1.    #1  
    I've been playing with both, and I am wondering if there is a clear favourite in the Palm community.

I was leaning towards ActionNames, as I liked that it would automatically colour entries based on categories, but as far as I can tell you can only do that for To Dos. I can't figure out a way to categorize (and thus colour) an appointment.

I'd be especially interested to hear the opinions of old Newton hands out there, especially those who used MoreInfo...

Thanks,
    johnny-0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    Originally posted by johnny0
    I was leaning towards ActionNames, as I liked that it would automatically colour entries based on categories, but as far as I can tell you can only do that for To Dos. I can't figure out a way to categorize (and thus colour) an appointment.
    I prefer DateBk5 which can do this for both appointments and ToDo's.

Also, Iambic will never get any of my money because I don't approve of their marketing practices.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I would bet among the Palm community it's a tie. Both I think have different purposes and are for different people.

Datebk5 is mainly a scheduling and ToDo program. Memos and the address book is included in it but more to link to todos and appointments. The amount of options and the robustness of the program is astonishing. It is the larger of the two, but for most people this kind of program is so essential that its not that big of a deal. A tip calculator at the same size would be considered a major piece of bloatware but for a calender program that really should be compared to desktop program in its completeness, I don't think about it much.

ActionNames has a better implimentation on the Address Book side of it. If you tend to compare appointments to the person a lot or field a lot of calls you want to remember, this is for you. Datebk5 does the same thing, but not as easily nor as seamlessly. Just as I see Datebk5 as a datebook with address book added to tie names to appointments, I see Action Names as a contact manager (slightly different from an address book) with mostly contacts with appointments linked to them. More icons but fewer options from which to choose from.

That's kinda of the best way to explain it. You may see the large size of Datebk5 as a minus but for an important program that goes to what your PDA is supposed to do in the first place, it's not a problem.

Personally, I use Datebk5. I only tried Action Names for a short time but I quickly switched to Datebk5. Great customer support, great mailing list to get tip on using Datebk5 to its full advantage, and a great program that keeps getting better. You really can't go wrong there. But to be honest, when usage of a genre of program is so split like it is now, 50-50, you really have to make the decision yourself. Like you are already doing, try both out. If you find you like using one program than the other, then go with it.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    I like ActionNames. It is not as cluttered as Datebk5 and you do not need to read a 100 page manual to learn about all its functions.
    Datebk5 because I am more interested in calendaring features. Volcanopele explained it very well.

Also, you should do a search for this topic, b/c it comes up often.
    Kelley
    So, it seems like these programs replace the original apps, rather than just link the two, am I right? I'm leery of using any enhancement apps that might alter the format in the data in the original app -- I've had problems before trying out Datebook4, and getting duplicate entries...
    I'm not sure. I thought Datebk4/5 used the data from the original app. So that when you enter phone info, for example, it is entered into both Datebk4/5 and the native application.
    A.) The Iambic marketing story is documented here: http://home.cfl.rr.com/rmattes/palmframe.htm.

In my opinion, it was a pretty stupid move, but many of the companies we use every day have done far, far worse (Enron pops to mind quickly, as does Exxon, Union Carbide, Microsoft, the various child-labor and sweatshop garment companies, etc.) It is up to you to decide how to respond to this sort of thing, but I would urge people to avoid hypocrisy.

B.) ActionNames, now 'Agendus', is a different program than Datebook is. It is more of a contact managment program, compared to Datebook's daily schedule organizer focus.

I have tried (and registered) both, and like both, but use Agendus. I REALLY wish they both came with better tutorials. I think there are dozens of features they have that I am not using to their fullest!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    I'm not sure. I thought Datebk4/5 used the data from the original app. So that when you enter phone info, for example, it is entered into both Datebk4/5 and the native application.
    Datebk3/4/5 does use quite a bit from the original Date Book. The database, some of the interface screens...

If you're getting duplicate entries, UnDupe from Stevens Creek (www.stevenscreek.com) is a good way to deal with them...
    Originally posted by Q

Datebk3/4/5 does use quite a bit from the original Date Book. The database, some of the interface screens...

If you're getting duplicate entries, UnDupe from Stevens Creek (www.stevenscreek.com) is a good way to deal with them...
    The newest Palm Desktop also eliminates duplicates, although it is a bit awkward to find the command. I think it is under 'tools'. The bottom choice will be 'addins', and clicking on that brings up a choice like 'delete duplicates' (I don't have the newest version here at work, unfortunately)

It is not as streamlined and elegant as 'UnDupe', but it does the job.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!