1.    #1  
    Just got my Treo 90 and am amazed I do not have the ability in Contacts/Options/Preferences to list by Company. I do not want to list them by first or last name as my only options. Does anyone know a way to list by company like my Prism? I have too many contacts and listing by company is critical.

Thanks
    There are other Addressbook apps that users swear by, but I haven't tried them since I've found AB and Contacts work for my needs.

Here's something you would have to try at your own risk. You could beam the Address App itself from your old PDA. Note that I haven't done it, but it might work. Get a copy of the freeware app Filez and put it on your previous machine that had datebook. Open filez. Click on View and Edit Files. Make dure ROM at the bottom of your screen is checked. Tap on the addressbook app and select Beam from the menu.

Note that this will erase Contacts from RAM in your Treo 90 when it installs the old Addressbook. IF it works, your files should all be intact, since you only beamed the app. Like I said, I haven't tried it. But if you're going to attempt it, FURCRISSAKE BACKUP YOUR TREO! Oh I'm sorry. Did I get adamant there for a minute. The reason that I am is that to the best of my recollection from the Users Manual that Contacts actually resides in RAM, not on the ROM Chip. The ROM was too small to accomodate all the Treo apps, so they're compressed in ROM.

I believe that only a hard reset will decompress Contacts and bring it back. That's why it would be REALLY important to back up, since hard resets delete everything.

If you have a SD, you can get BackupBuddyVFSFree from the usual sites. It restores your system to prefection. (Yes, I've tried restoring already.) Filez and BBVFSFree are both freeware.

A much safer and extremely time-consuming option would be to insert your company names in the Last Name field and insert the person's full name in the First Name field with their last name first. I believe that Contacts would then let you find by both company name and last name, since it seems to search both fields at the same time.

Best of luck.
    Action Names by Iambic.com will allow you to sort your contacts by company name. It will also allow you to dial the number without having to copy and paste.

As a side note, you may not be using the fast lookup feature of the contact list fully. If you know the person that you want to call, all you need to do is type a few letters of the persons first and/or last name. No more scrolling through names!
    The problem with listing by company is that it adds one more index to the AddressBook database, slows down the search and uses up precious RAM. I suspect that is why there is no sort by company feature.

I have tries some of the other options:

Action Names - good but a little slow while it builds indexes for custom ordering. I dont like the wait dialogs while it builds these index files. Otherwise ActionNames package is very powerful and does a lot of integration between calendar, to do and contacts.

TakePhone - pretty good but ugly UI. Very flexible searching with no indexes created. Dial enabled for Treos.

321 Contact - very impressive and slick UI with color categorization. I like this one a lot.

There are a couple of others like AddressBookPro and AddressBookPlus available on PalmGear but I dont believe they are dial enabled.

Another way to look at the problem is to use IntelligentFind from www.intelligentfind.com. This is like having Google on your Treo.

Perhaps Chapura will dial enable Key Contacts. That would be a useful combination.
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    TakePhone - pretty good but ugly UI. Very flexible searching with no indexes created. Dial enabled for Treos.
    ugly UI ?!?!?!?

I'm hurt to the bones...

Anyway - I think this is a good spot to do a sort of a poll -

Anyone - post here a bitmap of how a GUI should look like !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com