1.    #1  
    I have owned my Treo for about a month now.
    Here is a list of problems that I have run into, and haven't noticed any posts about (I know I didn't read all the posts out there), so I was wondering if anybody knows anything about these problems, or has experienced similar ones.

1. I have noticed a problem that has occurred to my Treo 270 (and to the Treo's of 2 of my friends, but never with my friend who owns a 180). It occurs infrequently (1 in every 10 outgoing calls perhaps), but it is a cause of concern. It goes like this: when MAKING AN OUTGOING CALL the phone will beep as if the other phone is out of network reach and the screen will revert back to the regular Palm screen (instead of showing the Dialing screen). However, the call would actually be in progress & the number is actually dialed and the other end may pick up (this is occurring with the Treo unaware that a phone call is in progress). When this occurs u can actually call the same person again and hear the other person get all perplexed on the phone when they receive another call (while your call is active) and the caller and Call Waiting is u again! U can also turn off the Treo power and the call would still be in progress. The best way to describe this problem is that occasionally it seems that the Treo as a phone and the Treo as an interface for the phone become separate creatures, where the phone is functioning normally, yet the interface is totally unaware (the only way to end the call is to turn off wireless mode or if the other party hangs up). Usually when this error occurs, and u try to make a phone call (using the interface, which allows u to do so as if there is not other phone call in progress) a message saying something about Fixed Dialing being unavailable shows up (which makes no sense because I didn't ask for any function related to Fixed Dialing to be carried out), and then u can choose between Yes and No (or something like that) and then u can make the other phone call.

2. Whenever I use the ListType (zero with three dots) button to get the additional characters for a given key (e.g. the shortcut) while entering data into a text field, I must actually pick something from the dropdown list that appears using the stylus or press the spacebar. If I tap on the any other place on the screen I get a FATAL ERROR message and I must reset (that is all the message says by the way, FATAL ERROR. I check in your error message page and didn't find anything about this). If I do a system reset the problem goes away. However, if I do a soft reset again it comes back. Note that I have no third party software running to cause this (I did several Hard Resets and tested this, and the error still occurs). One of the extensions native to the Treo may be causing this error, and only way to overcome it is to perform a system reset. Anybody got any ideas?

3. If I’m an area with weak or no coverage for a while and then move to an area with strong network coverage the Treo fails to pick up a signal again, and the only way to get it working as a phone is to turn Wireless Mode off and back on.
    4. System Resets on my unit: performing a system reset on my device requires that I release the scroll up button before the Prefs screen shows up - which is contrary to what is indicated on Handspring’s website regarding this point (http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...020&ResType=il) regarding how to perform one of these; but using my method works and (Beam Receive test shows that the System Reset has succeeded). Obviously this, unlike the other errors, doesn't bother me as a user of the Treo. However, it does raise concerns (in light of all the other issues I outlined above) about the overall health of my unit's built-in software; this is why I am mentioning it.

Would appreciate some feed back on these. Thanks.
    Beblawi
    I feel with your first Problem if the one you tried to call does not answer and his Mailbox goes you canīt hang up! caus you do not have that active call interface!! so you have to tun off wireless mode to hang up the call!! is that right ?

cu orangebutton
    Slower than my NR70 was but i love my Treo 270......
    2. Whenever I use the ListType (zero with three dots) button to get the additional characters for a given key (e.g. the shortcut) while entering data into a text field, I must actually pick something from the dropdown list that appears using the stylus or press the spacebar. If I tap on the any other place on the screen I get a FATAL ERROR message and I must reset
    I have found this behavior related to many droplists. This is how I had my first Fatal Error within a few minutes of powering up my 270 for the first time.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    I have a 180 and just recently, I've been experiencing what you described as the first bug. It used to just happen just once in 50 calls or so, but now, it seems like it's happening every 5 calls!

And it seems so random. Sometimes, I would dial and just when it begins to ring, the treo switches back to the phone speed dial list by default and if i wanted to hang up, I would need to turn off wireless mode.

The thing that REALLY ticks me off is that sometimes I don't notice this as I'm using the phone (talking on it) and because it switches back to the default speed dial screen, it doesn't record the time I've been using the phone. So it's never recorded in my program, Cell Phone Tracker, so I always think I have more minutes than I really do.
    For issue no.2, just hit the backspace key and it closes the open drop-down menu.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by UniPalmer

I have found this behavior related to many droplists. This is how I had my first Fatal Error within a few minutes of powering up my 270 for the first time.
    Unipalmer: have you found a cure for this yet, or figured any reason why this might be happening?
    Beblawi
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by orangebutton
    I feel with your first Problem if the one you tried to call does not answer and his Mailbox goes you canīt hang up! caus you do not have that active call interface!! so you have to tun off wireless mode to hang up the call!! is that right ?

cu orangebutton
    yes this is right.

you have described only one scenario when this could happen..
    do you experience this problem only with the mailbox scenario or do you experience it more than this (but are particularly ticked off by the mailbox scenario)?

it is interesting that it seems this problem also occurs to 180's.
    Beblawi
    #1 and #3 happen to me fairly frequently. I have not solution for either, though.
    I'm experiencing #3 as well. Have to cycle the wireless mode several times a day when going from a weak/no signal area to a strong signal area.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    You know I definitely have the weak to strong signal problem. The other day a call dropped when walking about 10 feet in Barnes and Noble and then I couldn't get a network again. It came back full-strength after about 3 minutes of having wireless mode off. VERY ODD. I sorta accepted this as I used to have to cycle my Nokia all the time to pick up a better cell pop.

One other weird one. Have you folks send corrupted buttons when receiving SMS messages? This specifically relates to voice mail SMS messages but usually the OK button is garbled. Also odd. I have had a few other random occurences but they MIGHT be related to hacks.
    --Denny
    Originally posted by beblawi
    1. I have noticed a problem that has occurred to my Treo 270 (and to the Treo's of 2 of my friends, but never with my friend who owns a 180). It occurs infrequently (1 in every 10 outgoing calls perhaps), but it is a cause of concern. It goes like this: when MAKING AN OUTGOING CALL the phone will beep as if the other phone is out of network reach and the screen will revert back to the regular Palm screen (instead of showing the Dialing screen). However, the call would actually be in progress & the number is actually dialed and the other end may pick up (this is occurring with the Treo unaware that a phone call is in progress).
    I was thinkin' you were nuts for a while there, but I've had the same thing happen to me now.

Heck, I'm just happy to have a phone with a working backlight! Hopefully, they could slip a fix for this in with the GPRS patch.
    My Treo 180g 's experienced #1 and # 3 as well.
    I hope there will be some fix & update patch coming out soon ????
    One other weird one. Have you folks send corrupted buttons when receiving SMS messages? This specifically relates to voice mail SMS messages but usually the OK button is garbled. Also odd. I have had a few other random occurences but they MIGHT be related to hacks.
    I've seen that problem. Doesn't seem to affect functionality, just a weird occurence. I've had a similar issue with QuickWord when choosing colors in the text options dialog. The buttons are drawn in the wrong place but the function is still available if you tap when the button should be drawn.

Oh well,
    Rob
    Originally posted by dbasham
    You know I definitely have the weak to strong signal problem. The other day a call dropped when walking about 10 feet in Barnes and Noble and then I couldn't get a network again. It came back full-strength after about 3 minutes of having wireless mode off. VERY ODD. I sorta accepted this as I used to have to cycle my Nokia all the time to pick up a better cell pop.

--Denny
    yup, i've got it. no fix. but i pretty much don't care, as it doesn't affect functionality. weird tho'
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    Originally posted by beblawi

Unipalmer: have you found a cure for this [#2] yet, or figured any reason why this might be happening?
    It doesn't seem to be happening to my 270 right now. drknucklehead suggests using the backspace key to close a dropdown list without choosing an item.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!