1.    #1  
    Handspring quote:
    It is impossible for a user to determine whether a particular unit will fail, but in general, units that operate for longer than six weeks without backlight failure are unlikely to fail in the future
    Well...there goes that theory, because mine just failed after using it for 9 weeks!
    Thought I was one of the lucky ones...
    After just having spent 10 days without my phone due to the backlight problem, you have my sympathies.

Keep us posted on your experiences with Handspring, and what kind of turn-around time you end up getting.
    CRAP!!!

i just hit the six week mark and was jumping for joy.

ah well.

does anybody know if it seems connected to usage, i.e.: the more use the sooner the light goes? or the defective lights only have x hours worth of use before they go kerplooey, etc.?
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    Originally posted by matty
    CRAP!!!

i just hit the six week mark and was jumping for joy.

ah well.

does anybody know if it seems connected to usage, i.e.: the more use the sooner the light goes? or the defective lights only have x hours worth of use before they go kerplooey, etc.?
    My first one lasted three days, the second one is still holding up and working great for the past 6 weeks, although I'm resigned to the idea that it will eventually burn out as well. But Handspring has acknowledged and (hopefully) fixed the problem so I'm not worried. I'm just hoping that mine would burn out after Handspring have more than enough inventory of the good units so I know I would have the right one in my hands when the warranties expire. In the meantime I luv this thing! Who cares about the Xda or Kyocera "prototype"! It's no contest at all...
    Ed
    Mine died after 8 weeks. But on the plus side I called handspring at noon est. and had a new 270 the next morning! They are trying hard to keep everyone happy. I know I am.

Joshua
  6.    #6  
    You got yours the next day...? They told me they had a 4 day testing process and then, they would next day air it. They promised me a 5-7 business day replacement, and when I asked for compensation for 5-9 "real days" of not using my phone and paying Voicestream for the service (I asked for a belt holster which probably cost them $3 or $4, with no shipping, since they have to ship the unit, anyway), they replied that they would extend my "free" tech support after 90 days, but after having the unit for nine weeks, I think I got the tech stuff covered.

Was that a run-on sentence?

Also, what does a 4 day testing process consist of? Perhaps a robot turning on and off my new (which they won't confirm) unit
    a thousand times a day for 4 days.

I'd like my phone back...please (it would be nice to make a call without the use of a high intensity flashlight.
    Originally posted by immtbiker
    You got yours the next day...? They told me they had a 4 day testing process and then, they would next day air it. They promised me a 5-7 business day replacement, and when I asked for compensation for 5-9 "real days" of not using my phone and paying Voicestream for the service (I asked for a belt holster which probably cost them $3 or $4, with no shipping, since they have to ship the unit, anyway), they replied that they would extend my "free" tech support after 90 days, but after having the unit for nine weeks, I think I got the tech stuff covered.

Was that a run-on sentence?

Also, what does a 4 day testing process consist of? Perhaps a robot turning on and off my new (which they won't confirm) unit
    a thousand times a day for 4 days.

I'd like my phone back...please (it would be nice to make a call without the use of a high intensity flashlight.
    Compusa sells a nice L.E.D. flashlight that I think is called "photon". It comes in several colors and white and has a constant on switch.... not the best option, but it worked well for me and makes a darn nice keychain flashlight.

Joshua
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    My Treo screen died this morning and I've had my device for 7 1/2 weeks.

Win some lose some
  9.    #9  
    I gotta say that I am impressed! I called Handspring Friday, around 12 noon, and I received a replacement unit on Monday afternoon. 1 business day! I am taking a positive approach towards Handspring for truly trying to make the best of the situation. Hopefully, this one will be a keeper.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm impressed as well. My screen died this sunday (8/4). I called Handspring on Monday and got my replacement Treo on Wednesday. I'm back in business!!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Ditto here. My screen went out Tuesday evening. I called HS Wednesday and was told a replacement would be sent but could take a couple of days. This morning Airborne delivered my replacement. Everythings GREAT once again. Thanks HS.

To be perfectly honest I want to share this brief experience.

After the backlight went out, I picked up my Compaq iPaq 3835 thinking I could at least have some of the information I usually keep with me.

WOW ! What a brick. Less than two months ago I thought this was convenient.
    While there may be some advantages to a Pocket PC, my Treo defines convenience.
    Im still waiting since 2 Weeks for my replacement. They told me about another 1 Week minimum! I used my Treo 270 for 3 weeks until the light went down. I think they first replace the US. parts and then ship some to Europe, where I live :-(

Bad bad bad

Heiko
    today is my eight week anniversary and it welcomed me with the back light failure man was i upset thought after six weeks i was ok. called handspring they tell me approx 5 days. fred
  14.    #14  
    New thread. click here
    The dreaded backlight failure has hit my 270 after 11 weeks!

And just as I was getting used to the GPRS experience!
    Mine tied too! Think it is around 11-12 weeks since I got it.
    I think mine had shipped on June 14th.

I also just received this response (which I assume is boilerplate) to my initial email about my problem. There's no way I'm paying for a problem they already admitted was a quality issue.

I am sorry for the problem you are encountering. We will provide a series of
    steps to resolve your issue. Please follow the instructions listed below:

A soft reset tells your Communicator to stop what it is doing and start over
    again. All records and entries stored in your communicator are retained
    unless data was already deleted or scrambled before the soft reset. A soft
    reset solves a wide range of common problems.

*** An excellent illustration of a soft reset in found in your Treo's User
    Guide. ***

1. Unscrew the bottom tip of the Treo stylus, revealing the thin, flexible
    inserter pin.

2. Turn your around to view its rear side. Toward the bottom you will see a
    SIM door labeled "Palm Powered". Note the small round hole on the right hand
    edge of the SIM door.

3. Gently press the stylus inserter pin into the hole.

4. A successful soft reset is indicated by the brief appearance of the "Palm
    Powered" logo on the Treo screen, followed by the General Preferences
    screen. .................

............If the backlight still does not come back on then please contact our
    Wireless Technical Support Line directly. Our Agent will be required to
    collect standard billing information, as there is a $19.95 charge for all
    technical support issues for owners of Handspring products over 90 days old.
    We will continue to troubleshoot your issue, which may result in a
    replacement. If your unit is over 90 ninety days since the original
    purchase date, should the mandatory troubleshooting steps be unsuccessful,
    our Agent may waive the $19.95 technical support charge if we issue you a
    replacement.

Please call our toll-free, 24 hour a day line at 1-877-426-3777.

I just called them up and said my backlight went dead. Should have a new unit in my hand by wednesday.
    Called up and they put me through the whole support process. Finally took my info, including credit card. I was told it would be 3-5 days for my replacement.

Does anyone know if the replacement units are new units as opposed to refurbs?