1.    #1  
    I have read in the past that Sprint has the exclusive marketing rights for the Treo 300 for an indefinite period of time. I wonder whether this means that Hand cannot deal with other cdma service providers with the Treo 300 product specifically, or with any cdma product. The reason I am curious is that I went on the Vz wireless website and their two products in the Treo price category are Audiovox products which seem quite uncompetitive to me. It would seem to me that Vz should logically be very eager to enrich their product offerings by adding a Treo to their availabilities. I can understand that Sprint after funding some of Treo's advertising expense would demand exclusivity. It is also in Sprint interest to appear to have longer term exclusivity to convince users to switch over to its network, instead of waiting for vz to offer treos also. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether the exclusive is specifically on the treo 300 or on all cdma treos? I guess the other logical question is whether or not Hand can offer the Treo 300 outside of Sprints coverage area, in Korea for example?
    The Kyocera 6035 was first carried by Sprint, then Verizon, and the name didn't change. The same will probably apply for the Treo 300.

I use Sprint myself, so I haven't paid too much attention to the situation with Verizon, but I do remember reading some posts stating the Verizon will release its own T300. The most widespread speculation I've read is that Verizon's version will follow Sprint's by one month.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    The Kyocera 6035 was first carried by Sprint, then Verizon, and the name didn't change.
    Actually, I believe Verizon had the 6035 first, then Sprint.
  4.    #4  
    Here is what I was looking for. I broke down and spent an hour reading press releases until I found what I wanted.

"As part of the partnership, Handspring has agreed to make Sprint the exclusive CDMA provider for the Treo, for a limited time. Handspring won't say how long a limited time is."

So Sprint's exclusivity is not related to model number manipulation. Vz simply cannot sell a Treo until Sprint's "limited time" expires.

What is the limted time period? It would seem like Hand would not want to give up the ability to sell to Vz for an extended period of time. I was trying to see if their was a way around the exclusivity and the way they phrased it, there wasn't. On the other hand, it makes no sense that Hand would not be permitted to sell cdma Treos in other international countries that Sprint doesn't have a presence. I am starting to think there is more bark than there is bite to this agreement. It looks structured to discourage people from waiting for vz to start marketing the Treo 300/

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts gentlemen.
    It would seem like Hand would not want to give up the ability to sell to Vz for an extended period of time.
    For the right price, just about any company will grant exclusive rights for any period of time.

I was trying to see if their was a way around the exclusivity and the way they phrased it, there wasn't.
    It doesn't matter how the press release is phrased. What matters is how the contract between Handspring and Sprint is phrased. And we (the public) only get to see the press release, not the contract.
  6.    #6  
    For the right price, just about any company will grant exclusive rights for any period of time.

My point was that because the value to Hand of selling treos through vz was so high, how could Sprint possibly come up with the "right price"?

It doesn't matter how the press release is phrased. What matters is how the contract between Handspring and Sprint is phrased. And we (the public) only get to see the press release, not the contract.

Excellent point! Perhaps it will take a few months to modify the Treo 300 for vz's network. Perhaps it will also take a few months to ramp the inventory to be able to support two large customers, so appearing to grant exclusivity merely disguises the delays associated with ramping up for a new customer.