Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We all have a tendency to complain (some, like me, alot), but folks deserve a pat on the back when they do things right as well. My Treo 90, after two weeks, start having the :lost stylus" routine, as it fell out of the stylus holder. I sent an email to Handspring on 7/29, had a response to call custoemr support on 7/30; they arranged for an advance shipment replacement on 7/31; the unit was in hand on 8/2.

For a non-critical repair (in other words, I still had my PDA, just no stylus because of the loose holder) this is a great response time. This is only my second Handspring (my daughter still has my original Visor DX); it developed cracks around the stylus holder, and although nearly a year old at the time, Handspring advance shipped a replacement back then as well. Good Job!
    I fully agree...I called regarding the LCD replacement on 7/26 and had the replacement in-hand on 7/30! I was certainly impressed with the speed in which they handled my request.
    Ditto here also. I would suggest anyone who has the loose stylus problem to call Handspring and ask for a replacement. The new Treo 90 does NOT have the loose stylus problem. The stylus fits in the Treo 90 very snug and tight. Thanks Handspring for great customer service!!!!!!
    Hi,
    I bought a treo 90 on the 24th of July at Future Shop, and I went back and exchanged it on the 28th because my stylus was falling out...
    Since then it seems that it's looser than it was when it came out of the box, but it's not slipping.. although i'm being much more cautious when putting taking out and putting the stylus back in the unit..
    For the people who posted.. I'm wondering if it was worth sending it back to Handspring to get the unit fixed/replaced..
    If my stylus starts falling out again, should I should just get over it and do that electical tape thing suggested in another thread, or call Handspring?
    Also, it seems my battery is getting used up quickly.. but maybe it's just me.. I don't leave my treo plugged in all the time.. in the past week i've maybe used it for about 2 hours in total, and the battery indicator said it was down by almost 1/4.. i thought it was supposed to last for 10 days..
    Thanks for any help/advice..
    I would return it. As I said in my earlier post, Handspring was great about exchanging mine. Good luck.

rjmoose
    Alright..thanks.
    Hopefully the stylus won't come loose again, though.. but if it does I'll take it up with them.
    -david
    As a fellow Canadian I must forwarn you....You will get a replacement from them (I went straight to Handspring because I bought my Treo last week and it still had the lose stylus problem..old stock) but sending it back is a bit of a problem...I took mine to Purolator which ships on behalf of Airborne Express in Canada and had to fill out quite a few forms to "import" it into the states...not to mention the government tried to charge duty on my replacement...I already paid duty when I bought the original unit!!! grr...
    Alex.

P.S. Handspring's support itself was speedy, effective and wonderful, it's just the stupid governments.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    My do-it-yourself stylus "fix" coughed up the ghost. I called Handspring yesterday, Wed, around noon. Super courteous folks- told me I should see the replacement 3-5 business days. Less than 27 hours later, the replacement was in hand (east coast). THAT's a level of customer service I've not seen in years! Talk about impressive!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    to hear about the good service you guys have been getting.
    My Treo 90 had the screen black-out problem a few days ago.
    But, I had purchased the 3 year extra coverage from Best Buy so I went back to the store I bought it from. I had no problem returning it and in 15min. had a new one in-hand. So I have to give some kudos to BB, I was expecting to have to fight for a replacement.
    Also, I had installed Backup Buddy, which worked great.
    I synced my new Treo and it automatically restored all my programs and files. Great software!! I highly recommend it.
    Jason
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    We all have a tendency to complain (some, like me, alot), but folks deserve a pat on the back when they do things right as well. My Treo 90, after two weeks, start having the :lost stylus" routine, as it fell out of the stylus holder. I sent an email to Handspring on 7/29, had a response to call custoemr support on 7/30; they arranged for an advance shipment replacement on 7/31; the unit was in hand on 8/2.

For a non-critical repair (in other words, I still had my PDA, just no stylus because of the loose holder) this is a great response time. This is only my second Handspring (my daughter still has my original Visor DX); it developed cracks around the stylus holder, and although nearly a year old at the time, Handspring advance shipped a replacement back then as well. Good Job!
    ----I called Handspring Friday morning (16th). Stylus replacement unit is on the way---but I had to pay $25 (nonrefundable) for advance shipping. Did you guys have to pay shipping to get a unit w/o the stylus problem???
    Nope, I just said the problem appeared to be a common one and what would Handspring do about it and the lady at the other end said that they would ship me out another unit...free of charge...
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    I guess it depends on how long you have the unit for. If you have had the unit for about a month or so, call and get back and demand a refund.

Originally posted by tallmarvin

----I called Handspring Friday morning (16th). Stylus replacement unit is on the way---but I had to pay $25 (nonrefundable) for advance shipping. Did you guys have to pay shipping to get a unit w/o the stylus problem???
    I purchased my Treo 90 on 6/25/02. Had the loose stylus problem within 2 weeks. I returned it to Handspring and received a replacement 7/15/02. I was very happy with the service and the new "re-engineered" stylus holder. Today, however, when I was removing my stylus, it had an attached black adhesive foam pad approximately 10 x 5 mm. Apparently, this foam pad is the "fix" Handspring installed in the newer Treo 90's. I tried to stuff the pad back into the slot, but it certainly did not fit as well as before. Now, my stylus is very loose.

Here we go again. Overall, however, I love the Treo 90. This certainly increases the hassle factor and has to decrease the profitability of Handspring. I live in the warm South, but the Treo 90 was about 72 degrees F. So, I don't think that it was heat.

I guess I will be calling Handspring again for another replacement.
    Originally posted by tantousha

P.S. Handspring's support itself was speedy, effective and wonderful, it's just the stupid governments.
    I received a replacement in one day. I'm in Toronto. Nobody asked for duty.

Something else - looking at my original 90 and the replacement side by side, the replacement has a noticeably better and brighter display (a whiter background, a lot like a Palm 111c). So even though my "old" 90 is pretty recent, it appears that Handspring has made some improvements, because the new display is a lot better.
    I noticed the same exact thing about the display
    Originally posted by rjmoose
    I noticed the same exact thing about the display
    Yeah. It's a better PDA. Another generation, I guess.
    I guess we should post both the good and the bad.

I've had a Treo 90 for 3 weeks and this morning, wham -- no backlight. (it's almost impossible to see the screen - even in sunlight without the backlight).

Anyway - the service from Handspring was horrible. I called and after 10 minutes on hold reached someone who really wasn't interested in much. Now I've been working w/ PDA's since the Newton 100 and am fairly savvy. This guy walks me through 3 series of resets (soft, warm and hard) like I'm an ***** (even after I told him up front that the backlight was toast).

With the 3rd reset (hard) I brought up the fact that this would toast my data and he said "oh yea, you better do a hot synch first" -- geez.

Then he tells me it will be 5 business days before receiving a replacement because they have to 'screen' every unit before it leaves to make sure it doesn't have a backlight problem (which indicates to me they haven't fixed the problem - just screening for it better).

I told him that 5 days wasn't acceptable (as I'm going out of town on business) and he says they'll try to get out out sooner. When I tell him that's unacceptable - dead air. I told him to put the case on hold and I'll call Staples -- in which he said that since it's been over 14 days they won't honor an exchange -- and then he asks me for my credit card number inferring I'm going to steal the darned Treo that doesn't have a backlight.

Long story short - called the manager at Staples - they were more than willing to bend their 14 day policy and took care of me within 2 minutes of going into the store - already had the unit ready -- horray for Staples - boo for Handspring!
    Originally posted by David Vitale
    I guess we should post both the good and the bad.

I've had a Treo 90 for 3 weeks and this morning, wham -- no backlight. (it's almost impossible to see the screen - even in sunlight without the backlight).

Anyway - the service from Handspring was horrible. I called and after 10 minutes on hold reached someone who really wasn't interested in much. Now I've been working w/ PDA's since the Newton 100 and am fairly savvy. This guy walks me through 3 series of resets (soft, warm and hard) like I'm an ***** (even after I told him up front that the backlight was toast).

With the 3rd reset (hard) I brought up the fact that this would toast my data and he said "oh yea, you better do a hot synch first" -- geez.

Then he tells me it will be 5 business days before receiving a replacement because they have to 'screen' every unit before it leaves to make sure it doesn't have a backlight problem (which indicates to me they haven't fixed the problem - just screening for it better).

I told him that 5 days wasn't acceptable (as I'm going out of town on business) and he says they'll try to get out out sooner. When I tell him that's unacceptable - dead air. I told him to put the case on hold and I'll call Staples -- in which he said that since it's been over 14 days they won't honor an exchange -- and then he asks me for my credit card number inferring I'm going to steal the darned Treo that doesn't have a backlight.

Long story short - called the manager at Staples - they were more than willing to bend their 14 day policy and took care of me within 2 minutes of going into the store - already had the unit ready -- horray for Staples - boo for Handspring!
    I'm glad Staples resolved it for you. I have one question. Could the Tech Support guy at Handspring have sensed some attitude from you? I ask this for two reasons. The first is that I pick up on attitude in the way you've written your story, and secondly, having worked closely with telephone tech support people, I know how they handle calls that they think exhibit attitude.

I received my replacement in a single day - an international delivery. I was real sweet on the phone with Tech Support and I even complimented the guy and his company. Sugar goes a long way, especially with techies.

No offense intended, just an observation.
    Well...here's the latest.

New Treo came via Airborne Express yesterday morning, indeed, a brighter display and all (hooray!) and a stylus that wouldn't fall out. So I did the sync thing, moved the data to the new Treo, and (although some apps got a little screwy), I figured that all was well...

...not...

Guess what...Onew hour of use later...*loose stylus again on the new unit*!!!

I was a little heated, but when I spoke to the tech, I felt a little bettter. He was very courteous and was willing to send another unit. Even better, when I asked about the prior charge on my credit card he promised to talk to his supervisor about it and see about getting the account credited.

I work for a large company too, and I do understand that mistakes get made every day. What counts for me is...what does a company do to fix mis-steps? On this issue, it looks like Handspring is at least trying to do the right things in the way of customer service.

The new unit should arrive tomorrow. Will keep all posted.

Hate the little issues with the Treo, but love the unit itself...I'm a 'non PDA' person that got converted to the fold by the Treo 90. The finish line is in sight! I'm keeping a positive spin on this.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tallmarvin
    [B]Well...here's the latest.

New Treo came via Airborne Express yesterday morning, indeed, a brighter display and all (hooray!) and a stylus that wouldn't fall out. So I did the sync thing, moved the data to the new Treo, and (although some apps got a little screwy), I figured that all was well...

...not...

Guess what...One hour of use later...*loose stylus again on the new unit*!!!

I have a gnawing feeling that the loose stylus is the tragic flaw of the 90. Mine is still tight, but on my first one, the stylus was tight too, and as I read the posts here, I kept checking mine, and it was fine. Then, suddenly, it came loose and stayed that way. So now I have the new one with the much better display and the new litle test apps on it, and I don't trust it. If this one does the same thing, I wont settle for another replacement. It's bye bye Treo for me. I hope it doesn't turn out that way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast