Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am in Ottawa, Canada and have received 2 replacements so far (so I am on my 3rd Treo). The first one the screen died, the second one had the stylus problem, and the latest one seems to have all those problems fixed.

I received all my replacments the following day, didn't have to pay for any of the replacments, and didn't have to pay any duty either. So I am pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Jeff.
    OK, I give up!

Got the *new* Treo replacement today. Stylus is snug. HOWEVER, when I laid the two PDA'S side by side and turned both on, the *newer* one had the old *duller* backlight!

Given a choice between a loose stylus and a possible 'older' Treo 90 with a backlight issue, I'll just use scotch tape on the loose stylus and keep the PDA with the brighter display.

I'm returning the *newer* unit tomorrow. No more switching either. I'll just live with the stylus issue---I've gone through about 5 Treos for various reasons since buying the original. No mas.

Of course, I have to call Handspring tomorrow to explain why they are getting the same PDA back from me instead of the newer, *better* one...arrgh...I'm getting dizzy.

BTW...I just noticed that the stylus points for the Treo 90 unscrews at *both* ends. Seems that the company would just get a new stylus end that is *slightly* larger at the top and would fit snugly in all units new and old w/o slippage. Sure would be cheaper than shipping units all over the country! :0
    Originally posted by Ennis
    . . . and secondly, having worked closely with telephone tech support people, I know how they handle calls that they think exhibit attitude.
    That's one of the reasons I have those conversations recorded. If one of my tech folks responds to customer attitude with other than uniform, consistent service, they get a serious talking-to the first time, and a polite but firm shove toward the exit the second time. There is no place for a 'tude in customer service - at least not at the professional companies.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe

That's one of the reasons I have those conversations recorded. If one of my tech folks responds to customer attitude with other than uniform, consistent service, they get a serious talking-to the first time, and a polite but firm shove toward the exit the second time. There is no place for a 'tude in customer service - at least not at the professional companies.

Kupe
    Yeah well you've missed my point entirely. I detect the "tude" from the guy who posted here, not the "professional company". Read my post again.
  5. jrs
    I called handspring on 8/20 about the loose stylus issue. I had my replacement Treo on 8/21. I couldn't believe it! The new unit has a super tight stylus (hopefully it will stay that way) and I too thought the screen seemed better (even before I read this post).
    I was very impressed with the speed and service.
  6. AMB
    Received the first Treo 90 from Handspring.com on August 3rd. The backlight died on August 11th while on a business trip. I called Handspring when I returned on the 17th and was told it would be a week before I had my replacement. It arrived a bit early (August 21st). The instructions for returning the first unit were a bitconfusing (place the RA sticker on the inside cover of the box and then place the airborne express label next to the RA sticker on the outside of the box...wait there is only one RA sticker, etc.).

Just when I had the replacement all set up and perfect (August 29th), the backlight dies. A call to Handspring informed me that it would be over a week before they would even ship a replacement for my replacement, they had none of the information from my previous replacement in the computer, and gave me a sale speech that the backlight problem was erradicated in late July and would not occur in any units shipping directly from Handspring in August or later. (Now why don't I believe that!) A call to customer service to complain about the insanley long wait time for a replacement of a replacement recieved assurance that the unit would ship immediatley because they do not have to screen new units because the backlight problem was erradicated in July.

Was anyone at Handspring listening to me? I received two units directly from Handspring in August and both died within a week of use!
    Originally posted by AMB

Was anyone at Handspring listening to me? I received two units directly from Handspring in August and both died within a week of use! [/B]
    For me that would be it. Time to get a difefrent PDA. Nuts to them.
    Hi,

I posted before concerning my loose stylus and possible returning the unit to handspring...

Well, after 10 (business) days, I finally got my new unit.. it was held at customss because Handspring didn't put a dollar value or a description on the box.. and not only that, I had to pay taxes on it, which ended up costing me another $65 (cnd).

As for the new unit, customs opened the package to see what it was, and i'm guess they played around with it abit, beacuse the power button rattles, and the sticker with the serial number looks as if someone tried to peel it.

I spent about 3 hours in total on the phone today, with handspring, and various other shipping companies trying to find out just where the hell my new unit was. Since there was no phone number on the package also, it had been sitting in customs since the 22nd of August.

I called Handspring when I got home, and they're going to refund me the money I payed at the customs office.. but I'm still pretty upset by this whole thing. I'm considering returning the new unit, and returning my old one too..

So just to let anyone who has a problem with their unit.. you might have a hassle on your hands if you send it back to Handspring.

David.
    I just got a replacement for my Treo 90 (stylus problem). I called thursday last week, got it today. I'm very happy with the support I've recieved from handspring.

Not only is the stylus more secure than it was when I bout the one I'm replacing, the screen is much better as well (the whites are much more white.

The unit does feel slightly heavier though...probably because of the new screen revision...ah well. I can live with that, since I was carrying around a Sony Clie S320 in a metal case before this...so anything is an improvement
    Originally posted by Derango
    I just got a replacement for my Treo 90 (stylus problem). I called thursday last week, got it today. I'm very happy with the support I've recieved from handspring.

Not only is the stylus more secure than it was when I bout the one I'm replacing, the screen is much better as well (the whites are much more white.

The unit does feel slightly heavier though...probably because of the new screen revision...ah well. I can live with that, since I was carrying around a Sony Clie S320 in a metal case before this...so anything is an improvement
    You didn't like the Clie? I don't know model numbers, but if you think you've stepped up to a Handsring from a Clie, color, hi Res PDA. you have to be kidding.
    It was a mono standard res device.

I don't like how sony releases units too quickly for people to make accessories for them. They've released 8 (!) new palms this year. I also don't like the form factor (which is what I really, really, really like about the treo...I'd take the form factor over the high res any day.

I just don't really like sony. I have to be the only one
    It was a mono standard res device.

I don't like how sony releases units too quickly for people to make accessories for them. They've released 8 (!) new palms this year. I also don't like the form factor (which is what I really, really, really like about the treo...I'd take the form factor over the high res any day.

I just don't really like sony. I have to be the only one
    I don't choose Sony because they aren't Mac friendly, and that matters to me, but I've owned them, I like them, and I love the "form factor" of the color units. They also have jog shuttles and side controls. Give me a break.
    You like what you want to like, I'll like what I want to like. Don't try telling me what I'm supposed to like in a handheld. I'm not going to continue this discussion, since its become a waste of my time.
    You like what you want to like, I'll like what I want to like. Don't try telling me what I'm supposed to like in a handheld. I'm not going to continue this discussion, since its become a waste of my time.
    I think you're a little sensitive. You're the guy who came on here trashing Sony. I didn't trash Handspring. I just pointed out what I like about Sony.

Who is telling you what to like in a handheld? Who cares what you like in a handheld?
    Yeah well you've missed my point entirely. I detect the "tude" from the guy who posted here, not the "professional company". Read my post again.
    Not necessary to read it again. The customer's 'tude is immaterial. The CS's 'tude is everything. The customer can be as upset and obstinate as they want, but the CS best be neutral to that - in case they've misread the customer.

Your post inferred that you ". . . know how they handle calls that they think exhibit attitude." (meaning CS folks). My response was directly to that line - if CS responds differently to customers that exhibit 'tude than they do with customers that fawn over them, they should be fired. Do you feel otherwise?

Re-read my previous post - maybe you'll get it this time.

Kupe
    Did you guys have to pay them $20 before they'd even talk to you? I emailed them about the stylus issue and this is what I got:

--
    Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. At this point, I would recommend
    you contact our Technical Support Line directly. Our agent will be required
    to collect standard billing information, as there is a $19.95 charge for all
    technical support issues for owners of Handspring products over 90 days old.
    We will continue to troubleshoot your issue, which may result in a
    replacement. If your unit is over 90 ninety days since the original
    purchase date, should the mandatory troubleshooting steps be unsuccessful,
    our agent may waive the $19.95 technical support charge if we issue you a
    replacement.

---

I guess this is so they have a way to charge people when its a software or non-failure issue, but it sure struck me as strange...
    Originally posted by Kupe

Not necessary to read it again. The customer's 'tude is immaterial. The CS's 'tude is everything. The customer can be as upset and obstinate as they want, but the CS best be neutral to that - in case they've misread the customer.

Your post inferred that you ". . . know how they handle calls that they think exhibit attitude." (meaning CS folks). My response was directly to that line - if CS responds differently to customers that exhibit 'tude than they do with customers that fawn over them, they should be fired. Do you feel otherwise?

Re-read my previous post - maybe you'll get it this time.

Kupe
    Certainly you mean implied. The post can't infer. You can infer. I can infer. The post can only imply.

BTW, I reread your post. I infer from it what you seem to think I didn't.

Isn't litereacy wonderful?

Isn't litereacy wonderful?
    indeed.
  19. AMB
    A few weeks ago I posted my "customer service" experience which can be summed up that Handspring's replacement for my backlight defective Teo 90 was itself backlight defective, despite their claim that they eliminated the defective units from their inventory before my first Treo shipped.

My insistance that a 5-6 business day wait for a replacement to a replacement did get me a new Treo 90 in just 3 business days but... They sent me an "older" Treo 90 with the stylus problem!

Fortunately I have found that one layer of scotch tape placed just under the shaped end of the stylus keeps it from falling out. I would recommend this solution to anyone considering sending their Treo back for a replacement...for you never know what Handspring will send you to "fix" the situation.
    Just received another 'replacement' Treo, although with the 'dimmer' (earlier model refurb?) screen. After balancing the desire for a brighter screen vs. using tape around the stylus, I'm going to return the replacement and just live with the stylus issue....and drop the entire matter.

I will give HS credit for trying to get the situation resolved.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12