until I see how things shake down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also what about e-mail? Is there an alternative to Treo Mail?

Thanks.

Jim Zurer
    Washington DC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12