1.    #1  
    I bought my 180 when they first came out and I am very happy with it.
    However, when I bought it, the 270 wasn't available yet. I stupidly thought that if I liked the 180, I could drop another hundred bucks or so to upgrade to the color version once it came out.
    Now I find out that my 180 is worth $0 in trade-in towards a 270. Even if I sell the 180 myself and buy the 270 with my exsisting phone plan, it will cost me $699!!!! (New customers can get it for $499.)
    Are things as hopless as they seem for upgrading?
    Any ideas on how to get a 270 without breaking the bank?
    Handspring may eventually offer this option...

Just look at all their other PDA's...eventually they offer the trade up. But not right away. Especially not when they are having trouble keeping them in stock.

Just look at history...they usually offer the trade up eventually. Its just not economically practical at the moment.
    Originally posted by gmalick
    Now I find out that my 180 is worth $0 in trade-in towards a 270. Even if I sell the 180 myself and buy the 270 with my exsisting phone plan, it will cost me $699!!!! (New customers can get it for $499.)
    Call Voicestream (if that's your carrier) and tell them that you're going to buy the 270 and switch to Cingular (or vica versa) and if they would like to keep you as a customer they need to do something for you. They will credit you the difference in price on your bill and you can get the phone for $499.00. They did that for me. If they won't dance with you, switch to the other carrier and get it for $499.00 anyway.

When I bought my 180 I was already a Voicestream customer. I called them and did what I describe above and they credited my account the difference between the 180 with activation and without activation.

Bruce
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    If he got his VS contract with his 180, then he still has quite a bit of time left on his contract. VS has no reason to dance for him now. In a few months, when he actually can leave, perhaps. The problem is with one glance they know you're bluffing.