1.    #1  
    So I have this problem. Everything re-installs...takes 45 minutes per hotsync! I'm using mac OS 9 with Palm 4.0. Does anyone have a clue?
    Are you using HotSync Manager alone to install or backup the Treo/Visor? Or do you also/alternatively use something else, like BackupBuddy, Pilot Install, maybe Intellisync, etc.?

I've read somewhere (maybe on these boards, maybe some other boards, maybe I made it up, don't remember) that alternative (non-out-of-box) synchronizers, like BackupBuddy, do the synchronization differently than HotSync, and sometimes the deleted applications in your "Archive" folder get reinstalled on your device under rare circumstances.

Oh, wait a minute. Looks like BackupBuddy is Windows only. You said Mac. Hrm. Well, never mind about BB then. Maybe one of the others?

Oh, wait one more minute. I recall a flap about Handspring Mac users needing a special Palm Desktop 2.6.1 from the HS site, and not Palm Desktop 4.0 from Palm's site. You said you were using Palm Desktop 4.0. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    Originally posted by gclin
    So I have this problem. Everything re-installs...takes 45 minutes per hotsync! I'm using mac OS 9 with Palm 4.0. Does anyone have a clue?
    This happens to me every one in a while, maybe twice a month. I hit cancel shortly after it starts when I see the apps copying over, and then sync again. This always solves the problem for me.
  4.    #4  
    I called handspring and they said to cancel out when this happens and then delete the backup folder. When it syncs, the treo will replace the backup folder. I tried this and it seems to work.
    I recommend moving your backup folder rather than deleting it. Delete it only when you know it is repopulated with the good stuff.

MetaD.