1.    #1  
    Hi,

My wife and I are Prism users (she's a doc w/ heavy usage) and we're considering going w/ a 90. My main question is how does the storage media work? I currently use a CF card and can run apps directly from my card. I understand that the SM on the Treo is memory only. Does this mean that you have to move applications to main memory to use them, or, are they automatically moved. And if so -- is it fairly fast or very cumbersome.
    thanks -- dave
    Originally posted by David Vitale
    Hi,

My wife and I are Prism users (she's a doc w/ heavy usage) and we're considering going w/ a 90. My main question is how does the storage media work? I currently use a CF card and can run apps directly from my card. I understand that the SM on the Treo is memory only. Does this mean that you have to move applications to main memory to use them, or, are they automatically moved. And if so -- is it fairly fast or very cumbersome.
    thanks -- dave
    Hey Dave,

Here's how the storage cards work. First, the program you're intending to run is copied (automatically) into the Treo's memory, which means that you have to have at least that much memory available on the handheld itself to start with. The program then runs from internal memory. When you're done with the program, the files that were copied to the handheld are deleted (again, automatically), and the space that was taken up by them is freed up once more.

I wouldn't say it's cumbersome; for most programs, you don't even really notice a loading difference. Bigger files (those over 500k) lag a little, but it's no aggravating amount of time or anything. I've heard a few people complain, but it's certainly been fast enough for me, at least.

Hope that helps; everything's automated, so it's easy, but it's not quite the world's greatest solution...
    The memory card would work the same way it is in the Prism - except the software to do it, instead of being in a module, is built in to the operating system. If you are using PIDirect or something, you can still use that (though a different version...) on the Treo 90
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the response. One more question - if I'm using a program that also has a database (such as HandBase) will the data files also be stored over on the memory card and moved back and forth -- or will they need to reside on the main internal memory?
    thanks - dave
    Handspring's website sez this:

Some older applications do not support expansion cards. If you're running one of these older applications from an expansion card, and if it needs to look at a database, the database must be in the handheld's internal memory, and not the expansion card. The data can reside on the card, but in order to use the application, you must copy it to the handheld's internal memory.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

So it looks like the norm is that the database can be anywhere (I think the terminology is "expansion-aware") ... and the exception is that the database has to be in the internal memory.

Looks like a good question for HanDBase ... whose search box currently says "Temporarily Offline" ... but I bet they'd know.
    The memory card operation on the TREO uses VFS (Virtual File System). This is alway what other Palm OS devices use such as the M500. With VFS, you can store and launch your applications from the card. The application is downloaded from the card to the system RAM when you try to open and deletes itself from the system RAM when you exit it. If the application is VFS Aware (like WordSmith, TinySheet etc.), then you can keep your database, docs, spreadsheets, pictures etc. on the card and the app will be able to access them. I believe the file has to be stored in a Palm/Launcher directory or a variation of this.